Longhorn breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

FROGHOLLOWFARM

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk on here good and bad about Longhorns.What I want to know is,How do you market your cattle to get a fair price compared to other breeds and why should a beginner consider them.
From what I read on here you either raise them for the longest horns possible or to show them,but what other market is there for them.I know you can't make money at the salebarn and the assoc is in turmoil.So what are the positives to raising them.
I don't think people should run down a breed of of cattle just because they don't like them,but I rarely hear any positives about them.I would just like to hear some good qualities about them and why should they be considered.Thanks :D

FROGHOLLOWFARM":1s8yh9kv said:
There has been a lot of talk on here good and bad about Longhorns.What I want to know is,How do you market your cattle to get a fair price compared to other breeds and why should a beginner consider them.
From what I read on here you either raise them for the longest horns possible or to show them,but what other market is there for them.I know you can't make money at the salebarn and the assoc is in turmoil.So what are the positives to raising them.
I don't think people should run down a breed of of cattle just because they don't like them,but I rarely hear any positives about them.I would just like to hear some good qualities about them and why should they be considered.Thanks :D
im not a longhorn breeder.but i agree with you people should not put down breeds of cattle.everyone has their own reasons for the breed they raise.people should respect eachothers choice in cattle.longhorns are a legend breed in my opion.each breed has its on place an use.

Longhorns are easy keepers, will eat and flourish on just about anything. They are very easy calving. The calves are born on an average of around 50 lbs. and grow quickly.

The meat from a longhorn is very lean and low in cholesterol. Marketing to health conscious people is a plus here.

Also, it's always a pleasure for me during calving season because you never know what the calf will look like. It's alot easier for me to look out in the pasture, and be able to tell my cattle apart from a distance, than having them all the same color, and having to walk up to them to check ear tags or tattos, to tell who is who.

There are several others, these are just a few.

I understand that they are more disease resistant. Personally, I would find that very desirable.

Alice

No, you won't hear many positives about them from mainstream beef breeders. Much of this stems from people just not knowing anything about them. They aren't polled and they don't all come in solid black. Many people seem to be afraid of their horns.

Positives about them are: low birth weights, easy calving which results in less stress on the mothers, especially in first calf heifers, lean beef, hybrid vigor, excellent when used in cross breeding programs for lean beef with less fat and lower cholesterol and more pounds of lean beef produced instead of more fat which goes to the waste bin. Excellent mothering and milking abilities, doclity and ease of handling (there are exceptions to the rule in any breed).

Negatives are: wrong color (unless crossed with Charolais which results in a big growthy calf without the traditional Longhorn colorations), horns unless crossed with a polled animal, less muscling unless crossed with another beef breed.

Outlets for them range from breeding seedstock animals for breeding or show, roping animals, lean beef (either purebred or crossbred), replacement females for crossbreeding programs, bulls for use in crossbreeding programs and/or first calf heifers. Plus they're easy on the eyes and the pocket book as they eat less and produce more pounds of lean meat at a lower cost per animal. Low maintenance and hardiness as well.

Other breeders will probably have more good things to say about them as well. As for the turmoil in our national association, that's not the cattle's fault. Unfortunately, many unethical things have been going on for quite some time. Finally, these things have come to light and about as many people are happy about it as unhappy about it. It will take some time to get all of this ironed out, unruffle the feathers of those who are unhappy and get back down to the business of running an association that's for all members and not just a handful of some who think they are special and are the chosen ones.

It was a combination of factors that sold longhorns for me (a hobby rancher with both the wife and I working full time town jobs to support our ranch habit):

1. First and foremost, they are extremely low maintenance. As a complete newbie to the cattle business, I need all of the help I can get from the animals. Many folks refer to them as "weekend cattle" because they require so little care. Having to do a 24-hour watch to help pull calves, with the potential to lose a percentage of calves and/or cows, wasn't something I was interested in. The breeder we bought ours from has raised longhorns for 24 years and has yet to pull the first calf. They are also highly disease resistant and almost completely self sufficient. I check on mine about once a week - go down with a bucket of range cubes and they come running when I call.
2. They are efficient and effective foragers. We have 45 acres or so of pasture that was neglected for 10 years before we bought it. Longhorns will clear that out better than most anything but goats, plus I can run more per acre than most breeds if I want to scale up.
3. There is an increasing market for grass fed lean beef, at least in this area. Longhorns will get docked heavily at auction if you go that route, but that would be a last resort for me. I already have several people interested in buying freezer beef when it's available. Plus there is a lot of money to be made at the registered longhorn sales, if your cattle have enough horn. You can also sell or lease them as roper stock and you can sell the horns and hide in addition to the meat.
4. They are very docile, despite their reputation. After two days, mine would come when called and follow me around as directed. The reputable breeders cull heavily for disposition - the last thing you want is a bad attitude attached to a 6 foot set of horns.
5. They're gorgeous and have an infinite number of horn and hide color combinations. People just love to look at them.
6. I don't know if this holds true everywhere, but every single person associated with longhorns that I've talked to has been extremely nice and helpful. Everyone is someone that I would like to get to know better.

The bottom line is you need to decide what fits your individual situation. If you're a small operation near a decent sized or larger town, direct sales to health conscious foodies is a real market. If you're running a large commercial operation, you have to maximize weight gain (longhorns are slower growing), pack your trailers (doesn't work so good with lots of horns), and sell to large commercial buyers who will dock you 10% to 50%. Not such a good option for purebred longhorns. However, as already mentioned, some commercial breeders do use them as a cross to get easy births and hybrid vigor.

All I can tell you is that I've been delighted with mine. They're maintaining weight and looking good in the midst of the worst drought I can remember with nothing provided by me except a water tank and scrub pastureland. I'd encourage you to take a hard look at them.

We began our farm by leasing to a longhorn breeder. Our, 28 acre, farm had not been in use for over 5 years. The former owners clear cut it years ago and it was really grown up. By the end of 6 mo. you semi walk through it now two years later there are paths to to top of the hill. Not clean but they enjoy it. Three cases of Pinkeye in 2 years but when we put out rabon blocks or minerals we don't see any. As ETF said virtually carefree. We had one this year we really worried about. Gem she has a broken hip, from birth fall or such (unsure). We worried about her calving, but NNNNOOO problems, small meant no complications. I'm am not saying it don't happen but percentage wise, slim to never.

Warpaint is on the road a lot, so for me they are a blessing. Plus they are like children, most of the time they do as told. They know there names when called. They know where we sleep in the house they are so intelegent. They stand out by the fence in the mornings and call us to get up to get their treats. Its great.

They are a great date. We used to sit in the house and watch TV now we sit outside, with cooler, and watch the cows. They are each like us, individuals.

Keep reading up on them then decide I myself love them and I was the wishy-washy one in the beginning, now I wouldn't give them up. :heart:

So far, posters on this thread have "hit the nail on the head", so to speak about Longhorns. They've covered about everything... ;-)

I will add that according to the experts, Longhorns required about 80% of the forage, hay, etc. as other beef breeds do to maintain their conformation. They eat just about anything with no ill effects. When we got our place in 2002, the pastures were about 50% weeds, with bermuda grass struggling to spread. Now...we probably only have a 5-10% weed problem (due to Longhorn grazing and good pasture management and mowing weeds).

The Longhorns are very disease-resistant, but they still should have the usual vaccination program.

Calves just slip out...no need to even think about pulling one.

Easily trained via verbal or hand signals, body language. Each one has it's unique personality. They will respect your space with very little training. (I've found that Longhorns are easier to "train" than dogs I've had...lol...and a LOT easier to train than horses...) They load and unload in trailers calmly and orderly as well as re-locate from one pasture, alleyway, etc. to another in a calm manner.

Fantastic maternal instincts and nursing; and bulls have strong libido. Predators don't stand a chance around them...even calves will investigate and charge a small animal (rabbit, dog, cat, etc.).

Marketing & Selling:

Primary market is via Private Treaty, On-The-Farm Sale at Published Prices, and occasional specialty Longhorn auction sales. Sales to other LH breeders seeking your bloodlines for seedstock, "hobbists" looking for pasture ornaments, "weekend" ranchers, lean freezer beef, commercial producers looking for cross-breeding to 1st calf heifers (and other females). And, of course, "Sale Barn" animals that don't make the breeding cut and/or conformation "mistakes".

In today's market HORNS SELL. Large, full-bodied types without emphasis on "horn" sell to some markets (e.g., commercial cattle cross-breeding), and, seem to be the favorite of judges in the show circuit...but not always the case...depends on the show. Fuller bodied Longhorns are also used to out-cross to one's "thinner-bodied" animals to increase their body score.

Colorful patterns also sell well (except at Sale Barn).

Marketing of Longhorns is Nationwide. Buyers will travel long distances (or pay to have animal hauled) to get one or more they are looking for...color, horn, bloodlines, etc. In our Texas Panhandle location we have customers from Tennessee to California. We have purchased our own seedstock from breeders in a variety of States. Most of our own sales have been the result of potential buyers going to our website...some have purchased from us "sight unseen" based on our descriptions and photos.

With a Longhorn, if you have current photos of them and your brand on them, it is highly unlikely that you would NOT be able to identify yours if it gets out and/or stolen. Every LH has a unique color pattern, much like a fingerprint. Even if 2 animals appear to look alike, there is always one or more marks on them that makes them unique...no worry about an ID ear tag coming off and not know WHO the animal is.

Of course, there is always a market for colorful hides, horn and head mounts, etc... However, you do need to find a taxidermist that won't sock it too you on preserving these...

They are very curious animals, love to stand for pictures, and some are naturally very tame (based on certain genetics and other calm individuals in their pasture) and enjoy being petted. If you are calm yourself around them, treat them with respect, let them know YOU are the Alpha animal, use their names, they will respond accordingly. HOWEVER, if you don't treat them fairly...well...they DO have the advantage (aka horns)...lol.

Bill

"they do as told. They know their names"

"Easily trained via verbal or hand signals"

:shock: :help:

WHAT on earth would I talk to a Longhorn about with sign language!!!

Brandonm2":gnagfxii said:

That's how they train them to pull a cart or wagon.

I know. I saw it on TV. :lol:

Hey you know one thing I forgot to mention, the best reasonyet to have longhorns........

They LOVE THISTLES! Mine eat the flowers as candy. We rarely have a cow pass one that they don't eat it. Great weed eaters! :cboy: 8) :D :) :lol:

Brandonm2":1779pdzr said:

"Oh ye unbelievers..."

Talk:

Stop!
Come!
Go!
Wait!

Say their Pasture Name!

P.S.: At least with LONGHORNS you don't have to restrain them to read their ear tag and look up the number in your record book to find out WHO the animal is! Each longhorn is different in appearance... just couldn't resist this jab...lol.

I'm sure everthing posted here is true about Longhorns

"BUT"
you can get the same good qualities in most breeds ..

WORANCH":27duxup9 said:

"BUT"

Without coming across as a smart aleck, this thread isn't about most other breeds. It's about the pros and cons of longhorns. There are a lot of misconceptions out there, and to someone new to cattle, this is good info.

I see more and more longhorns around my neck of the woods in NW Iowa. The only things I know about longhorns are they are America's first cattle breed and they will live on anything. I do have one question though: I see one longhorn pasture where the cattle have real wide and long horns and then the other guy's place have horns that are tall. Do you need to spread the horns or are there different horn traits within the breed?

ArrowHBrand":2sptl0vm said:
I see more and more longhorns around my neck of the woods in NW Iowa. The only things I know about longhorns are they are America's first cattle breed and they will live on anything. I do have one question though: I see one longhorn pasture where the cattle have real wide and long horns and then the other guy's place have horns that are tall. Do you need to spread the horns or are there different horn traits within the breed?

In the attempt to keep the longhorn from goin into extinction, there were 7 families, that preserved their own bloodlines.

The trend today, is for longer, flatter horn growth, but there are breeders that still prefer the classic twists and high horns of days gone by.

A kinda longwinded way to answer your question, it's in the bloodlines.

A couple of examples....

100_0463.jpg

100_0469.jpg

WORANCH":3vefl5fz said:

"BUT"

How many people have you heard of have been told to stay away from red meat?
If you read the cholesterol count, Fat and calories and tell me what good qualities there are.
foodQualities.jpg

Also here is the links for other helpful information. or visit http://www.tlbaa.org.
http://tlbaa.org/longhornbeef.html
http://tlbaa.org/breed/why.html

breedguidelines.jpg

Now why wouldn't you have longhorns! :D

WagaAgeyv":3kbeoq3v said:
If you read the cholesterol count, Fat and calories and tell me what good qualities there are.

That is exactly the market for someone I know. Dr. told patient if he was going to eat red meat it had to be LH.

WagaAgeyv":zon1fl5w said:
WORANCH":zon1fl5w said:

"BUT"

foodQualities.jpg

Also here is the links for other helpful information. or visit http://www.tlbaa.org.
http://tlbaa.org/longhornbeef.html
http://tlbaa.org/breed/why.html

breedguidelines.jpg

Now why wouldn't you have longhorns! :D

OK I was'nt going to post on this again but you brought it up .

First your chart just says longhorn it does'nt say what cut of meat was compared to the others . I'm sure LH meat is leaner with no fat . But I did notice on the web site it stated:

1 Be careful not to overcook it.

2 Watch it closely while cooking

3 Add damp mesquite or cherry wood chips to the fire for an extra flavor.

4 Remember, the meat cooks quickly so watch it carefully.

I think this is just warnings not to over cook, are it will be like shoe leather. But is over cooking ,medium rare or medium?
and it may have no taste.
Maybe you can help me by posting a link showing shear force test on LH beef compared to other breeds to show how tender it is .

Now lets look at the other link you posted

Tradition & Nostalgia. The Texas Longhorn is the living symbol of the Old West. Wherever the western influence is desired-front pasture, cattle drive, or tourist attraction-you'll find a demand for this magnificent breed.

Horns & Hide. The Texas Longhorn is worth money even after it has outlived its usefulness as a beef producer. Top dollars are paid for the horns, skulls, and mounts that are used in the popular Southwestern decor of businesses and homes.

Even TLBAA will admit LH are raised for Tradition & Nostalgia and Horns & Hide..

Warpaint said this was not about other breeds but statements like this to beginers leaves the impression that other breeds have to be watched 24 hours aday while calving . THATS NOT TRUE . I have not pulled a calf for size or lost a cow durring calving in along time , does it happen, yes .

Having to do a 24-hour watch to help pull calves, with the potential to lose a percentage of calves and/or cows, wasn't something I was interested in. The breeder we bought ours from has raised longhorns for 24 years and has yet to pull the first calf. They are also highly disease resistant and almost completely self sufficient. I check on mine about once a week - go down with a bucket of range

LH are no more Disease/Parasite Resistance than most other breeds . The first vac. given to our cattle was for Bangs in the mid 70s .

LH breeders are almost as bad as Angus breeders about claiming their breed is the cure all for the cattle business.

I know all the LH breeders will be all over me but I want to ask one thing .
ANSWER TRUTHFULY

what % of your calves do you sell as culls (bulls and heifers)?

well 2 things Do you ever ultersound your bulls or calves?

I will have more later I have a few chores to do now .. :D

Latest posts