Longest gestation time you've seen

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a recordkeeping conundrum.

Just had a calf from a 2nd timer, and don't know if she was bred when I last saw her, or I missed it 3 weeks later, which rarely happens.

Lets start with some averages.. My herd bakes the buns a little longer, 288 days is the average, and 290 days is the most common, bulls usually are a couple days later than heifers, as is often the case. This cow's first calf (a bull) was born at 296 days, and her mother also held on to them particularly long. Now this calf was concieved when I saw her last bred, it would make it 302 days, a full 6 days longer than the most I've ever recorded... The cow is a Saler/Gelbvieh, and the calf is linebred GV as well.

So what do you think it is? 302 days or 281 days? What's the longest gestation time you've ever seen?

I had one cow that was always late by at least 2 weeks. One time he was 304 days from AI date. I have kept replacements from her and they all go long also but not as much as she did.

I might have missed it, and it might not even matter, but was it a bull or heifer? and how big was it compared to last time she calved? Same sire as last calf?
Our Simmi's average 285 days, and since we AI I KNOW when they conceive. That makes things simple, at least for me!
Lastly, just for curiosity sake, does it matter? Or is it just you trying to decided if you missed a heat or not?

Both her calves were bull calves, both around 80ish lbs. Same sire both times.

It doesn't *really* matter, but the Limousin association here seems to put emphasis on short gestation times, I'm not sure if that's to give the cows more time to breed back? It would also help keep birthweights low I'm sure, if he was born at 282 days he's have been a weenie guy. I was really just wondering about whether I missed a heat.

I just saw your post in the "selecting semen" thread saying you have several cows that don't cycle for a long time after calving, that has never been the problem with mine here, the problem is making them settle. I'm willing to bet this cow will be in the first cycle again next year (may 25th bull release date).

OK, I'm just kinda checking to see if over 300 days was unheard of, and I guess not... which is good for her because it means she bred before the 3rd cycle. I'm looking forward to what she can do this year, her first calf she weaned at about 600 lbs, which is pretty good for a first attempt, and she was a May calf herself, so she calved at 22 months. I kept her steer from last year as freezer beef, he looks pretty good so far, a bit of good grass will do him good as right now there's just enough grass to spoil his appetite for hay, but not enough to really fill the belly.

Holstein cow at 301 today. Has not been bagged up tight or got real loose and did go in with beef bull if there was one here till 8/13 so due around 5/21. Don't have anyone due to beef bull till June so I don't think there was one anywhere close?! AI once and preg checked 8/12 and again to sex a heifer calf on 9/2...... Tho vet is coming to look at her tomorrow.

I guess it depends on where you set your due date.. if it's about 280 days, i have MANY that go 2 weeks over, but 3 weeks past that i haven't recorded... until now.

302 she went. Induced at 10:30 am and calved with some help around 1pm. Haven't weighed the heifer calf yet as I can't lift her! 135#+ I'd say. Both cow and calf ok.

WOW, that's some weight for a heifer! I've never had a heifer that heavy, or gestated that long... I guess inducing wasn't a bad idea

I'm not sure it was the inducing or the sleeve job to check the calf but I was shocked she laid down and was pushing. I'll weigh her tonight. With help of hired man!

FIL had Shorthorn cow go 13 days over this year with 121 # heifer.

One of my last heifers born (from the cow I had the thread "should I brace for twins") had a 130ish lb heifer... I'm used to carrying calves, 140 is about my limit though... I had to carry a couple about 300 yards this year from the field to the pen... I did it 50 yards at a time. That heifer was 291 days. I found older cows hold them longer too.

Latest posts