Long Gone Cowboy Legends

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I had to go to the S.E. part of Oklahoma this weekend for a funeral of a cousin while there I took some pictures out at the Mount Olivet Cemetery. This is a well known cemetery for Circus people and also some well known cowboys. It is called "Mt Olivet Cemetery Showman's Rest and Bull Rider's Reprieve''. If your ever around Hugo Oklahoma it is worth the stop to visit it. You can Google it and read a lot about it some very interesting tomb stones there.

TODD WATLEY

FRECKLES BROWN

PART 1

I don't think they'll ever be another bull rider like Lane Frost. Seems like way too often "The Best" leave this old world sooner than we think they should. I'd like to visit Mt. Olivet sometime.

JMJ Farms":1blm5bfc said:
I don't think they'll ever be another bull rider like Lane Frost. Seems like way too often "The Best" leave this old world sooner than we think they should. I'd like to visit Mt. Olivet sometime.
For the PRCA era, I think I'd go with Jim Shoulders. Gary Leffew and Donnie Gay were exceptional and Ty Murray is probably the most natural rough stock rider we will ever see. No doubt Lane Frost is one of the Top 5 and always going to be in the discussion for the best ever. He was a very special bull rider.
BTW JMJ, I realized today I didn't PM you the pics of that 45 that I said I would. I'll do that this week.

js1234":2nbp1es8 said:
JMJ Farms":2nbp1es8 said:
For the PRCA era, I think I'd go with Jim Shoulders. Gary Leffew and Donnie Gay were exceptional and Ty Murray is probably the most natural rough stock rider we will ever see. No doubt Lane Frost is one of the Top 5 and always going to be in the discussion for the best ever. He was a very special bull rider. All those guys were from a different era, no doubt.
BTW JMJ, I realized today I didn't PM you the pics of that 45 that I said I would. I'll do that this week.

js1234":bgc3id1n said:
For the PRCA era, I think I'd go with Jim Shoulders. Gary Leffew and Donnie Gay were exceptional and Ty Murray is probably the most natural rough stock rider we will ever see. No doubt Lane Frost is one of the Top 5 and always going to be in the discussion for the best ever. He was a very special bull rider.

Ty Murray hands down. He rode in all the rough stock divisions, rode anything you put under him. I met him once and shook his hand. I just remember how big his hand was, it was like shaking the hand of Andre the Giant.

Bestoutwest":3lqwknp2 said:
js1234":3lqwknp2 said:

Ty Murray hands down. He rode in all the rough stock divisions, rode anything you put under him. I met him once and shook his hand. I just remember how big his hand was, it was like shaking the hand of Andre the Giant.
No doubt he is the best all around rough stock cowboy of all time. I think he was talking about bull riding in particular.
But, like I mentioned, it'd be hard to argue with saying Ty Murray was the best bull rider of the PRCA era as he's by anyone's measurement, one of the Top 3-5. Truly gifted.

I had the good fortune to meet and get to know a number of those long gone legends (Freckles, Jim, Casey.....). Along with being real good cowboys they were an absolute hoot to hang out with. When I was first going down the road I traveled some with Bobby Wagner and of course he knew and had competed against all of those old boys. Being a young kid still wet behind the ears I was really impressed by the company I got to hang out with.

Thanks js1234. I'd love to see it.

Yeah I wasn't even really saying Lane was the absolute best. Maybe I used that quotation a little too loosely. But he's definitely right up there and may have gotten even better had he lived longer. That we will never know. By all accounts I've read he was also a very fine person, but I never knew him. I did read that his mother was a little unhappy with his portrayal in 8 seconds bc some of the incidents such as his having an affair were supposedly not true.

Latest posts