Long Day at the vet

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
heck of a deal. Hope he is still able to service the ladies. Hope the vet doesn't hit you too hard.

Not much more that you can do for that besides what you have done. It is a terrible spot for a puncture though,how do you get an animal to stay off their feet. ;-)

I guess the old fella will get a rest for a while, is your breeding season just about over with or do you breed all year round?

Good luck with him but they usually will heal quite well if you don't push them too hard too fast.

My main guy developed an abscess between the "toes" on one of his front hooves. I treated him twice with a long acting pen and moved him back out to pasture, his breeding season was over a month ago so he can lay down and relax now without having to go to work. :)

But what a h@ll of a year it has been for foot rot. :mad:

Your like me since I am also pretty much done with anymore unbred cows. I pull my bulls this time of year and put them on a smaller 40 ac. pasture we have leased. Good luck on your bull.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2h0ls0i7 said:
He already has a good appetite back. He ate 15 pounds of grain this morning, two flakes of mixed grass hay, drank half a 50 gallon water tank full of water, and ate some grass. He is putting weight on the hoof now. He is still limping. I suspect he probably will for a little while.

How much grain does he get out on pasture?

Glad it worked out. Our vet did the same thing with our older bull. Same issue, but it was not a rock. We ended up keeping him over the winter figureing he was in good shape and had recovered nicely. We has the breeding soundness done the next year, the vet examined him and passed him. A week prior to him going out with the cows we got a good dump of rain. We went to put the bulls out and within 12 hours he was limping again. Back to the vets and he was finished.
The first time around it was 75.00 from the vet. She cleaned the foot, tipped the bull, trimmed the hooves and did all your vet did. If we had to do it again, we would treat the bull get the vet to clean him up, but we would not keep him to breed the next year.

Latest posts