loner cow

Help Support CattleToday:

altmanc

Reaction score
I have a cow that is a loner she never mingles with the rest of the heard she is very healthy i am fairly new in the business is this normal for some cows?[/list]

Welcome to the Boards. Some cows are just like that. Especially if she's a newer addition.

Caustic Burno":3h9v4xqh said:
Texan":3h9v4xqh said:
Welcome to the Boards. Some cows are just like that. Especially if she's a newer addition.

I got a couple of older ones like that don't get in on all the pushing and shoving around the hay .

Caustic most days I am the same as those old cows! The older I get the more I realize most of the pushing and shoving is just a waste of time and energy :p

mwj":1tst9gmf said:
The older I get the more I realize most of the pushing and shoving is just a waste of time and energy :p

That's part of the reasons people think I'm a hermit.

dun

i had a cow yesterday go to her secret calving spot that i know about and just hang out. she calves there EVERY year. she is close but i wasnt expecting her yesterday. she came back to the rest of the herd at feeding time (its about a 2 mile walk) so i figured she'd probably have a calf this morning. got up early to see. she was just hanging out with the other cows being normal. no calf yet. i think some cows just try to aggravate me.

What's her position in the pecking order..found that the bottom of the order will spend more time away from the herd. Don't get picked on as much I guess. Size could have alot to do with it too. We have a herf heifer that is at the bottom with the cows and stays by herself...ocassionally hangs out with some heifer calves. DMc

It's been interesting watching my group establish a pecking order. I have one that looks a little less mature than the others and she is really treated rough. She spends alot of time off to the side with her head a little drooped but she's starting to become a little more assertive at feeding time.

Hasbeen":2gr9w5ge said:
It's been interesting watching my group establish a pecking order. I have one that looks a little less mature than the others and she is really treated rough. She spends alot of time off to the side with her head a little drooped but she's starting to become a little more assertive at feeding time.

Watch that one a little closer. A drooped head is one of the first signs of sickness. Especially one that has came through the salebarn.

I have a short-solid that mingles with the herd only when the cubes are served or a bale is dropped and she dosn't take any crap from any others. She's a serious eating, breeding, mothering fool and I wish I had dozens like her. When the others are laying around napping she's busy maintaining a solid 7 condition no matter if the grass is sparce and her calf is huge.

Jay

Latest posts