Locating a Custom Grazier

Help Support CattleToday:

Julian

Reaction score
We have been trying to locate a reliable custom grazier so we can expand our seedstock business. If anyone would like to share any tips on finding a good one we are all ears. Have even run ads in one of the larger local papers, but no reply. Have had fliers at local salebarns, etc. with the same result. If you have any suggestions or know of someone in central Kansas feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thank you, in advance, for your replies.

A custom grazier is a person that will graze other people's cattle (or horses, sheep, etc.) for $X/head/day or month. They don't own the cattle but get paid for grazing the cattle for someone else.

Have you contacted your local NRCS office or the local extension office?

Thought I'd bring this back up again.
We are looking for a custom grazier, or someone that offers "pasture and care" preferably in Kansas.
If you know of someone, please email me at [email protected].

Thank you, in advance, for your reply.

OK you young, high-energy upstarts, go read "No Risk Ranching - Custom Grazing on Leased Land" by Greg Judy and get with it.

dun":uancmqb1 said:
Have you contacted your local NRCS office or the local extension office?

thanks alot dunn !!!

i too am looking for more grass so i took your advice and went to the local fsa/brcs office.
turns out there is the most attractive women i have ever met in my life working there.
the first time i forgot why i was there in the first place, so went back the next day and the next day, well you see the pattern
i started making up reasons to go see her.
i went by there so many times she hides when she sees me drive up cause she things i've a perv :D

HDRider":1cumt57u said:
OK you young, high-energy upstarts, go read "No Risk Ranching - Custom Grazing on Leased Land" by Greg Judy and get with it.

Funny you would bring this up. I have discussed this with Greg in person as late as two years ago and he didn't have any suggestions for a custom grazier in Kansas (where I am located.) My conversations started with Greg before his first book went to print and that was in 2002. I've even ran a classified ad several years ago in the SGF and the only responses I received were others wanting to know of any grass that would be more than I could utilize.

HD,
I can't tell if you are being genuine or are a wise-apple with much time on your hands.
My request was genuine and was hoping for at least one genuine response, which I did get an email from an acquaintance in Tennessee who is familiar with my program. Hoping to find a closer opportunity.

Julian":23q95cy1 said:
HDRider":23q95cy1 said:

Funny you would bring this up. I have discussed this with Greg in person as late as two years ago and he didn't have any suggestions for a custom grazier in Kansas (where I am located.) My conversations started with Greg before his first book went to print and that was in 2002. I've even ran a classified ad several years ago in the SGF and the only responses I received were others wanting to know of any grass that would be more than I could utilize.

HD,
I can't tell if you are being genuine or are a wise-apple with much time on your hands.
My request was genuine and was hoping for at least one genuine response, which I did get an email from an acquaintance in Tennessee who is familiar with my program. Hoping to find a closer opportunity.

I was most sincere. This sounds like an opportunity and I am sure there are many more out there. I hoped seeing your request and reading Greg's book would motivate some young folks to take advantage of custom grazing as a way to get started.

Thank you HD.
There are a lot of people that would utilize a custom grazier. They are in short supply.
This may be one of the most promising (and low start up costs) way for young people to get into agriculture. I too hope there are those that read Greg's two books as there is a great demand for those that offer pasture and care.

I would like to know what you think good grass and pasture would be worth to you. Do you want to pay for gain are maintenance. Put a dollar figure on this and let us know. I am not in Kansas but in East Texas and have some of the best fall and winter pastures coming on. Are you looking for someone to totally manage the herd or just furnish the pasture. You leave a lot of particulars out in your request.

hurleyjd":12hb4jcz said:
I would like to know what you think good grass and pasture would be worth to you. Do you want to pay for gain are maintenance. Put a dollar figure on this and let us know. I am not in Kansas but in East Texas and have some of the best fall and winter pastures coming on. Are you looking for someone to totally manage the herd or just furnish the pasture. You leave a lot of particulars out in your request.

The people I know that use "pasture and care" usually pay by the head per day for cow/calf pair.
For stickers it is usually paid for on a pounds gained basis.

Am I leaving a lot of particulars out on this message board? Sure, because I'm just trying to find those that are interested first. I will discus privately with those then on. Just good business etiquette.

i do this for a local guy. hes brings em at weaning and i keep them for 6 mos. feed daily. free choice pasture. he supplys the hay and a fee...usually oct thru apr. usually 8-10 calfs

There are some listed in this weeks "Weekly livestock Reporter" people with good pasture willing to lease and take care of your cattle.

Latest posts