Local Show Committes?

Help Support CattleToday:

Southerngal

Reaction score
I was just wondering how other show committees are put together and how they work? I think we have the worst commitee ever formed. I do not think all member of our commitee are bad just a few and as the old saying goes "one bad apple can spoil the bushel". I would loke to revap ours and was hoping for some ideas.

Ours is a County Junior Livestock Show committee. Each school system appoints one representative (we have eight schools) that is approved by the School Board. The County Cattleman's Assoc., Swine Breeders, Sheep Breeders, Goat Assoc. and Equine Club each appoint one representative, and there is one from the Area Chamber of Commerce. They are responsible for the Rules, Protests, Judges, Prizes, photographer, Set-Up and Tear-Down. They enlist other county residents as superintendents, bookkeepers, emcees and gophers. The County Committee has a subcommittee of area Business Professionals that handle promotion and the Premium Sale. No paid assistance is used.

The only drawback to our committee is they have no term limits. Some members have been on the committee for thirty years, so changes in policy are next to impossible. If we had a limit of three years, and one term off before you could return, it would be close to perfect.

lots of show committees the world over have their problems. Our local show has had the problem of too many old people in positions and not being willing to stand aside and let people with new ideas step up. Our show society has recently appointed a new secretary,which will mean an increase in entries for our show next year. She has new ideas and wants the young folk in our litle town to get involved.
We have been active in the support of our local show and will become more active now that the secretary has changed.
We exhibit, Stud Beef Cattle (Brahman & South Devon),prime cattle usually about 15 or so head, flowers (roses,dahlias,gladiolis,calendulas,fuschias as well as pot plants)and produce (eggs,pumpkins, grammas,cucumbers and anything else we find in the garden at the time). We also sponsor several events at the Rodeo held at the end of the show as well we donate trophies for the cattle section and for the produce section. Its pretty easy to get involved,just keep gnawing away at them and round up like minded people to help change things. People power wins out in the end.
Colin

Latest posts