Loading hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Today was the day I had scheduled to bring 2 hogs and that Jersey steer to the butcher. the steer pen and hog pen both load thru the same chute. The steer loaded just fine, but the hogs, that's another story. Both hogs were about 300 lbs. Once out of their pen and in the chute they kept turning around and hanging up. I was behind them, using my legs as a blocker to keep them going the right way. But, the big sow kept turning around. I took a couple of rides on her back going the wrong way when she was able to get her head between my legs and power thru. Finally, after some serious thought about just getting the rifle out, an hour of wrestling them,throwing out my back(again), and hitting my head on the headache rack of the chute ( gotta raise that dang thing up) i we got them on the trailer. There has got to be a trick to loading those stubborn ******. If anyone has any tricks besides hold back feed for a day..please let me know, ill be here all day sitting on my azz and resting my back. Thanks

It;s pretty simple. Line them up backwards and hold a bucket over their head/face. They'll run backwards to et away from the bucket. They'll run FAST too so be prepared.

Is that kinda like putting a cats head in a boot to neuter it????;). Thanks dun

hooknline":zd18lhxj said:
I tink the boot is to incapacitate the cat, the bucket is to make them try to get away form it.

dun":133wnv9v said:
hooknline":133wnv9v said:
I tink the boot is to incapacitate the cat, the bucket is to make them try to get away form it.
Been a long time since I hauled a load of hogs. Best I remember it took a half day to get them on the trailer and dang near as long to get the idiots off.

You got me. I had a 600 pound boar, which I thought was going in the trailer, stick his snout under the trailer, that was 8 inches off the ground, and pick up the whole trailer and went under it.

Upfrombottom..I've had them do that. So I load the steers first for weight, and put a 2x12 in that space they could slip. Ill try the bucket, and also build a hog "shield" type handheld fence to push them with. These were 2 of the most stubborn ones I've loaded.

I haven't raised hogs in a while, but my daughter and son in law still do. Son In Law bought a hog dog (Catahoula) to help him with the hogs. Three days later, my daughter called laughing. They had a hog get out of the pen during the night and the dog had him bayed, only thing was the hog was asleep in the dog's house.

A friend of mine grew up on a big hog farm and they used to use 1 1/2" black plastic water pipe for a stick. Something about the echo, or the whistling sound it makes when you smack em with it gets em moving. They also used to get behind em, reach around and slap em under the belly. They hated that.

I hauled 28 feral hogs to Lingleville, TX a couple of years ago. It took better than an hour to load them with them fighting me all the way. I was pretty upset at all the hoopla. After reading this thread, I am thinking I didn't do so bad afterall. Not one cut me with their cutter teeth although they did run into the fences and trailer panels over and over. Of course, the biggest ones were just a bit over 200 lbs.

tripleBfarms":2y2vsld4 said:
A friend of mine grew up on a big hog farm and they used to use 1 1/2" black plastic water pipe for a stick. Something about the echo, or the whistling sound it makes when you smack em with it gets em moving. They also used to get behind em, reach around and slap em under the belly. They hated that.

I wouldn't try that on a PWR without haveing a 44 thumb cocked.

You don't move hogs where you want them to go, you block them to where you don't want them to go. Two people with plywood works best.

West Dakota":3f7emn8r said:
You don't move hogs where you want them to go, you block them to where you don't want them to go. Two people with plywood works best.

We have several strains of wild hog and the PWR is to be respected above all others
You haven't had any experience with PWR's toting plywood will get you ate up. You had better have a good black mouth cur and a pistol.
http://pineywoodrooter.com/

Years ago we were trying to load 3 hogs into a trailer to move to another farm. The first 2 went in with little fuss the third one refused to move. A friend of mine that was big monster of a guy grabbed it by the ears and started dragging it into the trailer. HOg was sitting down the whole way. Finally got to the traler and the hog stood up which made Mike lose his balance, then the hog jerked back and sat down. Mike went saling face first into the pig pen. I finally stuck a bucket over it's head and it backed into the trailer. On the way to the new farm I wouldn;t let Mike ride in the front of the truck cause he stunk so bad and that was after hosing him off. We stopped at a convenience store (hot humid day) I was standing in line and pretty soon the lady behind me was climbing all over me. Seems that Mike had gotten in line close behind her. We had a good laugh but I still wouldn;t let him ride in the front of the truck

I'm not a big guy, but plenty strong. We did drag the barr by his ears down the chute, and that was a heckuva racket. But it did work. It was the dang sow that gave us real fits. Even took the lasso around her head and pulled while the wife pushed. Bout choked her out, but even that didn't work. Ended up pulling her by her ears, wife pushing, to get her on. That's what threw my back out. But its all good, those chops tasted great on the grill tonight!

Caustic Burno":1cfe214y said:
West Dakota":1cfe214y said:

We have several strains of wild hog and the PWR is to be respected above all others
You haven't had any experience with PWR's toting plywood will get you ate up. You had better have a good black mouth cur and a pistol.
http://pineywoodrooter.com/

I am thinking that the person loading ought to just start working out. Running and jogging every day. When the day comes around to load, open the side gate on the trailer and then open the back gate. Open the pen gate and run into the trailer as fast as you possibly can. Out the side gate and slam it behind. Grab the rope on the rear gate and pull it closed. :D

Caustic Burno":1026r7b4 said:
Sounds like one of those watch this idea's :lol2: everything would be OK until you trip, slipped in Hog sh or forgot to open the side gate. ;-)
Yeeah, it would start with "Here, hold my beer"

Latest posts