Loading calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
How thenheckmdonyou keep calves from spilling back out of a trailer after loading them when you have more to load? The 16' stock trailer has a cut door but if only a couple go and I need more, they spill back out while I try to run more up the alley (portable panels). I've thought of welding a set up for a push/pull rod on the cut door just to hold them in until the next ones run up.
What do you guys do?

I use a lane instead of an alleyway. The lane is just a little wider than the trailer so you can back in the lane and tie the panels to the trailer. I then have a gate that is one panel back from the trailer. I then put the calves in there until I have a cut full then load and do it again.

TennesseeTuxedo":26yn78ua said:
Only run as many at a time as will fit in the front section of the trailer.
lets say I want to run 5 in the front, but only 3 run in. While I get the other 2 run up the 3 are starting to spill back out. Sometimes I have to start all over

Hook":3vqayr4d said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3vqayr4d said:
Only run as many at a time as will fit in the front section of the trailer.
lets say I want to run 5 in the front, but only 3 run in. While I get the other 2 run up the 3 are starting to spill back out. Sometimes I have to start all over

Maybe I misunderstood what you said about the cut gate. Is it working?

Assuming you don't a have an alley
Assuming you have 10 calves to ship and 15 in the lot and you can't cut out the 5 your not shipping
You can't get the right 5 together( based on your earlier statement) but you get 3 and go back for more and the original 3 come out of the trailer
Assuming your backed to a gate in a corner I'd get a couple portable panels and wire them too the back of the trailer that way it would make an alley with the panels on one side and the lot fence on the other.
Run 3 in the alley and most likely that'll stay and get 2 more
If the 3 won't stay in the alley swing one panel over to hold them till you get the others them swing it open and run the 2 in with the 3

That's real close to what I'm doing now except not putting another panel/blocker across the alley to keep them. I suppose I can get one of those gated panels just for that purpose too. I use 18" length of chains and clips to attach the panels to the trailer. Quicker, easier and more secure than a rope or strap. I'll see if I can get some (more) help also.
Thanks guys

I run mine down the alley and through the chute, when all go through the chute I shut the chute. Outside the chute I have panels set up tied to the trailer, with the door open. But the "holding" area outside the chute is very small,10x10 maybe, when I get the bunch in the holding area I want to load, cows, calves, etc., then I crawl in and push them into the trailer, quick release knot on door and ready to climb a panel if I have to.

If you were a true member of hra you would not have but 3 calves to sell.

Shut the cut gate on the three. Run the other 2 in the back shut the back gate. Get in the trailer open the cut gate run the 3 in the back with the other 2 when all 5 are together run them back up front and shut the gate. There just ccalves not tigers and they can't eat you. Get in the trailer and sort them.

M5farm":2uxwx9lx said:
If you were a true member of hra you would not have but 3 calves to sell.

Shut the cut gate on the three. Run the other 2 in the back shut the back gate. Get in the trailer open the cut gate run the 3 in the back with the other 2 when all 5 are together run them back up front and shut the gate. There just ccalves not tigers and they can't eat you. Get in the trailer and sort them.

On my small trailer you can't swing the middle gate back if there are calves in the back

I've had them wedge themselves trying to shut the cut gate with the trailer loaded. Something about the design of the gate. They may just be calves but I had a 500 lb calf take my knee out last week. I ain't getting any younger and need to keep my parts working right. Jumping out of airplanes doesn't count though.

Hook":3r5gs87l said:
I've had them wedge themselves trying to shut the cut gate with the trailer loaded. Something about the design of the gate. They may just be calves but I had a 500 lb calf take my knee out last week. I ain't getting any younger and need to keep my parts working right. Jumping out of airplanes doesn't count though.
Hook put a slider in the middle gate.

Latest posts