Livestock Yards vs. Superior Livestock Video/Internet

Help Support CattleToday:

Bucky

Reaction score
What are your experiences with each and in your opinion which is better and why? I am interested in buying and selling experiences.
Thank you. :compute:

With Superior or other satelitte/video auctions you need to have enough calves of similar weight, sex and age to make at least a half a truckload. You could sell a half a truckload of steers and half a truckload of heifers to make a truckload. A truckload is 48,000 to 50,000 lbs (80 hd of 600 lb calves would make a truckload).

The local sale gives you a place to market less than truckload lots and cattle with too much weight and age variance to suit most buyers.

I have a neighbor who buys off Superior. He works in an office in town so this allows him to shop easily!

I usually put together small groups from the local sales barns. Even if the color and size are are uniform when you buy them - - the genetics will show was you grow them out. I had a Superior rep come out last fall but he was not really interested in my steers because they were "not very uniform." The sales barn split them 4 ways when they sold. Sorting is what they do. Often the same buyer will buy two or more groups so they may have been sorted more than neccessary.

The heifer and cow/calf pair lots are too large for me. I know it would take them longer but, if the split some of those in half they would get more money for them.

Latest posts