Livestock loss due to GMO corn

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo":1uswjp79 said:
Mission groups are going all over the world putting in fresh water wells so people can have fresh safe drinking water. Why not show the people of the world how to grow their own food and be sustainable......... but there's no money in that!

Banjo I've been all over the world on those "mission trips" you speak of and yes I've seen the little family farms. Not totally unlike what we had in our country 250 years ago and what many still do more for enjoyment than anything. I'm sure you're also aware that people starve to death everyday in those countries because those little plots don't produce enough and they know not to ask their government for anything. If we're going to furnish them seed let's make sure it's the seed that will produce the most, resist the most disease and pests and survive with the least attention and perhaps actually be sustainable. In most cases that will be GMO seeds and the blessings of the good Lord.

TexasBred":s974tapa said:
Banjo":s974tapa said:
Mission groups are going all over the world putting in fresh water wells so people can have fresh safe drinking water. Why not show the people of the world how to grow their own food and be sustainable......... but there's no money in that!

Banjo I've been all over the world on those "mission trips" you speak of and yes I've seen the little family farms. Not totally unlike what we had in our country 250 years ago and what many still do more for enjoyment than anything. I'm sure you're also aware that people starve to death everyday in those countries because those little plots don't produce enough and they know not to ask their government for anything. If we're going to furnish them seed let's make sure it's the seed that will produce the most, resist the most disease and pests and survive with the least attention and perhaps actually be sustainable. In most cases that will be GMO seeds and the blessings of the good Lord.
We all need the blessings of the Lord thats for sure, but I have to disagree on GMO seeds part. With any seed you must have some kind of rotation, preferably back into grass in 2 or 3 years for a year of two, or like a lot of farmers in the US are planting ryegrass after their corn and beans and getting better yields. If I wanted to get serious about it I could grow enough corn and wheat in my garden to feed my family. I could take an acre and feed everyone on this road I live on which is about 20 families There is a guy on you tube that grows all the wheat for the bread he makes all year....in a little garden spot. People have survived this way for thousands of years, but only in the last 30 or 40 years have we become dependent on someone else growing everything for us.

It's fun to read your post Banjo. Seedless watermelon is GMO, but not the same way other crops are. Seedless watermelon is missing a chromosome and this has to be done by gene altering as these watermelons would never reproduce. I would say your poor watermelon was due more to growing conditions than the fact that these watermelons have been altered. To only grow grass for a very short time as you suggest would be extremely costly as it is very costly to establish grass. It is also interesting to read how "most" farmers are planting ryegrass between crops. While cover crops are starting to catch on, I sure wouldn't say "most" farmers are utilizing them. That is one point we can agree on though, is the need for rotation and the positive yield responses from cover crops.

Banjo":1lauqpum said:
My thoughts exactly......the reason these seed companies don't want labeling is because they know at least 80% of the public want GMO labeling. And if labeling was ever required most people would refuse it. And the GMO market would dry up over night. I think you are going to see more and more voluntary labeling as it becomes more of the trend.
I saw a statistic that said developing countries like India,Brazil,Argentina are rejecting GMO seed. Their subsistance farmers can't afford to buy the GMO seed every year. But they can save their own seed from OP varieties and survive. Most of the world could feed themselves...barring a major famine.....by being sustainable.....there is not the first thing sustainable about GMO crops.
What's that old saying "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or give him a fishing pole and feed him for life".

I'll bet you whatever you want to lose that 80% of the people have never heard of the acronym "GMO".

TexasBred":3dplvrng said:
Banjo":3dplvrng said:
My thoughts exactly......the reason these seed companies don't want labeling is because they know at least 80% of the public want GMO labeling. And if labeling was ever required most people would refuse it. And the GMO market would dry up over night. I think you are going to see more and more voluntary labeling as it becomes more of the trend.
I saw a statistic that said developing countries like India,Brazil,Argentina are rejecting GMO seed. Their subsistance farmers can't afford to buy the GMO seed every year. But they can save their own seed from OP varieties and survive. Most of the world could feed themselves...barring a major famine.....by being sustainable.....there is not the first thing sustainable about GMO crops.
What's that old saying "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or give him a fishing pole and feed him for life".

I'll bet you whatever you want to lose that 80% of the people have never heard of the acronym "GMO".

:nod:

nkotb":19exsp96 said:
It's fun to read your post Banjo. Seedless watermelon is GMO, but not the same way other crops are. Seedless watermelon is missing a chromosome and this has to be done by gene altering as these watermelons would never reproduce. I would say your poor watermelon was due more to growing conditions than the fact that these watermelons have been altered. To only grow grass for a very short time as you suggest would be extremely costly as it is very costly to establish grass. It is also interesting to read how "most" farmers are planting ryegrass between crops. While cover crops are starting to catch on, I sure wouldn't say "most" farmers are utilizing them. That is one point we can agree on though, is the need for rotation and the positive yield responses from cover crops.
I'm glad I can be entertaining if nothing else...........I did some research on the watermelons and they are as you say, they have not been truly genetically modified in the sense of gene splicing. but I have to say, not to be difficult, I have never liked seedless watermelons I have never ever had one that would stack up with a locally grown seeded watermelon, but the seedless is all you can get in the supermarkets untill the local crops come in.
Go back and re-read my post I said a lot of farmers are planting ryegrass after their crops.....not most farmers. Maybe the better word should be SOME farmers if we want to be technical.
I don't know if watermelon growers ever rotate their fields or not. Here tobacco growers plant the same field year after year after year. I guess with more fertilize and more chemicals one is able to mask the need for rotation. Even the RRcorn and soybean growers alternate years. Trying to grow corn for example in the same field year after year after year will lead to sharply falling yields whether it be GMO, conventional, OP corn.

TexasBred":3pofzsxd said:
Banjo":3pofzsxd said:

I'm not a bettin man......in certain areas of the country you may be right. However, I would venture to say that if you went out on the streets of any major city and interviewed a 100 people and explained to them exactly what GMO was and what they thought about it after knowing what it was all about and not giving any biased opinion, I think you might be surprised. Go do that and let me know the numbers.

Banjo said:
I'm not a bettin man......in certain areas of the country you may be right. However, I would venture to say that if you went out on the streets of any major city and interviewed a 100 people and explained to them exactly what GMO was and what they thought about it after knowing what it was all about and not giving any biased opinion, I think you might be surprised. Go do that and let me know the numbers.

In other words you want me to teach them a PhD level plant breeding and genetics class and then ask them a question? I don't think so. We're talking about ladies and men in the grocery store.

TexasBred":ey6htklm said:
Banjo":ey6htklm said:

General Medical Officer? Glyceryl Monooleate? What are we talking about?!!?!?!?! :help:

Banjo":j3i4k2xb said:
Trying to grow corn for example in the same field year after year after year will lead to sharply falling yields whether it be GMO, conventional, OP corn.

I think that is true with soybeans, but I have not found that to be the case with corn. Just depends on your tillage practices.

TexasBred":2d2sz4fa said:
Banjo said:

In other words you want me to teach them a PhD level plant breeding and genetics class and then ask them a question? I don't think so. We're talking about ladies and men in the grocery store.
[/quote]

Come on now !!!! Your smart enough to do that aren't ya???

Banjo":1ebfqszf said:
TexasBred":1ebfqszf said:
Banjo said:

Come on now !!!! Your smart enough to do that aren't ya???[/quote][/quote][/quote]

In a word?? NO....but you seem to be "read up" on it. Tell me exactly what the deadly part of it is. Keep it simple.

I am part of the 80% that do not know, even more disturbing to me is the fact that the 20% that think they know, are in conflict with each other over what gmo actually means. Please explain. TIA

i think you all are missing the point; - the consumer has a right to know what they are feeding to their families. if it was only 1% that wanted GMO labeling, that would be significant. the refusal to do so makes the matter all that more urgent. a free people shouldn't have to eat under a cloak of secrecy. that was tried in one country during the last century and eventually failed. GMO labeling would add an impression of transparency and could allieviate many of the apperehensions people have regading this topic. continued refusal to be truthful only fuels those apprehensions. i am a small operation (hobbyist if you will) and given the choice i would not use GMO feed and would use this fact when promoting my product (the same as i use hormone free). just as i would not care to consume it given the choice, i know many people willing to buy beef not raised on GMO products and GMO is something that should not be forced upon them. at some point, labeling will become a reality and the people that resist it now, will be embarrased to admit it in the future......

tsmaxx47":3w2ex3r6 said:
i think you all are missing the point; - the consumer has a right to know what they are feeding to their families. if it was only 1% that wanted GMO labeling, that would be significant. the refusal to do so makes the matter all that more urgent. a free people shouldn't have to eat under a cloak of secrecy. that was tried in one country during the last century and eventually failed. GMO labeling would add an impression of transparency and could allieviate many of the apperehensions people have regading this topic. continued refusal to be truthful only fuels those apprehensions. i am a small operation (hobbyist if you will) and given the choice i would not use GMO feed and would use this fact when promoting my product (the same as i use hormone free). just as i would not care to consume it given the choice, i know many people willing to buy beef not raised on GMO products and GMO is something that should not be forced upon them. at some point, labeling will become a reality and the people that resist it now, will be embarrased to admit it in the future......

I think you may be right.

whatisgmo":23oqrgqa said:
I am part of the 80% that do not know, even more disturbing to me is the fact that the 20% that think they know, are in conflict with each other over what gmo actually means. Please explain. TIA
You are right... if you walk up to most people and asked if they know what GMO is they would just look at you like what that?
I asked a friend of mine just yesterday while having lunch if she knew what GMO meant and she said no. Then I said genetically modified foods then she understood and said yes I have. Then we started talking about the whole labeling thing. She said of course I would want it labeled...I wouldn't buy it if i knew it had all that done to it.

Your question above about what it means....just google it there is plenty of info on it.

tsmaxx47":56uwm2fn said:

Now tsmaxx...in another post on another subject your opinion was "the consumer does not need to know....break it off in him if you can".

Banjo":3g86gro8 said:
whatisgmo":3g86gro8 said:
You are right... if you walk up to most people and asked if they know what GMO is they would just look at you like what that?
I asked a friend of mine just yesterday while having lunch if she knew what GMO meant and she said no. Then I said genetically modified foods then she understood and said yes I have. Then we started talking about the whole labeling thing. She said of course I would want it labeled...I wouldn't buy it if i knew it had all that done to it.

Your question above about what it means....just google it there is plenty of info on it.

Did you then explain to her exactly how it was genetically modifed and why?? A search will give you a lot of "hypothesis"...nothing more.

The way that the media blew LFTB all out of proportion should be enough of a warning that anything can be used against the industry

Latest posts