Livestock loss due to GMO corn

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2h9adkov said:
Banjo":2h9adkov said:
whatisgmo":2h9adkov said:
I am part of the 80% that do not know, even more disturbing to me is the fact that the 20% that think they know, are in conflict with each other over what gmo actually means. Please explain. TIA
You are right... if you walk up to most people and asked if they know what GMO is they would just look at you like what that?
I asked a friend of mine just yesterday while having lunch if she knew what GMO meant and she said no. Then I said genetically modified foods then she understood and said yes I have. Then we started talking about the whole labeling thing. She said of course I would want it labeled...I wouldn't buy it if i knew it had all that done to it.

Your question above about what it means....just google it there is plenty of info on it.

Did you then explain to her exactly how it was genetically modifed and why?? A search will give you a lot of "hypothesis"...nothing more.
I sure did.
One more thing .....this I heard from a biochemist quite some time ago, is that when you slice open a gene and insert an enzyme or another gene to produce a certain outcome.....you have to remove something first, you don't just go in and add this or that, so when you take something out of the plant which may be seemingly insignificant you no longer have a whole food....it is a deficient food source. Just like refined white flour,white sugar, white rice, they are no longer whole foods. Do you die on the first bite? No, but over time its detrimental to anyones health.
So what about cattle......If GMO corn and soybeans is as healthy as anything ever grown shouldn't cattle on feed be as healthy as ever or more so? They may be where your at, but not around here. Back in October some of the guys at the local stockyards recommended I wait until November or Dec. to sell some more feeder cattle because the market was getting weaker due to too many cattle dying in these feedlots, blaming it on the up and down weather temps. These are cattle that have "had all their shots" I think the cattles immune system is weakened.

Banjo":3kimlu4w said:
One more thing .....this I heard from a biochemist quite some time ago, is that when you slice open a gene and insert an enzyme or another gene to produce a certain outcome.....you have to remove something first, you don't just go in and add this or that, so when you take something out of the plant which may be seemingly insignificant you no longer have a whole food....it is a deficient food source. Just like refined white flour,white sugar, white rice, they are no longer whole foods. Do you die on the first bite? No, but over time its detrimental to anyones health.
So what about cattle......If GMO corn and soybeans is as healthy as anything ever grown shouldn't cattle on feed be as healthy as ever or more so? They may be where your at, but not around here. Back in October some of the guys at the local stockyards recommended I wait until November or Dec. to sell some more feeder cattle because the market was getting weaker due to too many cattle dying in these feedlots, blaming it on the up and down weather temps. These are cattle that have "had all their shots" I think the cattles immune system is weakened.
ROFLMAO......open a gene?? Put "something" in it?? Remove "something" but don't add "this and that"....you sound like a first grader trying to explain how a baby is made.....let's just stop right here. You know just enough to be dangerous and that's they problem with this whole GMO thing. Self described experts trying to educate others about something that they themselves do not even understand, let alone be qualified to state an opinion.

TexasBred":3etimxdk said:
Banjo":3etimxdk said:
ROFLMAO......open a gene?? Put "something" in it?? Remove "something" but don't add "this and that"....you sound like a first grader trying to explain how a baby is made.....let's just stop right here. You know just enough to be dangerous and that's they problem with this whole GMO thing. Self described experts trying to educate others about something that they themselves do not even understand, let alone be qualified to state an opinion.

Whatever.........

Now tsmaxx...in another post on another subject your opinion was "the consumer does not need to know....break it off in him if you can".[/quote]

i beg your pardon?

tsmaxx47":3d77qsb6 said:
Now tsmaxx...in another post on another subject your opinion was "the consumer does not need to know....break it off in him if you can".

i beg your pardon?[/quote]

i'm with you Bez, if someone is willing to pay that much - take the money. the type of people willing to pay that much usually have more money than brains. that's not anyone's fault but theirs. if they can't give it to you, they'll give it to someone else. don't be ashamed to take it.....it's not like they're doing you a favor.

dun":2739k9s6 said:
The way that the media blew LFTB all out of proportion should be enough of a warning that anything can be used against the industry
As well as last summer's big bruhah over Tifton 85 and prussic acid.

I spoke with the Master Gardener down at the greenhouse today. I asked him about gmo. He told me the worst part of gmo is the unknown. I asked what do you mean? He said most people do not understand gmo. Thus it is unknown. That's me I said. He said using the simplest definitions of the words, it simply means any organism that has been modified genetically.
I asked him is that bad, he said you tell me, have you had any problems with the gmo you have consumed. I replied I have no idea what gmo I have consumed. He said well I know you like Celebrity tomato's. Without genetic modification from human beings that tomato would never occur in nature.

He went on to state most people will argue that a Celebrity tomato is NOT a gmo. But without direct human manipulation and modification of the genetic manaturallykeup of that plant by humans, a Celebrity tomato will never occur naturally

Most of what I write is a direct quote because I'm not real gmo savy. But for the most part he explained virtually all hybrids will never occur naturally. They only occur after human manipulation or modification of the genes. So after having someone explain to me that I have been resting gmo for many years without problems of any kind I believer out to be something I will continue to do on a faulty basis. Now he said geo is a completely different animal, but I wasn't interested in that

whatisGMO.
Master Gardeners are not suppose to offer opinions that differ from the official agencies stand. since all Master Gardeners are to my knowledge sponsored by state land grant colleges, you have to thank the individual for rendering any opinion at all - if that is really the case. colleges that take money from the manipulators of the gene pool are understandably reluctant to offer any assessment of GMO products that would impact their funding. the testing done on these products (GMO) is not the most thorough, and a rush to market mentality often times allows dangerous material to reach the public. just count the number of bad human drugs that are produced by the same system. a system where researchers are oftentimes paid for their favorable findings. this type of screening is not going to disappear real soon, but producing small cracks in their armor by "truth in labeling" requests from the public will show the producers and their dogs that there are people who care about the subject.

what is GMO.
Master Gardeners are not suppose to offer opinions that differ from the official agencies stand. since all Master Gardeners are to my knowledge sponsored by state land grant colleges, you have to thank the individual for rendering any opinion at all - if that is really the case. colleges that take money from the manipulators of the gene pool are understandably reluctant to offer any assessment of GMO products that would impact their funding. the testing done on these products (GMO) is not the most thorough, and a rush to market mentality often times allows dangerous material to reach the public. just count the number of bad human drugs that are produced by the same system. a system where researchers are oftentimes paid for their favorable findings. this type of screening is not going to disappear real soon, but producing small cracks in their armor by "truth in labeling" requests from the public will show the producers and their dogs that there are people who care about the subject.

what is GMO.

whatisgmo":2duo1x7f said:
I spoke with the Master Gardener down at the greenhouse today. I asked him about gmo. He told me the worst part of gmo is the unknown. I asked what do you mean? He said most people do not understand gmo. Thus it is unknown. That's me I said. He said using the simplest definitions of the words, it simply means any organism that has been modified genetically.
I asked him is that bad, he said you tell me, have you had any problems with the gmo you have consumed. I replied I have no idea what gmo I have consumed. He said well I know you like Celebrity tomato's. Without genetic modification from human beings that tomato would never occur in nature.

He went on to state most people will argue that a Celebrity tomato is NOT a gmo. But without direct human manipulation and modification of the genetic manaturallykeup of that plant by humans, a Celebrity tomato will never occur naturally

Most of what I write is a direct quote because I'm not real gmo savy. But for the most part he explained virtually all hybrids will never occur naturally. They only occur after human manipulation or modification of the genes. So after having someone explain to me that I have been resting gmo for many years without problems of any kind I believer out to be something I will continue to do on a faulty basis. Now he said geo is a completely different animal, but I wasn't interested in that

:roll: Welcome back, IBR.

I see you still won't accept that the common usage of GMO = GEO, not hybridized.

He is a volunteer, he volunteers his time to a program sponsored by the extension service. He is under no obligation to provide anything but his advice and opinions on gardening and horticulture to interested people in his area.

Latest posts