Livestock dog?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I live in a relatively urban area - they just put in a heavily traveled nature path along the back of my pasture. People are walking with their dogs unleashed which then frequently end up in the pasture with the cattle. Short of a .22 because I'm not always around - would a stock dog help keep domestic dogs out of the pasture? Type of dog? Would such a dog simply run loose with the cattle all day? What keeps them at home?

A donkey seems like a more manageable idea. Does it just run with the cattle? Eat the same feed out of the feeders in the winter? Are they able to eat "cattle hay" unlike horses?

angus9259":1sjb3a1y said:
A donkey seems like a more manageable idea. Does it just run with the cattle? Eat the same feed out of the feeders in the winter? Are they able to eat "cattle hay" unlike horses?

I know a guy who keeps donkeys in with the cattle..they eat everything the cows do..not sure how "good" it is for them..but they are still alive and healthy.

Donkey(the right one) is the easiest. the wrong one is a disaster. Won't know which you have till you get it in.

Do not put out minerals with coccidiostats/urea- everything else commonly used should be fine.
If you are feeding ,some donkeys will run cattle off- others won't. If you get a pig ,with free choice feed around, it will likely founder.

Don't expect the donkey to run dogs out of the pasture- they don't protect areas, just their animals
Get only one Donkey or they will likely just protect each other.

guard dogs will protect an area- but you have to feed them(not a bad idea to hand feed them so you can get hold of them). You can put up a self feeder where the cattle cannot get to it (BSE and cost issues).

How about an ostrich, just be careful of the males as they can become very aggressive and protective of their territory.

alisonb":1m6rxev6 said:
How about an ostrich, just be careful of the males as they can become very aggressive and protective of their territory.

Do they sell those at "Pets Plus"?

I wouldn't have an ostridge-- neighbor had one . It almost killed him and the three people that tried to get it off of him. They eventually had to choke it to death.

Run a hot wire at dog height, dogs won't ever come near it again.

In the long run cost less than a donkey or lama (have no idea what an ostrich cost)

I wish hotwire were enough. It seems the dog's come through at enough of a clip they don't seem to get hung up in it. Sometimes, unfortunately, it can just slow them down on the way out.

I'm not sure what to make of the image now in my head of several people attempting to strangle an ostrich.

Do you have hot wire that is constant or pulsating if it is constant and they need to go under it where it is touching them, they will feel it. When we lived in town, we had a lab that climbed the fence all the time, put a horse hot wire around the top of the fence, she hit it once never climbed that fence again.

Side story neighbor was washing carpets from his motor home and drying them on the fence, wet carpet hit the wire he got a good shock. This neighbor being kind of a joker threw one more on the fence with a little more care, then asked his brother-in-law to get them off the fence for him. He grabbed both at the same time, barefoot in the wet grass, you all can figure out what happened next.

If you get a donkey be sure its a Jenny and not a Jack. Donkeys are bad news to small creatures they can outrun. Wouldn't trust them around small children either.

edit - I replaced my donkey with two brangus. Don't need a donkey with these two vile devious creatures guarding the pasture. :nod:

A good livestock guardian dog would be fabulous, but it takes time to "establish" the dog.

I have a neighbor who has a few. We also have one. The ones that the neighbor owns have been known to take down a pitbull.

Katherine

For sure I would not have a jack donkey They will bit the ears off of your calves. They will run your cows through the fences. Get a good dog
Bluegoose1

I have two standard donkeys. Both work great, guelded and mature. I guess you call em Johns, instead of Jacks. I keep them together lately, but they still run with the cows constantly. Sometimes for entertainment my brother and I get on them and horse around. Johns aren't known for kicking people and are absolutely curious. I couldn't recommend anything better to deter a dog, I have seen them in action and it's not pretty, but they treat people with respect. I have less than a hundred bucks in both and wouldn't take less than 2 grand a piece. Yep, donkeys, til they get used to the dogs while the people give them treats, huh? Animals can be trained. Anyway, hold onto your urban country land, 'cause it don't come back once it's a city.

I would not use an uncut jack they are mean to calves !!! I have seen that statment cause some bebate on here in the past but a jack is not worth the risk.
I have used a jenny she was great on the farm but when I brought her home to a pasture her by my house it did not take very many days for her to get used to the dogs then she would not run one out of the pasture.
If I was going to buy me something to guard my stock it would be a lama , I know a man that has one and they watch for dogs to chase, when they are laying down there head is up looking.
many years ago when I coon hunted there was a place that one and it gave the coonhunters the fits.
As for cost I see them at a little ol country stock sale fairly often for around 100.00 and they wont make friends with the walkers like a donkey they even might spit some gross spit on them if they mess with them ???

Latest posts