Livestock dog?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":lb8rw4ek said:
If you get a donkey be sure its a Jenny and not a Jack. Donkeys are bad news to small creatures they can outrun. Wouldn't trust them around small children either.

edit - I replaced my donkey with two brangus. Don't need a donkey with these two vile devious creatures guarding the pasture. :nod:

ohh, very true..Ive always seen Jennies..never Jacks.

Jacks have been known to kill newborn foals of horses they were turned out with..I dont trust them at all..

Brangus is another option..any "intruder" be it man or animal who comes into my pasture get promptly ran out by my brangus cow..we joke if a cattle rustler tried to get our small herd, all we'd find left of him was a grease spot in the pasture and the cow standing over it with his hat in her mouth. :lol:

spinandslide":2ibpjbnf said:
we joke if a cattle rustler tried to get our small herd, all we'd find left of him was a grease spot in the pasture and the cow standing over it with his hat in her mouth.

:lol2: :lol2: My screen needs cleaning. I can just picture this in my mind. :lol2:

edit: BTW - I know there are some people who have gentle brangus its just that the two I have now are the tame one's left over from a lot I bought psycho's I bought. Dang fine mamma cows is their saving grace.

BRYANT":37vn989e said:
they wont make friends with the walkers like a donkey they even might spit some gross spit on them if they mess with them
That gives me an idea ~ you could get dun to gaurd your livestock. :nod:

Jogeephus":lr6r13aa said:
spinandslide":lr6r13aa said:
we joke if a cattle rustler tried to get our small herd, all we'd find left of him was a grease spot in the pasture and the cow standing over it with his hat in her mouth.

:lol2: :lol2: My screen needs cleaning. I can just picture this in my mind. :lol2:

edit: BTW - I know there are some people who have gentle brangus its just that the two I have now are the tame one's left over from a lot I bought psycho's I bought. Dang fine mamma cows is their saving grace.
Joe mine are very gentle...but let a coyote show up anywhere near by and the alert goes out....AND I keep great pyrenees dogs with them. Sometimes it seems the brangus alert the dog and the dog finishes off the coyote. Not a pretty site.

I'd love to get my hands on some gentle ones. They are wonderful mothers and they will do anything for their calves. One of mine dropped twins and she weaned off 950 lbs of calves and bred back. Definitely a money maker but I really need to get rid of her and her sister cause these two are truly dangerous.

GRTiger85":g5wlesqz said:
bet if you shot a few chasing your cows they would all be on leashes soon

That would be my preference, but around here, people think their meat comes from the grocery store and their dogs are more important than the food that feeds them. Thus, if I shot a dog it wouldn't take long for them to run me out of cattle raising altogether. In fact, even if a donkey killed one, I'd probably catch horrible grief that I kept such vicious animals even though it was their dog who got into my fence. You know the story. I'm not really worried about the calves getting attacked (maybe I should be) but mostly getting the cattle started running and out through a fence or gate. Then it would still be my fault. Sadly, I can see why folks are forced to move.

I would make a small sign that says please keep your dog out of pasture and on leash. Put the signs up at the start of the land and every 500 ft . I would also talk to the town chairman and see what he thinks could be done. Maybe if they put up woven wire this could keep the dogs out . If none of the above seem to get results you can talk to the sheriff about the leash law or go the the town board and discuss your situation . I understand your flustration but the walkers may not understand what they are doing and may need to be educated and not punished

angus9259":1af9veql said:
I live in a relatively urban area - they just put in a heavily traveled nature path along the back of my pasture. People are walking with their dogs unleashed which then frequently end up in the pasture with the cattle. Short of a .22 because I'm not always around - would a stock dog help keep domestic dogs out of the pasture? Type of dog? Would such a dog simply run loose with the cattle all day? What keeps them at home?

How about a taller fence, this situation sounds like it sucks and will cause problems eventually.

GMN

farm36":37okrwbp said:
I would make a small sign that says please keep your dog out of pasture and on leash. Put the signs up at the start of the land and every 500 ft . I would also talk to the town chairman and see what he thinks could be done. Maybe if they put up woven wire this could keep the dogs out . If none of the above seem to get results you can talk to the sheriff about the leash law or go the the town board and discuss your situation . I understand your flustration but the walkers may not understand what they are doing and may need to be educated and not punished
That would be my recommendation as well. Add no trespassing to the sign too.

Yeah, I've already put up no trespassing signs every 100 feet with my name address and phone number on them. The trails are already clearly marked that all animals must be on a 6 foot leash so . . . so much for respecting regulations. I've spoken with animal control and they can't do anything unless I get a photograph of the animal on my property with something identifiable in the background to prove the dog is actually on MY property along with the owners name and address. I'm going to discuss the woven wire idea with the road commission who manages the trail. RE: going to the township . . . the issue in all this is that I'M the problem. It's become an extremely developed area . . . there's a 9000 square foot $$1.5M house of the corner of my pasture . . . cattle are the problem not dogs and a nature trail bringing in upscale development and making the township more attractive.

In the end, probably me putting up woven wire is probably the best thing to do. The glitch with that though is the pasture is along a tree line (along the trail) and old tree limbs and such are frequently coming down. With high tensile - no problem. Every thing spring back up when you take the limb off - woven wire, not so much.

With high tensil you can can attach some plastic bird netting to the wire(run another wire right on the ground to hold the bottom) and that would be enough to keep roamers out.

angus9259":1b18drza said:
That would be my preference, but around here, people think their meat comes from the grocery store and their dogs are more important than the food that feeds them. Thus, if I shot a dog it wouldn't take long for them to run me out of cattle raising altogether. In fact, even if a donkey killed one, I'd probably catch horrible grief that I kept such vicious animals even though it was their dog who got into my fence. You know the story. I'm not really worried about the calves getting attacked (maybe I should be) but mostly getting the cattle started running and out through a fence or gate. Then it would still be my fault. Sadly, I can see why folks are forced to move.

I hear you on that...the more I have to put up with people like that (blaming us for protecting our stock from their dogs) the more I wish life was like a John Wayne movie.......... :help:

BC

Howdyjabo":1sojfr78 said:
With high tensil you can can attach some plastic bird netting to the wire(run another wire right on the ground to hold the bottom) and that would be enough to keep roamers out.

Interesting. Thanks.

BrownCow":1pkm47fc said:
angus9259":1pkm47fc said:

I hear you on that...the more I have to put up with people like that (blaming us for protecting our stock from their dogs) the more I wish life was like a John Wayne movie.......... :help:

BC
John Wayne got shot and killed a lot in some of those movies. Be careful what you wish for. ;-) :cowboy:

I shoot the dang dogs in the head and leave them lay on my land. The owners can come get them if they want. I lost several head to the neighbors dogs several years ago and will not do so again. Understand you live in the suburb area but if it is zoned or you are grandfathered to raise livestock them it should be legal for you to protect your livelyhood. Ask the sherrif about the prospect of defending your property. We have the Castle Law in KY now and that gives us the right to shoot unwanted trespassing animals for any reason. At least that is what my sheriff told me when I called him to look at my 6 dead cows from the neighborhood dogs. My neighbors don't ask me anymore if I have seen their dogs and the dogs they want to keep are tied or in chain link fences and not on my farm unless they are with their owners.

Latest posts