Litton Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
Don't know why, but this popped into my head the other day. When I was a teen there was a Litton Charolais Ranch in Missouri that I got a couple of catalogues from once. Had a famous bull called Sam 951 (I think). Did a google search and all I found was that Jerry Litton was elected to Congress and was later killed in a plane crash.

Anybody know if the ranch is still around and, if not, what happened?

ilfarmer92":1wqt0vys said:
Here are some links I found on Yahoo. I dont know if they help but it seems to me that this Jerry Litton who died in the plane crash had somethin to do with Litton Charolais Ranch.
Jerry was the founder and owner of "Litton Charolais Ranch" several years before he was elected to Congress

I really appreciate the positive influence Charolais cattle has had and continues to have on beef production.

Regardless of what's hot or what's not when you go to the sale barn Char & Char X calves are right there at the top ;-) .

The ranch was sold off after Littons death. The new owners run another breed of cattle for a few years, then the farm was parted out. Was a beautiful farm - big colonial style house and a lot of large gambrel barns. A few years back all of the barns were sold off except for one. They were dismantled and hauled off. Only the house and barn remain today. Still a pretty nice place. The back pasture is now an 18 hole golf course.

ROB

A report I read a few months ago showed the decline of cattle farms in TN over the past 40 years, very sad :( .

I expect it's similar in most areas :?: .

Thanks for the replies, Especially yours, ROB. I kinda figured the place wasn't around any more since you never hear anything about it. Sad how many places end up like that.

MountainFarmChar":pn6tskvu said:
A report I read a few months ago showed the decline of cattle farms in TN over the past 40 years, very sad :( .

Yes, this is the smallest cow herd here in Alabama since 1948. The World War II generation was the great cattle ranching generation. They grew up in the Depression (many on cotton/crop farms) where they learned about livestock, the land, and really really hard work. War taught them how to embrace new technology (tractors, balers, combines, etc). Whether they ranched full time or kept 20 cows and a full time job (or two)they lived to work and believed that they could control their own destiny. Whether they became millionaires or made barely enough to pay their bills they believed that as long as they had title to a piece of property and a way to make a living off of that land they could survive that NEXT Depression. Part of the decline in cattle numbers is due to urbanization; but we have plenty of rural counties who have seen a massive decline in cow numbers in recent years. Heirs and new landowners would rather live in town and grow pine trees or run hunting clubs than mess with cows.

Brandonm2":c7velyr7 said:
MountainFarmChar":c7velyr7 said:

Yes, this is the smallest cow herd here in Alabama since 1948. The World War II generation was the great cattle ranching generation. They grew up in the Depression (many on cotton/crop farms) where they learned about livestock, the land, and really really hard work. War taught them how to embrace new technology (tractors, balers, combines, etc). Whether they ranched full time or kept 20 cows and a full time job (or two)they lived to work and believed that they could control their own destiny. Whether they became millionaires or made barely enough to pay their bills they believed that as long as they had title to a piece of property and a way to make a living off of that land they could survive that NEXT Depression. Part of the decline in cattle numbers is due to urbanization; but we have plenty of rural counties who have seen a massive decline in cow numbers in recent years. Heirs and new landowners would rather live in town and grow pine trees or run hunting clubs than mess with cows.

There was a part of the report that I found very surprising, it stated that around 1960 TN was the second largest beef producer in the US with TX being number one :?: . However, 46 years later we're no where close to that ranking.

Onward & Upward

Most beef cattle are doomed to the butcher's block. Not Sam 951. A 2,500-lb. Charolais breeding bull, Sam lives in a red-carpeted, maple-paneled building, breathes humidity-controlled air. By pampering him, Owners Charley Litton, 56, and Son Jerry, 29, of Chillicothe, Mo., hope to keep the eight-year-old animal going at assembly-line efficiency for at least seven more years. Like other prize breeding bulls, Sam is big business; this year alone, he is expected to sire more than 8,000 calves by artificial insemination.

What makes Sam particularly valuable is that the Charolais is a relatively new and increasingly popular breed in the U.S. The first Charolais in North America were brought to Mexico from their native France in the 1920s. But for years U.S. foot-and-mouth-disease restrictions and Mexican law allowed them to trickle north of the border only periodically. Nonetheless, the creamy-white, deep-chested Charolais quickly caught on with U.S. cattlemen because they are one of the world's heaviest breeds. They grow faster than most cattle; after weaning, many gain 100 lbs. a month. Two years ago, there were 30,000 purebred Charolais in the U.S. Today, there are nearly 50,000, plus another 200,000 crossbreeds.

By doing his part in that population explosion, Sam 951 has been a big moneymaker. The Littons bought Sam as a two-month-old calf for $10,000, soon found that he was perfectly suited for breeding: Sam has the size, color and easy disposition of the best Charolais, has proved unusually effective in passing along those traits to his progeny. A small vial of his semen, enough to impregnate one cow, sells for $10. The Littons sell the semen abroad as well as in the U.S., take in $80,000 a year on such transactions. Looking back on his original investment, Jerry Litton happily calls Sam 951 "an accident."

Nice article.

I am wondering,
scratch.gif

He bought the Charlois calf for $10,000 and "did not know it was going to be a a good Breeder"??? "It was as an accident?" What reason did he buy it (for 10K) for in the first place? Just curious.
why.gif

Ricker":1mgtlu5n said:
Nice article.

I am wondering,
scratch.gif

He bought the Charlois calf for $10,000 and "did not know it was going to be a a good Breeder"??? "It was as an accident?" What reason did he buy it (for 10K) for in the first place? Just curious.
why.gif

He THOUGHT it would be a good breeder; but you never really know whether a two month old calf is going to be a stud or a dud. It turned out well and Mr Litton had a huge influence on the nation's cow herd as a result. I don't really think it was "an accident" as Mr Litton claimed hamming it up for the press; but was rather a calculated risk.

Ricker":1dfl9wfq said:
Nice article.

I am wondering,
scratch.gif

why.gif

I agree with Brandomn, just because a calf has the pedigree etc., doesn't mean that he will pass on anything of value to his offspring. Think of Seabiscuit as an example, wonderful racer, but a dud as a stud. :)

Well the accident part threw me. An "accident" it would seem to me, would be more like buying it for one reason and finding out later it works for another altogether.

A gamble that paid off would seem more appropriat. No biggie. Was just curious.

Very interesting article though.

KMacGinley":10ei5qfz said:
Think of Seabiscuit as an example, wonderful racer, but a dud as a stud. :)

Along those same lines, I read that Secretariat sired a lot of good brood mares, but nothing that came close to him as a race horse. His sire was Bold Ruler, who had sired lots of good racers. You just never know.

I know a little about the Litton Ranch aftermath. I worked for Rainbows End Ranch during the late 70s in Douglas, AZ. I remember receiving cattle with the LCR ear tag, and being in on the tagging of the 2nd or 3rd years of calves there. Our big bull who might have been a "Sam" offspring was Impressive G560. He threw some great show calves and we had a nice string of show cattle we took all over the country. We went in style, with a white semi truck and a semi cattle trailer painted gold!!! Our tack boxes were gold too. The owner was a man named Schoenfelder from Scottsdale, and the manager was Ray Rodriguez. I dated Rays daughter and worked after school and on weekends helping with the string. My boss was Tim Hicks. He was very talented at the showing game and also the wildest man I had ever met! I was 17 or 18 and it didn't take too many trips to major stock shows till I was broken up with the bosses daughter and drinking like a fish!! Anyway our party only lasted about 18 months, and Tim was fired and I was off to clip cattle for an outfit out of Lavina Montana for a winter. As I recall they didnt show much longer than that, and every time I went by the ranch from then on, it looked in worse and worse repair. I look on that time fondly as I learned so much about cattle, and life. I'm a city boy now, but I have on occasion in my 30 years since Rainbows end, happened upon a 4-H kid with a steer at the local fair, stopped and fitted him up to look like a "million" just for kicks!

My family purchased several bulls from the Litton Ranch in the early 1970's and were family friends. The Litton Ranch was donated to the Future Farmers of America following Mrs. Litton's death. Its is now a large FFA Learning Center. Jerry Litton and his entire family was killed in a private plane crash on the eve of his political win. He, his wife and two children all died in the crash. Charley & his wife were at the airport to see him off & witnessed the crash. Very very tragic. Jerry was their only son and the Litton Charolais enterprise withered after Jerry & his families death.
Although our family imported several poled bulls from the Litton ranch in the 1970's , and one was donated to Cal Poly SLO in 1976 (& was used for breeding for 3 years) I believe the Sam line has ended. Charley & Jerry were pioneers in bringing the Charolais breed into the US from France & Canada and their breeding program was specifically designed to enhance polled Charolais.

Jerry Litton was a pioneer in the beef business. He worked with estimated breeding values, the precursor to expected progeny differences, or EPDs. He was also a pioneer in the area of Ultra Sound.

He was an excellent promoter, one year at the American Royal in Kansas City he hired a Playboy Bunny to be around his cattle.

He also published a magazine which not only promoted his breeding program but also that of the Charolais breed. The magazine was called the "Charolais Bull-O-Gram".

He was a wonderful person and his death was tragic and a tremendous loss for our Country. It had and continues to be speculated that had his death not occurred he would have been President.

Latest posts