little baby bunting Kitty's gone a hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Heard the cat meowing outside the door today and thought "Oh crap, what's he brought this time?...."

3rd one this spring, which is good, maybe my garden will make it after all.
I rewarded kitty well with a couple of sardines.

Shortly after my wife and kids moved here they came home with two half lab half bluetick hound pups. I was slightly less than pleased but I must admit that the gopher population had gone from severe overpopulation to threatened species within the last month or so... I'm sure glad they do something right because that wasn't my prediction.

Our barn cats haven't brought on of these home, but they have to let me know, multiple times a day that they have a field rat or a mouse or a gopher or a mole.

This cat was a feral tom that had lived in the Nat'l Forest, that it took me months to calm down enough to pet it or hand feed it. Calm as can be now and sometimes a pita with all his meowing wanting a treat, but the feral instinct never goes away.
Cats figure their 'owners' are so inept at hunting, they have to try to teach us and even do it for us. Cats kill for the fun of it--I watched this one catch a mouse in the driveway one night and keep it just alive enough that it would still try to squirm away when cat threw it up in the air--went on for 20 minutes or so till I finally took the nasty thing away and threw it in the trash bin.

greybeard":2mmnig27 said:
This cat was a feral tom that had lived in the Nat'l Forest, that it took me months to calm down enough to pet it or hand feed it. Calm as can be now and sometimes a pita with all his meowing wanting a treat, but the feral instinct never goes away.
Cats figure their 'owners' are so inept at hunting, they have to try to teach us and even do it for us. Cats kill for the fun of it--I watched this one catch a mouse in the driveway one night and keep it just alive enough that it would still try to squirm away when cat threw it up in the air--went on for 20 minutes or so till I finally took the nasty thing away and threw it in the trash bin.
Our old barn cat, 9 years old, no play, just shows it off then eats it in a heart beat. The young one, 3 years old, she's a player. She'll toss a mouse around as long as I feel like watching. Then gulp, she sucks it down when it quits moving.

We have rats here, and few cats will touch them.. Had a big black tomcat who wasn't scared of them, and you'd see him prancing home with a big one in his mouth.. he was hard on the birds too though!

The pointer had 3 young rabbits on the back porch Saturday. She was quite proud. Glad I walked out before the little ones did, looked like a massacre with bunnies laying everywhere.

found kitten out by road one morning took it to the barn put in some hay gave it some greasy bread till i could get to town latter that day to pick 1 only 1 bag kitten chow. turned out to be best tom i ever had he would drag things over dead get my attention then start throwing it aroud clawing ect like he was telling me how he got it when he was done i would pat him on head hed drag it over eat it ! best rabbit dog woundered on the place 4 yrs ago little begel he would run em for 3 or 4 days then stop at the porch where i had box for him full straw an rest up get some feed and off he go agian but was scared to death of shot gun ! he survived for 3 yrs before cyotes got tired of him running there food off ,found him chewed up one day !

I had an old bob tailed cat that would kill full grown wild rabbits, and bring them to her week old kittens. She like to start them early.