Liquid Supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

Conagher

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with and/or opinions on using the liquid supplement in the tubs with lick wheels for winter supplement? I've use it in the past (~8 yrs ago) and cows stayed fat all winter (almost too fat), but also had plenty of high protein hay and free-choice minerals.

Thanks!

We tried it several year back when we were overstocked and going to be a little short on hay. Problem we had was the cows getting the stuff all over their faces and getting frost bite.

Might not have that problem in East Texas though. I didn't like it too well. Didn't really have a convenient place for the tank that was accessable to the trucks and still keep the cattle out of the mud. Plus it was expensive.

Some folk that are making poor quality hay will treat the round bales with the stuff that goes into the tank. Sposed to do the same thing. Don't know.

Thanks for the reply certherfbeef. The problem I had before was it was basically free-choice so the cows would stand around most of the day feeding off it; and yes it was expensive.

Conagher":5nm4w4wb said:
Thanks for the reply certherfbeef. The problem I had before was it was basically free-choice so the cows would stand around most of the day feeding off it; and yes it was expensive.

I was told that they would back off the useage after a while. Like mineral when they get enough I reckon. Just not to dare let it run out. Mine never seemed to backoff. And the pocket book was getting mighty thin.

If you wanted to regulate their consumption you could put the tank in the corall and let them in to it once or twice a day.
Just a thought...

My experience is they suck and are expensive for the results you will get. If you feed it keep it out and accesable at all times. Make sure the cows have some grass to eat with it.

Scotty

Some of them are just too high, but I've used the Mix30 a couple of different times. I was pleased with it, but it's not ever going to be as good a supplement as a comparably priced cube---just easier. I liked the Mix30 because of the fat content as well as the price. I think it was $185 last year.

The best way I've found to regulate consumption is to move it in relation to your hay and/or water. I've always started off with it too far away from hay/water and then moved it to get the consumption I wanted. One year when I had some really sorry hay, I even had to put it between hay and water to get them to use what I wanted them to have. Best I recall, that consumption was about three pounds/hd/day.

http://mix30.com/

The feed salesmen push liquid around here. They wil even loan you a "free" link tank to get you started!

Lick tanks are cheaper than the tubs, (calculate the $/lb. of protein)\, but more expensive than almost anything else.

I would not use a liquid feed unless you have a major labor shortage.

Latest posts