liquid molassas lick

Help Support CattleToday:

We've got several dealers here and alot still use them mine have licked about 15 gal since Tuesday. I know several that bought the injectors and inject the bales now.

Yea there use to be a tank in every pasture and they swore by them. Not sure what happened but you don't see many any more.

I don't need a test to tell me how good or bad my hay is because the cows will tell me by their consumption rate of the lick. I have some good grass coming on right now and the rate has slowed. When this is gone and I don't have the best grass available they will hit it pretty often. I'm not a nutritionist but the type of feed I'm using is supposed to be formulated for northern Texas and southern Oklahoma.

I have no experience with a liquid lick tank myself. Neighbor have used them, but mostly in late fall through early spring when bugs are not an issue.

Biggest problem I have heard of is pumping the stuff when weather gets real cold. The phrase "slower than molasses in January" comes to mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bought a used one last year only thing wrong with it was missing the little fill cap other than that almost brand new. I love it first time they ate it in a hurry the 2nd time it lasted for awhile.

John SD":1aay4beb said:
I have no experience with a liquid lick tank myself. Neighbor have used them, but mostly in late fall through early spring when bugs are not an issue.

Biggest problem I have heard of is pumping the stuff when weather gets real cold. The phrase "slower than molasses in January" comes to mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's pretty thin stuff John. Most of the companies are replacing a lot of the real molasses with other by-products. Still smells like molasses but taste like he//...yes I tried it once. :dunce:

Liquid feeds/supplements are not going away anytime soon... in fact, with better understanding of nutrition and cattle needs, I personally believe that liquid supplements will only increase in use as they can bring specific nutritional needs for your herd.

With that said... not all liquid feed/supplements are the same!! Before you can fully understand what is on the "Label" of your supplement, you must first understand what your cattle's requirements are for that specific mineral/vitamin/protein. A lot of manufacturers simply put just enough trace minerals into their product so that it meets the minimum required amount to make the label... not necessarily meet what your cattle's requirement are! And what's worse, if you read the fine print, you would be amazed at how much a cow would have to consume just to meet that label requirement... were talking 3-5lbs per day per cow! Do your homework and find those liquid feeds/supplements that have the ability to control consumption by adding a controlling agent (usually a "Bitter" supplement). You would be surprised at your cost savings when you have the ability to control intake and at the same time know that you are giving your cattle the nutrition that they need. You should be more concerned with cost per pound, per head / day vs. what the cost of a "Ton" or "Tank" costs... you just have no idea what your actual per head cost really is!

Another disadvantage to liquid feed is the "Lick Wheel" type tubs as pictured by the OP in this thread. The problem with these is that normally they only have two lick wheels. If you are placing one tub per 50 head, I can almost guarantee you that not all of your cows are using it. Typically, the dominant cows will get their turn at the tub and when they decide to walk off, cattle being strong herd animals will usually follow. We have went with open troughs that I will see 6-8 cattle using at the same time.

Like I stated earlier, I am a big proponent of using liquids... just do your homework and find the right product for you and your herd!

TexasBred":3jmbzis1 said:
John SD":3jmbzis1 said:

It's pretty thin stuff John. Most of the companies are replacing a lot of the real molasses with other by-products. Still smells like molasses but taste like he//...yes I tried it once. :dunce:

Down here it's sugar syrup

My neighbor got some QLF one winter in a pickup water tank. Hay was short and he bought some corn stalk bales.

He stood the bales on end and dumped a 5 gal bucket full of QLF on each bale before feeding them. That's the basis for my "molasses in January" comment. :p

Actually, it worked pretty good for him as I remember it, but it was time consuming and a lot of work.

accidental breeder":368kbh78 said:
do you let all the cattle have access to the molasses.doesnt it make them too fat?
Don't know that I've ever seen a cow really gain any weight on liquid feed. Maybe with the high fat stuff they'll have a bit more energy but when you're complimenting low quality hay or grazing they don't gain much. Only used it once and that was my experience anyway.

Never had no major weight gain off of it. I only give it to them when it is really dry and all the grass is dead or in the winter.

go ahead and hang me here but,if you are taking pride in your cattle and want to feed your family and others the best why on gods green earth would you feed your cattle molasses.that means whatever eats that meat is eating sugar.not even the best sugar.why would you do that?go ahead and hang me now or just feed me diabetes.this is why i dont eat at places that serve food through a window.comeon people,think for a minute.just give your babies the molasses and cut out the middleman

i think maybe i need to be put in another group.im not all huggy bear with my cattle but i do this so i know what im eating.i feed my mini pigs old roy but im not going to eat something that i fed dog food.ive got the noose ready i hear yuns coming

accidental breeder":35t7lk6s said:
go ahead and hang me here but,if you are taking pride in your cattle and want to feed your family and others the best why on gods green earth would you feed your cattle molasses.that means whatever eats that meat is eating sugar.not even the best sugar.why would you do that?go ahead and hang me now or just feed me diabetes.this is why i dont eat at places that serve food through a window.comeon people,think for a minute.just give your babies the molasses and cut out the middleman
I hope your not serious because that is one of the most asinine statement I've ever heard.
Maybe you need a refresher in how a animal processes the foods it eats. But hey I guess I could make test strips for people like you to buy so you could check your cows blood sugar and make sure they have never been fed molasses.

Latest posts