Liquid Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

GSaltzman

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience using the liquid fertilizer made by Helena called CoRoN? Looked into using a mix of 2 gallons 25-0-0 and 3 gallons 10-0-10 per acre. Cost around $28 dollars per acre.

I'll just throw this out there and you can throw it right back if you don't like it. On the 25-0-0 you're getting 25lb N per hundred lb of liquid. Assuming the liquid weighs 10 lb/gal, that's 5lb N from the 2 gallons of 25-0-0. On the 10-0-10 (again assuming liquid weight of 10lb/gal) you'll get(for both the N and the K) 10lb/gal X 3gal X 10lb/100lb = 3lb. So, for $28, you'll get 8 lb N and 3lb K per acre. Compare that to granular prices. See what a bag of 15-0-15 costs. You'll get 7.5 lb N and 7.5 lb K per 50lb bag.

Not familiar with that brand but as GP states the amount of actual nutrients you receive will be minimal. Here, we use liquids such as this to dress up vegetables and such just before harvest to give them a prettier shelf appeal and hopefully get more from the buyers. I have done some pasture experiments - granted I'm no scientist - where I streaked fields with low rate liquids just to see how it compared. It seemed to make a difference for about a week maybe two. After that, there was no discernable difference between the control and the test. Of course I'm in a different area and your results might be different but I don't think it would be. If you are like me and like to test stuff out and you don't mind my offering a suggestion, why not try banding streaks on your pasture first to see how this works first. If you do this, also try banding some liquid iron on the grass as well. This will cost you about $6/acre. Compare these two methods in and see if there is any difference between the two.

Jogeephus":h7w9wjks said:
Not familiar with that brand but as GP states the amount of actual nutrients you receive will be minimal. Here, we use liquids such as this to dress up vegetables and such just before harvest to give them a prettier shelf appeal and hopefully get more from the buyers. I have done some pasture experiments - granted I'm no scientist - where I streaked fields with low rate liquids just to see how it compared. It seemed to make a difference for about a week maybe two. After that, there was no discernable difference between the control and the test. Of course I'm in a different area and your results might be different but I don't think it would be. If you are like me and like to test stuff out and you don't mind my offering a suggestion, why not try banding streaks on your pasture first to see how this works first. If you do this, also try banding some liquid iron on the grass as well. This will cost you about $6/acre. Compare these two methods in and see if there is any difference between the two.

If you do this please let us know how it works. You may also try taking your cows off the patch while running the experment. Cows tend to eat the faster growing grass first and if the treated areas are grazed more it might distort the test.

Good point Alabama. That's what I did on my little experiment. I've used Awaken, liquid iron and one other one. All gave it a quick green but it just faded. I did learn that if you want some beautiful colored hay, spraying liquid iron a couple of weeks prior to cutting will enhance photosynthesis and the hay will set a beautiful green that will look wonderful in the bale. If you raised horse hay and could sell it on color - this is truly something to look at.

Latest posts