Liquid feed/mineral.

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
I see a lot of you folks using the lick tubs to feed, or is it a medicated mineral? I realize this is a supplement. But it is worth it? I understand that it's expensive. I need some info on this so that I can make an informed decision. And let the wife :mad: know that were spending more money on the cows :lol: . Thanks, Dan.

Ok, What I've read so far is that its used in the winter to ad to the cattle. To help them through the winter if their body condition isn't up to par. One post said about a dollar a gallon. That doesn't seem to bad. But how much will a cow consume in a day. By the way I feed loose mineral and keep a mineral tub out at all times. Right now its himag due to the fescue. soon it will be maintenance. Dan

I think the molasses based licks are mostly for additional energy, and they'll usually have mineral in them as well. I never use them, I just feed loose mineral/salt. I don't know how much they consume per cow per day.

Mine eat about a .5 to 1# a day when feeding hay. It will make them eat hay no matter the quality. It is high energy and 32% protein. 320. 00 a ton 10.5 # per gallon.
They will all visit it right now but only a lick or two and move on. Before I had grass this spring they would stand at the lick several minutes. I feed loose mineral year round.

we use both types of tubbs the baked an other type of tubb.they are either 16 or 20% protine.we also use a high quality mineral and salt.weve been doing that for 2yrs.our come through winter in great shape.the cows are cycling real good and breeding back pretty quick this year.

In winter to supplement the hay, I use the baked protein tubs that are about 22 % protein. The one I use does not cover the mineral or vitamin requirements. So I keep loose mineral out.

Latest posts