Limping cow

Help Support CattleToday:

John IN

Reaction score
I have a 5-6 year old cow that has started limping, it looks like on both of her front legs. Feet and legs appear to look OK. What should I do for her? If it means anything other cows are fine. Thanks.

The first thing I think of when more then one limb is involved is "fescue foot", but that generally doesn't realy start showing up until a little later in the year when the endophyte gets particularly bad and the grass is heading out. But this year the fescue is heading out here, about a month and a half early. What I do is get her in the chute and hose off the feet very thoroughly and examine thme for the obvious, stones between the claws, or sores of some type. Look particularly close at the rear of the foot just where the hoof proper ends and the leg hair starts. If you are in an area that was a dairy in the past it could be hairy heel warts, although beef cows aren;t usually bothered by them. Feel the hoof walls and the corona and see if they feel hot, that can mean either an infection or fescue foot. Keep an eye on her and watch for improvment or if it gets worse. If possible you could try moving her to another type of forage base.
That pretty much exhausts my ideas.

dun

I have a 5-6 year old cow that has started limping, it looks like on both of her front legs. Feet and legs appear to look OK. What should I do for her? If it means anything other cows are fine. Thanks.

I would first check everything that Dun suggested and then if there is nothing obviously wrong, it could be she is bruised internally. It also might be in the shoulder. We have one cow that limped when it was brought to us (December '03) from the previous owner. It was purchased and left at the previous owner's for 2 months prior to Dec to get bred. When it was delivered they said they thought the bull had broke her down and he would take her back. A vet had looked at her and trimmed her feet before he brought her to the ranch. The ranch I work for said they didn't want to back out of the deal, and we turned her out. She is just now beginning to walk without a limp (about 5 months later).

Do you still have those minature heifers for sale??

Usually if it's a limp on just one corner I alwasy think either footrot or bruised/pulled muscle. Limpin on both is the real poser.

dun

TXBobcat":3rrnignq said:
I would first check everything that Dun suggested and then if there is nothing obviously wrong, it could be she is bruised internally. It also might be in the shoulder. We have one cow that limped when it was brought to us (December '03) from the previous owner. It was purchased and left at the previous owner's for 2 months prior to Dec to get bred. When it was delivered they said they thought the bull had broke her down and he would take her back. A vet had looked at her and trimmed her feet before he brought her to the ranch. The ranch I work for said they didn't want to back out of the deal, and we turned her out. She is just now beginning to walk without a limp (about 5 months later).