Limping Calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
I have a 400lb calf limping on its front left hoof. Just looking at it i can not see anytype of wound. I was able to get a pretty good look at it.

The hoof is swollen pretty good just below its ankle. The calf is not putting much weight on it. The only thing i can think of is maybe snake bit. But then that is just a guess.

I thought i would give it a couple of days and see if it gets any better. If not catch it and take it to the vet. The pasture i have it in does not have any handling facilities.

Any suggestions !

Stepper":wvir9eco said:
I have a 400lb calf limping on its front left hoof. Just looking at it i can not see anytype of wound. I was able to get a pretty good look at it.

The hoof is swolled pretty good just below its ankle. The calf is not putting much weight on it. The only thing i can think of is maybe snake bit. But then that is just a guess.

I thought i would give it a couple of days and see if it gets any better. If not catch it and take it to the vet. The pasture i have it in does not have any handling facilities.

Any suggestions !

Jammed a stick or rock up between its toes.

Twisted the ankle in a hole.

Cut and infected.

Foot rot.

All are possibilities.

No sense doctoring until you know what to doctor for.

You need to catch it - toss it and look at it soonest.

Some of these things get pretty bad pretty fast - and some definitely will NOT get better with time.

Bez>

Well thanks for the advice. I will catch him in the morning.

Latest posts