Limousine

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
What would putting a limousine bull over angus cows result in? Basically, is it just getting the heterosis or does limo bring something really good to the table in particular?

Usually, the limo will round out the backside a bit whereas the Angus tend to be more box-like. Atleast that's what we have found to be the case.

For the past two years I have bred my commercial limousin cows to my PB ranch hand son (Simmental). I'm keeping the good heifers and after 2 more years I will put a PB angus bull on them

Crossing a "muscle breed" with a "fat breed" is usually a good idea for a slaughter animal. Limousine put more muscle on almost all breeds, it also brings growth and feed efficiency.
There is also more heterosis with Angus x Limousine than with for example Angus and Shorthorn, because of the greater genetic distance between the breeds.

I've got my first set of Limo x Gelbvieh calves on the ground, and they look good, On some of my SH cows that are bony the calves sure look thicker, on the meatier GV cows the calves are tanks.

I think there will be slight differences between animals, but you should end up with some nice calves with Limo over Angus, I think it could be a better cross for terminal calves than the Gelbvieh, just because they put more frame on.

ANAZAZI":3cb4ve2c said:
Crossing a "muscle breed" with a "fat breed" is usually a good idea for a slaughter animal. Limousine put more muscle on almost all breeds, it also brings growth and feed efficiency.
There is also more heterosis with Angus x Limousine than with for example Angus and Shorthorn, because of the greater genetic distance between the breeds.

What other breeds do you consider muscle breeds? Limo, Char, being obvious ones? Always considered simm, shorthorn, dex to be multi purpose . Thanks

Two less common breeds that flesh out real well and are good mothers are Aubrac and Murray Grey. Either one would have a good shot of producing bulls that flesh and females that perform for a long time.

bball":1op92b23 said:
ANAZAZI":1op92b23 said:

What other breeds do you consider muscle breeds? Limo, Char, being obvious ones? Always considered simm, shorthorn, dex to be multi purpose . Thanks

Obvious muscle breeds are Blonde d'acuitaine, Piedmontese, Limousine, Parthenais, Belgian blue, Bazadais and so on. I shows when you see the animal. Then there are of course all degrees from there.
What I called "fat breeds" are most of the english breeds, most dairy cattle and the known extreme the wagyu.
Now pick one of the breeds from the first group and one from the second group, cross them and have a slaughter animal with the best of both worlds. A complimentary effect. Or choose cattle more in the middle like the above mentioned Simmenthaler and Gelbvieh, there are of course more breeds in the middle.

ANAZAZI":6tejsk4x said:
bball":6tejsk4x said:
ANAZAZI":6tejsk4x said:

Obvious muscle breeds are Blonde d'acuitaine, Piedmontese, Limousine, Parthenais, Belgian blue, Bazadais and so on. I shows when you see the animal. Then there are of course all degrees from there.
What I called "fat breeds" are most of the english breeds, most dairy cattle and the known extreme the wagyu.
Now pick one of the breeds from the first group and one from the second group, cross them and have a slaughter animal with the best of both worlds. A complimentary effect. Or choose cattle more in the middle like the above mentioned Simmenthaler and Gelbvieh, there are of course more breeds in the middle.

Thanks for the info..of all the breeds listed, limo is about the only one remotely available in my parts. .. some of the talk on here has got me thinking about Gebvieh though..will investigate more. Currently simm angus cross with pleasing results..purchased a shorthorn bull from waukaru to use on heifers with equally pleasing results thus far..biggest difference noted thus far is the simm bull calfs always seemed just a tad dull ( have had to work with several over the years) while the shorthorn seem to land on their hooves and start nursing immediately..I like that part..just waiting to see how they weigh out at wean.

Thanks guys. I could read about this kind of stuff all day. bball what color calves are you getting from your shorthorn bull? I am assuming he is red and white. I have seen pictures of solid white ones.

Only time I have had a limousin to run at me was over her calf. The crazy ones in the past just wanted to get away. Seen my share of mean ones in about all breeds.

Latest posts