Limousine Herd Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

MOcowboy

Reaction score
I am getting ready to purchase some Limousine semen and with the help of you guys I have narrowed down to what I think I want to use but was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the bulls. OLYMPUS TOUCH, B BAR SLATE and JIM DANDIE. They will not be used on heifers but I also don't want to be pulling calves out of my cows either. I will be retaining heifers is the main purpose. Let me know what you guys Think.

Watch out for Limo docility.... I'd throw out Jim Dandie just because of -2 docility (bottom 5%)
B BAR SLATE (bw 2.1) would be my choice of the 3.... a good looking bull with docility 24

While Jim Dandie is nice I have to agree with SOB. That Doc score is WAY WAY too low to bring into a herd. Have you considered Wulfs Warbonnet?

I personally like bigger framed cows even tho I do agree a more moderate frame cow is prolly more profitable. Me and my dad have raised commercial limousines for several years and my biggest complaint would be a few of our limousine bulls over the years have thrown some crazy calves and alot of the heifers we have held back look great but don't seem to milk very well. So Maternal traits is very important to me to help improve our heard. With all that being said the crazy calves we have had seem to calm down pretty easy after they are weaned and hand fed for awhile. But I would prefer to just have calm calves lol. I am new to the Limousines when it comes to paying attention to EPDs so I'm not very good with all the breed averages.

MOcowboy":2yrjhlmg said:
I am new to the Limousines when it comes to paying attention to EPDs so I'm not very good with all the breed averages.
You're right about knowing breed average as the place to start with EPD's. Here's a Limo 'cheat sheet' hope it helps.

Limousine breed average epd
calving ease 11
bw 1.3
ww 60
yw 91
sc .60
docility 12
cem 6
milk 22
stay 11
cw 13
re .98
mbl -.34
MTI value 42

Top 20%
ce 14
bw -.20
ww 68
yw 105
sc 1.00
doc 16
cem 8
milk 25
stay 15
cw 24
re 1.19
mbl .01
MTI 52

Bottom 20%
ce 9
bw 2.5
ww 53
yw 78
sc .20
doc 7
cem 5
milk 18
stay 8
cw 4
re .74
mbl -.52
MTI 34

B Bar just posted their sale catalog with some Slate sons in it. Overall, they appear to be good bulls. Maybe a touch straight in the shoulder and a couple look short from hooks to pins, but for the most part, pretty good looking animals. :2cents:

MOcowboy":2rvlyisw said:
I am getting ready to purchase some Limousine semen and with the help of you guys I have narrowed down to what I think I want to use but was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the bulls. OLYMPUS TOUCH, B BAR SLATE and JIM DANDIE. They will not be used on heifers but I also don't want to be pulling calves out of my cows either. I will be retaining heifers is the main purpose. Let me know what you guys Think.
Speaking as someone who breeds Limousin here is my 2 cents. All three bull you have mentioned are good bulls, CF Jim dandie: really stamps his calves and meaty with a more moderate frame (I haven't seen a bad one yet) daughters have some beautiful udders he is an udder improver. FL Olympus touch: really good canadian bull, moderate and milky I've seen a only one daughter in person and she was very nice very good and milky. Now with B Bar slate: https://cla.digitalbeef.com/modules.php ... CPM0221472
No personal experiance and i know nothing about his calves but i would most certainly try him as his pedigree is really good.

Now as far as EPDS go, the fullbloods usually don't get enough data on them because very few purebred breeders use them, I don't typically pay alot of attention to them any more.. The EPD's don't make the animal. Disposition is largely handling imho. Now with all that aside about 1 in 10 Jim dandie calves are more skittish but in my opinion his pro's outweigh his cons BUT that is only my opinion. Edit to add all of these bulls are plenty calving ease

use RUNL Stetson
good EPDs, heavy-muscled,very quiet, have several daughters & granddaughters that are very good cows