Limousin X Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
This year, I retained and used a Hereford bull to breed commercial Hereford cows, in hopes of getting some Hereford heifers to keep for cows. I currently have a Limousin bull with Angus and bwf cows. Not sure how I will divide the herd next year, but am wondering how Hereford Limousin cross would be both in terms of replacement heifers, and for steers fattened for beef?

KNERSIE":2d9l4lzy said:
Great for steers, terrible for making cows.
+1 They sell great here as feeders back to the farm buyers won't touch them.
Limms got real popular here and failed quickly made some of the best looking calves off Braford type cattle the majority of the calves in that cross were bat shyt crazy.

I've got a limo bull but I haven't retained any heifers from him yet. My neighbor kept about 40 1/2 limo-1/2 commercial crossbred heifers and they all calved this winter. Never seen better bags on a group of beef heifers. Period. The limo bull is also has pretty high milking EPDs. So I'd say a lot of it depends on the particular bull and also the cow. But I wouldn't be scared to try it, depending on my goals of course.

Marketability varies so much depending on region. If we send a Limi or Limi cross animal thru the barn just into MN, we top the market. Last week, we shipped a bull who I just did not like the lack of docility on, he topped the week, not just the day. Then, just a few hundred miles away in MN, Muddy finds that the buyers don't like a Limi influence. I would be concerned with what sells well in YOUR area. As far as good female, the few LimiXHerford crosses we had when we started out were good cows for us. Would I prefer a LimiXAngus in this case, yes. But I don't think you will hate the former either. :2cents:

The Hereford side should sure help the limo side

Somebody had to say it

dun":1b0l5o9k said:
The Hereford side should sure help the limo side

Somebody had to say it

And yet, you can't sell a feather neck in our area to save your life. Baldie, yes, full feather, no. To each their own.

The Hereford would help the cross in my opinion if it is the right Hereford. It would help the docility issue for sure. Red baldies sells almost as well as black baldies and both will outsell anything else. If you are fattening the steers you will be fine. Here the feeder buyers will dock anything they even think has limmie or simmie in them. Even if they are black. Like mentioned above different regions vary. Many breeders and feeders have had docility issues with both along with not feeding as well many times.

If you can't find a gentle bull in the limousin breed you just ain't looking. The limi should help the with the cost of feeding the Herefords. Don't think anything on the planet can eat as much as a Hereford.

RBB, I'm sure I can find a Simmi and a Shorthorn that'll out-eat a hereford.

There are certainly good DOCILE bulls to be had in Limos, and I haven't been disappointed in mine.. He's pretty darned cool. His calves are among the calmest I've ever had as well. I had one heifer I retained last year I wasn't so sure about, a little flighty and headstrong, she's come around nicely now. The 4 of this year's heifers are a bunch of suck ups.

I think if you have quality stock on both sides it doesn't matter too much what the breeds are, I think a Limo/Gelbvieh could make a pretty good combination too.

Red Bull Breeder":f4jfebvn said:
If you can't find a gentle bull in the limousin breed you just ain't looking. The limi should help the with the cost of feeding the Herefords. Don't think anything on the planet can eat as much as a Hereford.

The limousin bull that I have is definitely calm, as were the other bulls in the field that I picked him from.
Not sure about the Herefords eating more than others though. Most of the Hereford cows that I have stay in pretty good shape and don't seem any more anxious to come up to eat than any of the others.

I have seen some Hereford Limousin cross cows that would be hard to beat for any operation in the Plains or Northwest parts of the country...they gave just the correct amount of milk and bred back in good time...always stayed in good shape and were tough as nails in taking bad weather cold or dry.

Latest posts