Limousin Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Have been having trouble with a bull that has become a rogue in recent weeks. I have seen some Limousin bulls for sale close by. I have been using Angus, and Hereford bulls, but I am wondering about a Limousin as these appear to be good and priced reasonable. I have Angus, Hereford, and a few Brahman cross cows. It would be the Angus and some of the Brahman crosses that I would put the bull with. I wonder if this would be a good idea, as I haven't had any Limousins except a few feeder calves?

I have 1 limousin bull and I like him a lot. IMO, they are kinda like a "black Charolais". Good vigor when bred to crossbred cows.

What are your goals? What do you want your bull(s) to do for your herds future? Do you want Terminal calves - or Maternal calves to retain for breeders? Or both! What is the maximum weight you want your retained heifers (future breeding herd cows) to weigh? What about Calving ease, calving weight, weaning weight, rib eye size, marbling score,? - - - - and 0h, yes! How about DOCILITY????? in your new bull(s)??? With the "Rogue" bull that you have now, that should be a high consideration in your mind.

My point here is this: you don't just think about BREEDS? alone!! Not just SINGLE TRAIT SELECTION! You don't "buy a pig in a poke", take him home and say "Oh yea - that aughta' work!"

Use a LOT of common sense when you buy bull(s)! This is not a game you are playing - It is serious business!

DOC HARRIS

I like my Limo bull, his BW's are getting up there though and I avoid using him on heifers, cows have never had a problem though... Calves are meaty with good frames, haven't had him long enough to say how his daughters will perform

DOC HARRIS":2gdnc3u6 said:
What are your goals? What do you want your bull(s) to do for your herds future? Do you want Terminal calves - or Maternal calves to retain for breeders? Or both! What is the maximum weight you want your retained heifers (future breeding herd cows) to weigh? What about Calving ease, calving weight, weaning weight, rib eye size, marbling score,? - - - - and 0h, yes! How about DOCILITY????? in your new bull(s)??? With the "Rogue" bull that you have now, that should be a high consideration in your mind.

My point here is this: you don't just think about BREEDS? alone!! Not just SINGLE TRAIT SELECTION! You don't "buy a pig in a poke", take him home and say "Oh yea - that aughta' work!"

Use a LOT of common sense when you buy bull(s)! This is not a game you are playing - It is serious business!

DOC HARRIS

Thank you for those questions/considerations. I have different bulls for different roles, such as calving ease Angus for heifers, and am using a Hereford bull for some of the cows. As of now, my market focus is mainly just commercial feeder calves, and some heifers are retained to sell as bred heifers.

Docility is very important to me. The rogue bull was selected in large part for his docile nature, and has been very easy to handle, until the last couple weeks when he has become obsessed with going through fences. Usually if they go through there is a reason, a cow in heat, or another bull to fight with, but this one just sees a fence and wants on the other side. One of the concerns that I have with Limousins is just that, along with calving ease.
I was considering one of those bulls initially because of pricing. I have invested quite a bit in bulls over the last few years, and am not really wanting to invest a lot in a bull at this point, as I don't keep them long. I am starting to have some home raised bulls, but am being very selective of them.
You are right it is a serious business, and common sense is needed. I was just thinking that it might be a viable option since it would just be with a few cows.

Red Bull Breeder":2vqwarav said:
Limousin bulls are like all the rest. Right one is great wrong one is trouble. Calving ease limousin bulls are pretty easy to find.

Good summation. Great summation. It's fascinating to me that people label entire breeds by an experience they or worse - their neighbor - has had. It's also funny how we ask questions about an entire breed of bulls expecting they are all the same within that breed. :bang:

TennesseeTuxedo":fkakkwum said:
http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/5597401474.html

What do you think of this one?

Good looking. Probably not perfect. But, to the point of this conversation, what you can't see from the picture is calving ease, temperament, heifer calf size, etc. Besides, we all know limo bulls are as wild as the wind and you can't keep em fenced in to save your life. That's why they are so cheap. Every single one of them is that way. Probably will through big lunker calves too. My cousin had a limo bull in the 70's and had to pull every calf. That's why they had to turn em black hided- had to put some angus in there so they weren't cow killers.

All that said, I'd probably use one at my place. Nice looking bulls.

TennesseeTuxedo":1x25wbvh said:
You mean to say that all Charolais bulls are not cattle killers?

I was told wrong.

:cboy:

Yes, that's actually true. They once let a charolais bull onto a deserted island that was infested with cattle as a means of exterminating the pests. My neighbor told me so. The ones that didn't die had white calves and died of embarrassment.

OK. Now I'm being a jerk. Sorry all. I think Limo bulls are underutilized for what they bring to the table in the beef business. Notably: beef. Yield grade. Muscle. Lean red meat. Protein. Do your calves need that in your market? Or do you need marbleing. If you need marbeling, then pay the extra money for an angus bull. I'm pretty sure you can find one that doesn't go rogue. If you need yield grade then by all means, quit paying EXTRA for a bull that doesn't give that! Find a reputable breeder who can be your guide to the right limo bull for you. I wonder, however, if you find a reputable breeder if the price difference between a limo bull and other breeds is really that different???

angus9259":zet75poy said:
Red Bull Breeder":zet75poy said:
Limousin bulls are like all the rest. Right one is great wrong one is trouble. Calving ease limousin bulls are pretty easy to find.

Good summation. Great summation. It's fascinating to me that people label entire breeds by an experience they or worse - their neighbor - has had. It's also funny how we ask questions about an entire breed of bulls expecting they are all the same within that breed. :bang:

I agree good summation, by Red Bull Breeder. I wasn't trying to label an entire breed, and while I was asking questions about a breed, it was in the context of seeking generalizations as to what their strengths and weaknesses, as well as other folks opinions and experiences with using them. I haven't had any Limousin breeding stock so I don't have first hand knowledge with them. I realize there are big differences within breeds, and wasn't intending to be negative, I'm sorry if I was. While I haven't had any Limousin breeding stock, I have had some feeder cattle, and almost kept 4-5 red Limousin heifers a few years back to see how they would do as cows, I really liked them.

TennesseeTuxedo":4sfnndb8 said:

Either it's the pic or their backs are $hit. :2cents: Red Bull :clap: well said

frieghttrain":20vdvu0g said:
TennesseeTuxedo":20vdvu0g said:

Please explain what you mean by this.

JMJ Farms":3hb3ptir said:
frieghttrain":3hb3ptir said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3hb3ptir said:

Please explain what you mean by this.

Not exactly how I would put it but, I think he is reffering to a weak top line on the one. The other roaches terribly. Honestly, there is something wrong with the back leg structure, that concerns me most on the one one with the poor topline, but it is admittedly a poor picture to judge from. The weak top line is at least in part caused by the lack of set to the hocks. Its all in the angles, and the bull pictured doesn't have great ones. The other has a bad angle in hooks and pins, that pulls up his loin too far and makes him roach. I'd lay odds this one doesn't stay sound thru an entire breeding season and I'd hazard to guess he doesn't walk smooth as he is now. They look like a ton of other so called Limis I see on the web all the time. They are black, but lack the muscle that makes the breed great. Good ones can be found, but as far as the bulls pictured, I'd keep looking.

Latest posts