Liming prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Wahalak Creek Farms":213p2kz3 said:
We put lyme on our pasture last fall and it looked like it had snowed. Cost $22 ton delivered and spread. New samples aren't just right yet, but the pasture looks great as it is coming out for the spring. Worth every penny to keep your pastures healthy.

J

It will take some time for the lime to reach it's full affect. It's pretty common for the ph to increase gradually over severl years. We go by the rule (our rule) that when the annual increase in ph slows down significantly or starts to ecrease we reapply lime. But we generally don;t use much fertilizer other then what the cows apply during grazing.

dun

I paid $10.50/ton for 200 tons last fall, it is the water treatment lime and is spread at 2 tons/acre in order to get good enough coverage.

Ranchcop":1zilo7qu said:
BC":1zilo7qu said:
[BC quote]
Explain to me why I should not even have to use lime when the soil test says I do. When I bought this place, it had been idle for several years. I did a soil test and it was 4.8. I put on 2 tons at that time and have not had to put lime out in 10 years, but the pH has finally dropped to 5.5. I try to get two or more cuttings of hay plus overseed rye and ryegrass for winter grazing on this piece of ground.
All I am saying is that if you stop using chemicals such as
  • herbicide, pesticide and granular/chemical fertilizers, you will not need to lime. Organic practices will turn your ph back to normal in a year or two and it will stay that way.
I do not know how long the place laid idle before I bought it but I imagine it was several years as I bought the place from an estate where the owner was in the nursing home. Before I bought the place no fertilizer or weed control was done. Just bermuda grass and weeds. Yet pH was 4.8. I burned it off to remove weeds and overgrowth, then plowed and planted the fields into cereal rye and overseeded with ryegrass. I did fertilize with a complete fertilizer because I was into buying worn out cows with calves and upgrading the cow and have a big calf to sell and needed to stock at cow-calf to acre.

My program has changed a little bit but I still need to cut two cuttings of hay and plant and graze winter pasture on the same piece of land. After 10 years of waiting, I was finally able to lease some pasture close to mine. Maybe I can take some of the pressure off and start to incorporate some legumes in my pasture. They just do not seem to work well where you are intensively grazing.[/quote]

:hat: if i was row crop'n then this organic way would be different but when you have animals taking nutiants from the soil and harvesting hay where is my organics to return to the soil other than manure and urine which aint gonna help a whole lot. to control weeds and competition from unwanted grass's and broomsedge, that were controlled grazing comes in :hat:

alacattleman":ff1rcy8g said:
Ranchcop":ff1rcy8g said:
BC":ff1rcy8g said:
[BC quote]
Explain to me why I should not even have to use lime when the soil test says I do. When I bought this place, it had been idle for several years. I did a soil test and it was 4.8. I put on 2 tons at that time and have not had to put lime out in 10 years, but the pH has finally dropped to 5.5. I try to get two or more cuttings of hay plus overseed rye and ryegrass for winter grazing on this piece of ground.
All I am saying is that if you stop using chemicals such as
  • herbicide, pesticide and granular/chemical fertilizers, you will not need to lime. Organic practices will turn your ph back to normal in a year or two and it will stay that way.
I do not know how long the place laid idle before I bought it but I imagine it was several years as I bought the place from an estate where the owner was in the nursing home. Before I bought the place no fertilizer or weed control was done. Just bermuda grass and weeds. Yet pH was 4.8. I burned it off to remove weeds and overgrowth, then plowed and planted the fields into cereal rye and overseeded with ryegrass. I did fertilize with a complete fertilizer because I was into buying worn out cows with calves and upgrading the cow and have a big calf to sell and needed to stock at cow-calf to acre.

My program has changed a little bit but I still need to cut two cuttings of hay and plant and graze winter pasture on the same piece of land. After 10 years of waiting, I was finally able to lease some pasture close to mine. Maybe I can take some of the pressure off and start to incorporate some legumes in my pasture. They just do not seem to work well where you are intensively grazing.

:hat: if i was row crop'n then this organic way would be different but when you have animals taking nutiants from the soil and harvesting hay where is my organics to return to the soil other than manure and urine which aint gonna help a whole lot. to control weeds and competition from unwanted grass's and broomsedge, that were controlled grazing comes in :hat:[/quote]
If that is what you want to believe...... but the USDA is finding out different.
If Organics do not work at you folks say, then why is Wal Mart starting to carry all natural food products? Even Beef! If it is not the way to go for the future then why is Texas Insturments, Google and E-Bay going to feeding their employee's all natural organic foods in their cafaterias??? Sorry to say but when the largest companies in the United States start switching, the time has come to make the move or get left behind. Thats all I have to say for now.... no wait!
One more thing.... I have sold more Organic Fertilizer in the past month then I did the whole year last year. So there must be something to it!

quote]

If Organics do not work at you folks say, then why is Wal Mart starting to carry all natural food products?

Nobody said that there was not a demand for organic products. Walmart sells what someone asked for. They sell Bartlett pear trees and Elberta peach trees in areas that they are not recommended for use also.

Ranchcop,
you never did tell me how to get the production (2 hay cuttings plus rye/ryegrass grazing in the winter) without fertilizing.

BC":346arv14 said:
Ranchcop,
you never did tell me how to get the production (2 hay cuttings plus rye/ryegrass grazing in the winter) without fertilizing.

Never said, dont fertilize, just do it with organic/sustainable practices, and get more production in the long run. Been proven to work!

:cry: I'm going to starve :cry:
I don't/won't shop at Wal-Mart.
Not even for the cheap tires.
Ranch Cop you keep building the customer base for them.
Cause pretty soon they will be selling your organic fertilizer and you won't.

Ranchcop":3iuicigk said:
If Organics do not work at you folks say, then why is Wal Mart starting to carry all natural food products? Even Beef! If it is not the way to go for the future then why is Texas Insturments, Google and E-Bay going to feeding their employee's all natural organic foods in their cafaterias??? Sorry to say but when the largest companies in the United States start switching, the time has come to make the move or get left behind. Thats all I have to say for now.... no wait!
One more thing.... I have sold more Organic Fertilizer in the past month then I did the whole year last year. So there must be something to it!

Wal-mart also sell alot of chemical fertilizers and chemical pesticieds so i guess america's top companies knows best. but they dont sell organic fertilizer around here. shall we rethink this whole being left behind thing.
I for one never have said organics dont work. just dont work for me.

WAL MART caters to peoples wants and needs. you know the benifits of organics is always in my thinking and im not againts it. just aint practical for me.

alacattleman":yl70wlj1 said:
WAL MART caters to peoples wants and needs. you know the benifits of organics is always in my thinking and im not againts it. just aint practical for me.

Wal Mart creates your wants and needs through innovative advertising and marketing. You can find anything they offer thats worth having someplace else.
One world shopping for your convenience. Gimme a break.
You all are up in arms about government control and tracking?
Where is your disdain for the way they track you.
Anyone ever hacks their system it will make some of recent boo boos with information seem miniscule.

dj":2u6kzrz2 said:
Wal Mart creates your wants and needs through innovative advertising and marketing. You can find anything they offer thats worth having someplace else.
Anyone ever hacks their system it will make some of recent boo boos with information seem miniscule.

I dont agree. i shaved before i bought my razors from wal-mart. i brushed my teeth before i shopped at wal-mart. wal-mart doesnt create my needs or wants, they are already there wal-mart just lets me buy alot of it at the sameplace. i buy most of my cloths and toys at the co-op. but then if wal-mart starts carry calhart i'll buy it there or if the co-op starts selling toilet paper, razors, toothpaste i'd buy it there etc, etc.
Are you suggesting that wal-mart is helping the goverment track and control us? interresting, i was just think the other day how did Sam go from selling stuff out of his garage to building one of the biggest if not the biggest chain department stores in this country? now i know. but seriously would it not be easier to use tax returns, and bank accounts, and busness and driver licences etc,etc to track americans or the most of them anyway?

well i remember a few years ago that the wal mart here would ask your zip code on a cash purchace. thought that they were getting a idea about were they might need to build a new store he!! who knows nowdays.

alacattleman":8zyn8acp said:
well i remember a few years ago that the wal mart here would ask your zip code on a cash purchace. thought that they were getting a idea about were they might need to build a new store he!! who knows nowdays.

i remeber that, now sears, lowes, babies 'r' us are now doing it. i tell them i dont have one.......

TheLazyM":1xy4blf8 said:
dj":1xy4blf8 said:

I dont agree. i shaved before i bought my razors from wal-mart. i brushed my teeth before i shopped at wal-mart. wal-mart doesnt create my needs or wants, they are already there wal-mart just lets me buy alot of it at the sameplace. i buy most of my cloths and toys at the co-op. but then if wal-mart starts carry calhart i'll buy it there or if the co-op starts selling toilet paper, razors, toothpaste i'd buy it there etc, etc.
Are you suggesting that wal-mart is helping the goverment track and control us? interresting, i was just think the other day how did Sam go from selling stuff out of his garage to building one of the biggest if not the biggest chain department stores in this country? now i know. but seriously would it not be easier to use tax returns, and bank accounts, and busness and driver licences etc,etc to track americans or the most of them anyway?

I thimk Wal Mart cares to share their database info about like cattle producers want to share their production info with the govment. If you buy tires, oil changes etc. from them you'll notice that can pull that info at any of their stores not just the one your dealing with. That indicates a database somewhere that covers all the customers. Ever been offered a "free" shopping card, usually for $10, to be used for your shopping that day? Hold it up to the light and you'll see the rfid chip that tracks you as you go through the store. No they aren't the only ones that do this. But everybody else is following their business practices. 38 hour work weeks classify you as part-time. No insurance, holiday, pay etc.
Now that they have their own insurance company to capture the expenditures they will be glad to give you insurance.
Anyone else seen first hand a local business shut their doors cause they can't compete? It's coming to your door also.
An example would be the Buffalo, MO store. Cattle panels, feed, feed bunks, etc. So you can get your toothpaste and corn chops in one stop. My how handy till it's the only place to get it.
I feel the push to narrow your calving window to 1 calf crop in 45 days is because Wal Mart wants to purchase/contract a years supply of beef in 3 days. And who wants to enter into a future contract with out knowing what their supply is.

dj":kewm8q7v said:
[I thimk Wal Mart cares to share their database info about like cattle producers want to share their production info with the govment. If you buy tires, oil changes etc. from them you'll notice that can pull that info at any of their stores not just the one your dealing with. That indicates a database somewhere that covers all the customers. Ever been offered a "free" shopping card, usually for $10, to be used for your shopping that day? Hold it up to the light and you'll see the rfid chip that tracks you as you go through the store. No they aren't the only ones that do this. But everybody else is following their business practices. 38 hour work weeks classify you as part-time. No insurance, holiday, pay etc.
Now that they have their own insurance company to capture the expenditures they will be glad to give you insurance.
Anyone else seen first hand a local business shut their doors cause they can't compete? It's coming to your door also.
An example would be the Buffalo, MO store. Cattle panels, feed, feed bunks, etc. So you can get your toothpaste and corn chops in one stop. My how handy till it's the only place to get it.
I feel the push to narrow your calving window to 1 calf crop in 45 days is because Wal Mart wants to purchase/contract a years supply of beef in 3 days. And who wants to enter into a future contract with out knowing what their supply is.

you do know that you can go to any computer in the world with internet access and access your account to this website right? i'm also sure that you know that you can to any computer in the world with internet access and access your account with your ISP. their data base is to help with warrentie issues. yes this info can be abused but thats what it is ABUSE. this measures are'nt to track you thru the world. why do they have to use rfid chips to track me thru the store when they got camerias and can see exatly what i'm looking at and what color even or brand.
If you inter into a contract it doesnt matter what there supply is cause your only liable the numbers on your contract. yup wal-mart has put alot of lil guys out of busness. and i hate that. you know people use to buy most of their stuff from the same place. i believe its was calle a generial store. maybe thats what killed them. maybe they should of never went to just carring curtain things. i like to go to one spot and get everything. you really think it is better to drive 15 miles to buy your food, then other 6 miles to buy toothpaste and what nots, then say 4 miles to buy feed or what ever else then another how many miles to get a couple pvc couplings to fix a water leak. then drive the 20 something miles back home? what since does that make?

WOW! All I did was to mention Wal-Mart a page and a half ago, and look what happened! HIGHJACKED! Ok everyone back on the topic...... wait what was the topic........ oh yea...... Lime.
;-)

Latest posts