Liming prices

Help Support CattleToday:

EIEIO":ukvok2hw said:
Ranchcop":ukvok2hw said:
Way to much! You should not even have to use it!
Brad

I agree 110%!!!! So does the dang broom sedge.

However my fescue thinks different and won't grow good unless I put it on :( .

J
I know of alot of folk along the Red River that have fescue and love it, once again no lime is needed to produce wonderful stands. Just need to treat the soil right in the first place and it will do wonderful things in return. Treat it bad and you will continue to pay and pay and pay.

alacattleman":3g0msa0b said:
Bluestem":3g0msa0b said:
Ranchcop is referring to different management practices. My ph stays around 6.2 to 6.8. Never have needed to lime. Took me a few years to get it there though. Across the fence 5.0 to 5.4 if they're lucky. Some folks are stuck in a box. The rest of us got out of the box and aren't going back.
Im the first one to believe in building up soil fertility. If you had have used lime in the first place it being the cheapest element i wonder how long it would have took you to get your soil ph in the 6's :?:
Well with the proper Organic Program, I have seen soils with ph in the mid 4s go up to the 6s in a year. Most limes take that long to react. I also know of folks that are on Organic Programs, that have perfect soil test results (per the USDA AG DEPT.) that have not used lime or chemicals in over 15 years. Plus they get 50 cents more per pound by selling grass feed beef.

Ranchcop":w8sqoyxe said:
alacattleman":w8sqoyxe said:
you must not have cattle or hay equipment because it hard to take from the soil and not put nutriaints back
Wrong again, you do not have to put on NPK granular fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, and lime to produce cattle and hay. I was just talking to a man yesterday that is right here in east texas that uses organics. He has one pasture that is 10 acres that has 20 momma cows and produces enough grass to feed them all and the momma and calves are very healthy. So I guess it can be done without chemicals.
im sure that this new age sandal wearing way of raising cattle might work in certain areas but not all you will also notice i said nutriants didnt say chemical lime is a natural element

alacattleman":3lmfigia said:
Ranchcop":3lmfigia said:
alacattleman":3lmfigia said:
you must not have cattle or hay equipment because it hard to take from the soil and not put nutriaints back
Wrong again, you do not have to put on NPK granular fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, and lime to produce cattle and hay. I was just talking to a man yesterday that is right here in east texas that uses organics. He has one pasture that is 10 acres that has 20 momma cows and produces enough grass to feed them all and the momma and calves are very healthy. So I guess it can be done without chemicals.
im sure that this new age sandal wearing way of raising cattle might work in certain areas but not all you will also notice i said nutriants didnt say chemical lime is a natural element
It is not new age, we use a program that is thousands of years old and with the latest research and technologies, we have made those practices that are thousands of years old, millions of times more effective. Nothing new here!

Ranchcop":6ciqq0rf said:
EIEIO":6ciqq0rf said:
Ranchcop":6ciqq0rf said:
Brad

I agree 110%!!!! So does the dang broom sedge.

However my fescue thinks different and won't grow good unless I put it on :( .

J
I know of alot of folk along the Red River that have fescue and love it, once again no lime is needed to produce wonderful stands. Just need to treat the soil right in the first place and it will do wonderful things in return. Treat it bad and you will continue to pay and pay and pay.

Never limed my place in NW Arkansas nor did any of my neighbors as it was not needed. Chicken litter or commercial fertilizer every other year though especially on the hay fields.

This place on the other hand had been let go for several years. Pastures rented out, cattle grazed wherever they wanted as all the gates were left open. Had the soil tested and was running a PHs in the 4's in several places. Can't grow much with that.

In the just over 2 years I've been here I now have it crossfenced into 8 seperate pastures all with water. I just had a water line put in and within another month I'll have it divided into 12 or 13 pastures soon as someone makes up my mind.

This is on a 160 acre place so I'm hoping for a good rotational/MIG system to benefit me and this farm and reduce what I have to put back into it.

Found out today our local quary got rid of their crushing machine and don't plan on getting another which means our lime will now all have to be trucked in from at least 90 miles away. Hate to see what that is going to mean to our prices in this area.

J

That chicken litter is the stuff ;-) you can build up soil fertility pronto. wish i could get some too many regulations and complaning neighbors it will send the sedge grass packing and like you say you can skip a year or so between applications

alacattleman said:
That chicken litter is the stuff ;-) you can build up soil fertility pronto.
day late doller short, thats me! i found out last year our Ag dept would cost share poltrey litter for you fields. and boy do i have the place to stock pile it LOL{crazy lady next to my field} he son would probley try to roll it and smoke it ! LOL. oh well i guess that will just keep me out of trouble..
my oldest daughter has a boyfriend who parents run a big turkey farm in northern part of our state.. i told her to hook me up! our soil is so high in acid, it almost off the charts, the lowest field is just right for blueberries, so that what im putting in as of right now i got 100 plants ,i have pastured on section last summer, gonna have it tested to see if there is any change, we are getting so grass now Rose

Ranchcop":2eiw0afm said:
Brad
Explain to me why I should not even have to use lime when the soil test says I do. When I bought this place, it had been idle for several years. I did a soil test and it was 4.8. I put on 2 tons at that time and have not had to put lime out in 10 years, but the pH has finally dropped to 5.5. I try to get two or more cuttings of hay plus overseed rye and ryegrass for winter grazing on this piece of ground.

i gave $75 ton last month i hauled it and spread it. it was all i could find. but then all i bought was 2 ton.
i just dont see how any body can keep a ph level in any soil thats growing something with out adding anything wither is a sand "box" or a lime "box" or any kind of "box". its just how things are done. when things grow they take from the soil and leave acid. you've got to have a way to neutrolize it. i dont see a problem with the "box" i'm in.

BC":3bb2b35g said:
Ranchcop":3bb2b35g said:
Brad
Explain to me why I should not even have to use lime when the soil test says I do. When I bought this place, it had been idle for several years. I did a soil test and it was 4.8. I put on 2 tons at that time and have not had to put lime out in 10 years, but the pH has finally dropped to 5.5. I try to get two or more cuttings of hay plus overseed rye and ryegrass for winter grazing on this piece of ground.
All I am saying is that if you stop using chemicals such as herbicide, pesticide and granular/chemical fertilizers, you will not need to lime. Organic practices will turn your ph back to normal in a year or two and it will stay that way.

Ranchcop":1mrrojjq said:
All I am saying is that if you stop using chemicals such as herbicide, pesticide and granular/chemical fertilizers, you will not need to lime. Organic practices will turn your ph back to normal in a year or two and it will stay that way.

The cleared land around here that has never seen a granual of fertilizer runs so acid that baking soda bubbles on it. It's all organic down the 6inches to a foot till you hit the rock. Oraganic may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it ain;t no silver bullet. Contrary to what the Lone Ranger fans may think there is no silver bullet.

dun

[BC quote]
Explain to me why I should not even have to use lime when the soil test says I do. When I bought this place, it had been idle for several years. I did a soil test and it was 4.8. I put on 2 tons at that time and have not had to put lime out in 10 years, but the pH has finally dropped to 5.5. I try to get two or more cuttings of hay plus overseed rye and ryegrass for winter grazing on this piece of ground.[/quote]
All I am saying is that if you stop using chemicals such as herbicide, pesticide and granular/chemical fertilizers, you will not need to lime. Organic practices will turn your ph back to normal in a year or two and it will stay that way.[/quote]

I do not know how long the place laid idle before I bought it but I imagine it was several years as I bought the place from an estate where the owner was in the nursing home. Before I bought the place no fertilizer or weed control was done. Just bermuda grass and weeds. Yet pH was 4.8. I burned it off to remove weeds and overgrowth, then plowed and planted the fields into cereal rye and overseeded with ryegrass. I did fertilize with a complete fertilizer because I was into buying worn out cows with calves and upgrading the cow and have a big calf to sell and needed to stock at cow-calf to acre.

My program has changed a little bit but I still need to cut two cuttings of hay and plant and graze winter pasture on the same piece of land. After 10 years of waiting, I was finally able to lease some pasture close to mine. Maybe I can take some of the pressure off and start to incorporate some legumes in my pasture. They just do not seem to work well where you are intensively grazing.

dun":nlr0oshc said:
Ranchcop":nlr0oshc said:

The cleared land around here that has never seen a granual of fertilizer runs so acid that baking soda bubbles on it. It's all organic down the 6inches to a foot till you hit the rock. Oraganic may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it ain;t no silver bullet. Contrary to what the Lone Ranger fans may think there is no silver bullet.

dun
The cleared land around here would be about the same, mainly because of all the pine needles. But, by putting the soil on a organic program you can change it back to normal.

BC":2wx7s2tz said:
[BC quote]
All I am saying is that if you stop using chemicals such as herbicide, pesticide and granular/chemical fertilizers, you will not need to lime. Organic practices will turn your ph back to normal in a year or two and it will stay that way.[/quote]

I do not know how long the place laid idle before I bought it but I imagine it was several years as I bought the place from an estate where the owner was in the nursing home. Before I bought the place no fertilizer or weed control was done. Just bermuda grass and weeds. Yet pH was 4.8. I burned it off to remove weeds and overgrowth, then plowed and planted the fields into cereal rye and overseeded with ryegrass. I did fertilize with a complete fertilizer because I was into buying worn out cows with calves and upgrading the cow and have a big calf to sell and needed to stock at cow-calf to acre.

My program has changed a little bit but I still need to cut two cuttings of hay and plant and graze winter pasture on the same piece of land. After 10 years of waiting, I was finally able to lease some pasture close to mine. Maybe I can take some of the pressure off and start to incorporate some legumes in my pasture. They just do not seem to work well where you are intensively grazing.[/quote]

I was talking to a cattleman in the Livingston Texas area on Friday that has been organic now for 6 years. He has 2 cow-calf to the acre.

Ranchcop":y4nq80dj said:
The cleared land around here would be about the same, mainly because of all the pine needles. But, by putting the soil on a organic program you can change it back to normal.

The point is, this is normal for this soil. The last time any ofthis land saw the sun was when they were bulding the transcontinental railroad and cleared it for ties. After clearing it wasn;t farmed, it was allowed to return to it's native/natural/normal state. While a program of adding manure etc, to it amy improve it, to jump start it it still needs lime. That's alwasy seemed strange to me since the underlying material is all limestone.

dun

a farmer friend of mine was telling me about a lime sand. has any one ever use it, wonder if the results are faster, and if last as long as ag lime? suposed to be cheaper here, doug was telling me thay use at the mines. so could get it pretty reasonable.. i need mega bunches of lime on our field, i sure can grow a good crop of broomsage!
Rose

Ranchcop":11gt6r09 said:

Aight now i understand. we dont have to use our "chemicals" as long as we use your "chemicals". but still you seem to miss the point. you have to put back what you take out. the fish oil your putting out has to have a acid neutrualizer to keep the ph. the ph is not just going to keep it's self up just because you use fish waste. i'm sorry its just the cycle. and then theres soils that are just acidey so you got to neutrualize somehow. i'm not going to argue with you who's way is better or right. i like way, i have good results with mine. have you heard the saying stay with what you know?
I guess this guy spreading "organics" has a working system. it would be nice to have ten acres to graze 20 cows and 20 calves with out no outside resource. thats 40 animals living off that small piece of land. i bet you can watch that grass grow. he has to keep it cut or it'll out grow the cows. that makes me tempted to try this out.

Ranchcop":1gpywh1k said:
I was talking to a cattleman in the Livingston Texas area on Friday that has been organic now for 6 years. He has 2 cow-calf to the acre.

shadforth1.jpg

Looks like an Ajax (Angus X Jersey) Those little cows were common back in the 70's. They would be little even in today's moderate frame cattle.

If the guy in Livingston is running those type cows I can see how he was running two pairs. It would take two of those cows to make one decent cow.

We put lyme on our pasture last fall and it looked like it had snowed. Cost $22 ton delivered and spread. New samples aren't just right yet, but the pasture looks great as it is coming out for the spring. Worth every penny to keep your pastures healthy.

J

Latest posts