Lime

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2kttgqhh said:
Chuckie":2kttgqhh said:
Any time you see a pasture with hills of grass growing over the cattle have urninated, the pasture is in need of fertilizer.
And probably dragging as well, tho in my experience, the hills of green grass come from the poop more so than the urine's urea.

another reason is that animals will refuse to eat next to their poop so the grass stays tall there

mab_va, it is pretty neat how all cattle have "laws" instilled in their brains like do all God's creatures. "Do not graze over manure or you will pick up worms." They are all implanted in the brains and put there for a reason. Pretty cool.

We hardly ever put any lime on, this year lowest PH tested at 6.6. Last time a lime truck was on this place was 10 years ago, did put a little pellet lime once as a experiment with a buggy. Was told the high calcium levels of the litter helped reduce the need for lime. So maybe it is true as the soil tests seem to back it up.
On the soil test on Southern States Coop with send them of for free if you buy your fertilizer there.

Chuckie":1t2mgbme said:
mab_va, it is pretty neat how all cattle have "laws" instilled in their brains like do all God's creatures. "Do not graze over manure or you will pick up worms." They are all implanted in the brains and put there for a reason. Pretty cool.

:nod:

I think you're giving them a lot more credit for logical thought then they have. They won;t eat by a manure pile because it deosn;t smell as good as the places away from them. That goes along with the idea that a cow knows she's need a particular mineral so that's what she will eat if all of the minerals are in separate places.

I don't think it is logic to a cow, it is just their law of nature. If I thought my cows were doing some things out of logic, I would be be all over them with a butt whipping. :lol2: Just as law of nature for deer and goats to be browsers. Goats are more susceptible to worms. Even after the piles are long gone, and so is the urine, those spots still remain taller unless the animals are starving to death.
Here is an article telling of the worms that goats will pick up on short forages if anyone is interested in reading it. I don't think they are thinking, "I can't eat short grass because of the worms." It is their law of living and surviving.
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/goats/Resources/GoatArticles/GoatHealth/GoatParasites/ParasiteJB.pdf
Goats are more susceptible to respiratory illnesses than cattle too. Have you noticed how they will run to the nearest building if they feel one rain drop? Some act like Agent Orange is falling from the sky.

All animals follow the same rules of their species, even if a parent didn't show them. It is in their DNA, which is the most complicated thing I can imagine created by intelligence. Their laws are built in, and they all follow them, no matter what. There may be a few exceptions, but it is a silent rule or law to follow for each species. Just as the Mama bird knows to feed her babies when they are hungry. Ever watch a baby bird scoot his hiney to the edge of the nest and poop over the edge to keep the nest clean? His mama didn't tell him to do that. It is a law given to the animals for their well being. It is given to each animal by their creator. :nod:

wbvs58":2pdq7g3a said:
Dun, I have had a couple of soil tests done and the pH has varied from 5-5.5. I can't lay my hands on them at the moment. These tests were done on my better paddocks and things do vary a lot around here the soil is very sandy and acidic all throughout this district.
Ken

Need more glaciers down under!

If you use Durana clover, you would never have to re-seed it. It spreads by stolens and seed. It is like Johnson grass. It has spread from pastures into my bermuda and Zoysia grass and it will soon cover the entire yard. I have never seen anything like it.
The seed is expensive, but the way it spreads, you could under seed it and it soon will spread through out the area. It stays green in the winter time, but stays very tiny below where the cows can grab it. Then on warm days, it will grow. The Army worms took it all the way down, but as soon as they were gone, it is coming back really thick.

I think this clover is so under utilized as no other clover compares to it. I have planted white clover before and red. This clover will grows taller than white ladino clover if left unglazed.

There are 39 different aglime laws in the United States. Anyone that wants to expand their knowledge of lime should visit this website : Reactivelime.org
Being in the business my self I can attest that the grind of the lime ( the fineness ) is as important as the chemistry. Mississippi state has a great extension flier about relative neutralizing value by Dr Larry Oldman. Finally I'm going to let you guys in on a neat trick to test the lime your buying.
Take household vinegar which has a ph of 4 ( about where soil buffers ) and pour about 2 inches into a cake pan. Add a handful of the lime you plan to use, if boils and makes a ton of bubbles ( imagine shaking up a coke ) then it's good lime if it doesn't boil don't waste your money, it's junk. One exception is dolomite lime. Magnesium doesn't boil nearly as we'll as calcium. Feel free to ask any questions about lime. My company produces and distributes aglime in 4 states.

Latest posts