Lime

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
I am putting 3 tons to the acre of lime on in the next few weeks. I was wondering if $12 per ton per acre was a decent price? I pulled soil tests and it appears that is all the farm needs after two years of rotational grazing. The tests called for 1.5 tons low end to 2 tons on the high end but I have some rolling hills and decided to go a little heavier as I felt the price is cheap enough to do this.

With my ph running from 5.8 to 6.4 across the farm what kind of response can I expect in the spring from the lime application? I am using powdered lime from the quarry. Thanks for the responses in advance.

Is that just the lime, delivered, delivered and spread?
What you'll see next spring can vary greatly depending on your soil type and the specs of the lime

im betting that just the delivery price for lime.around here they charge $30 a ton for lime spread,so that would be $60 to $90 ac spread.

That price is for the lime, delivery and spread on the farm. Soil is mostly loamy, hilly and according to the websoil survey it is erroded but I see little evidence of that. I made 20 rolls (5x5) of good hay in the spring we had good rain fall and then grazed to date with only feeding 4 rolls of hay during the drough and probably could have skipped those. I have 25 cc pairs and a bull on 30 acres of pasture that is in the process of being improved and i set aside 10 acres for hay and winter pasture to extend my grazing season. My pasture is KY-31 with red clover and rye in half. The other half will get it this fall and the spring.

Not that high in my area as we are real close to the quarry. Limestone rock grows in lots of our fields. Just gotta plow it to find it. But we still have to lime. That perplexes me.

The amount per acre should be based on the ENM (Effective Neutralizing Material) of the lime. Going much over the amount actually required won;t do much especially as you get closer to a ph of 7

Last fall, we paid $10 / ton delivered and spread. The quarry is 10 miles from the house. We are in Southern Indiana 30 miles northwest of Louisville KY.

bigbull338":3qcecj56 said:
im betting that just the delivery price for lime.around here they charge $30 a ton for lime spread,so that would be $60 to $90 ac spread.

I'm thinking mine was was a little more. Don't know where you are but my lime has to be trucked in from Georgetown, about 100 miles away.

lavacarancher":1m6o1oft said:
bigbull338":1m6o1oft said:

I'm thinking mine was was a little more. Don't know where you are but my lime has to be trucked in from Georgetown, about 100 miles away.

I paid 75 a ton last spring.

bigbull338":3a3u6ezy said:
I would of took that bet with you just to see you lose
there you go again assuming because things in your area cost a certain amount that is the same way everywhere guess your absence didn't make you any smarter

Glad I am not paying those prices for lime. Mine wouldn't be getting it. Amazes me anyone could afford that with the cost of all other inputs.

We are fortunate here in Ky, lotsa' quarries and lotsa roads. Lotsa roads = cheaper lime. Got my lime for my winter oat field put on day before last. 4 tons/acre, 8 acres.

Sizmic

Sizmic we are fortunate there. I still am surprised though with all the limestone in the ground why we must lime. Oh well. My farm needs it. I decided to go 2 tons to the acre all over and retest next summer. Then I will do another application. I want to see the improvement and the effects on the PH after that. Some on here advised to do no more than that in a single application and I have recieved lots of good advice from those folks so I will do that. I will go with Urea in the spring but haven't decided on the rate of application yet.

Chemical fertilizers (or herbicides) will lower the ph. What I do is lime and check it each year until it stops increasing then apply more lime. Usually takes about 3-4 years before it stops going up.

According to CFS (they don't do the lime) the 2 tons should pull my PH to around 6.9-7.1 range on most of the farm. This is adequate for legumes like red and ladino clovers right or did I miss something? My P and K are actually fairly decent and rotational grazing seems to be improving the pastures. Of course I have bought hay and feed it in different areas to spread around the nutrients. Then disk lightly in the spring and sew legume and rye in the bare spots.

dun":2c0jx3ch said:
The amount per acre should be based on the ENM (Effective Neutralizing Material) of the lime. Going much over the amount actually required won;t do much especially as you get closer to a ph of 7

If you surface apply you want the fine grind - - which should also have a higher ENW.
If you surface apply it will move very slowly down - - I was told about 1/2" per year... I would consider a shallow soil test vs. the 6" std once you start adding lime.
If you surface apply I would split applications to improve coverage uniformity and improve cash flow - - perhaps 1 to 2 tons/acre per year.
As you approach 7 the PH effect per ton and the forage production benefit per ton both go down. Red clover production maxs out at about 6.5. Grass production maxs out at less. So only part of your place needs lime...

Thanks Steve that was kinda what I was thinking now confirmed I am going to do 2 tons to the acre on the 35 that need it badly and retest next year shallower than I did this year.

Latest posts