lime

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN":1z915jpf said:
What is a good rate of lime to put down on your fields? How expensive is it?

GMN

You need a soil test as I have had pastures call for as little as 100 pounds per acre to 400.
Lime is cheap here if you buy a 3 ton load, the cost is the truck to come spread it.

I'd have to go dig out the receipt but it was relatively cheap..... I think it was $5.50 ton and $6.50 to spread....... anyway, I agree with Caustic about soil testing....... but hubby's pasture hadn't been limed for several years and he said they usually put on 4 ton/acre so that's what we did last fall. However this field had been producing grains, not grass.

man i wish lime was that cheap around here.here it would cost you $75 to $90 an ac spread for the lime.now that price pays for the lime an spreading.get your soils ph tested.anything below 6.8 an you need to apply lime.the soil test will tell you how meny tons of lime you need to apply.the lime around here comes out of oklahoma.

Its been a stretch since we have done it, and I will have to look at my soil tests I had done last fall, thanks for the info.

Gail

I didn't put out the 5k. Think I put around a ton/acre and are gonna check it again this spring.

PER SOIL SAMPLE--- THIS IS CORRECT-- PUTTING OUT MORE THAN ONE TON PER ACRE AND YA MIGHT AS WELL DUMPED IT IN THE CREEK .
USUALLY TAKES 1 TON PER ACRE PER YEAR TO BRING SOIL PH UP 0.1

LIME IN THE FALL IF YOU ARE LIMING NOW IT BETTER BE FAST ACTING LIME

I put several tons on last summer. 10.50/ton spread. About 14 ton/load. Quarry is about 10 miles one way.
When plowing was common, 3 or 4 tons/acre was a typical recommendation around here. Now, with no-till the recommendation is a ton or ton and a half per acre, but with more frequent applications.
The crop is a factor. Fescue will thrive at a ph level where Alfalfa will die.

Southern Middle Tennessee
26 per ton spread
The problem is my lime sample is not water soluble. It has been sitting for 3 weeks and hasnt changed (raised the pH) of the water. Im not sure how fast this is going to work, should have done something maby up to 8 or at least 7 . It seems to be too coarse, maby I just got a bad sample.
I dont think the lime met the standard for particle size or sieves. Should get some limited reaction within a couple months of the line is correctly sized and the neutralizing value will remain for 2 ot 4 years or so. I have doubts about this lime and it cost 52 per acre and probably will not have noticeable results.

UT test results call for 2 ton for any pH below 6. Historically if it were say 5.4 they would call for 4 tons.

I put 2 tons to the ac. take 2 to 3 years for the results. Soil sample said I could go more so did the sales man. It could use more . it been four years. If you use the pelletize it work right away and 300 lbs. per ac. is enough to start with.

Latest posts