Lime, Fer. and ?

Help Support CattleToday:

alftn

Reaction score
Does anyone apply micro nutrients or rare earth minerals to their pastures? If so in what forms?

My cows do it. when they poop. :lol2:
Most organics applied to the soil are going to add micro nutrients. There may be some commercial sources but I am not aware of any that would be cost feasible for a pasture.
Sludge would be your best bet, but as brought up on another thread make sure it has been tested for heavy metals. Chicken litter would help. I know some that use manure from the sale barn but I would be afraid of bringing in other disease with it.
You would be amazed at how well an abused pasture will come back after a little rest and going back with proper stocking rates and management practices.

alftn":2xyt5x42 said:
Does anyone apply micro nutrients or rare earth minerals to their pastures? If so in what forms?

Lots of fertilizer plants down here have a "micronutrient package" that they will add to blended fertilizer or liquid fertilizer. These ususally consist of nitrate and chloride solutions of zinc, magnesium, calcium, manganese and copper. I've talked with folks that have used it and they swear by it. More hay production and higher quality hay.

Do chicken feathers count? :lol: Just kidding. I use chicken litter sometimes and it seems to add more body to the grasses. Also sometimes use a homogenized fertilizer that has a lot of micros in it as well. But for the most part, I only use NPK and sulfur.

Boron on alfalfa.
Turkey litter or aluminum sulfate on grass.
Lots of salesmen push exotic fertilizer blends for organic farming. I do not think it pays for a commercial operator, and maybe not even for an organic operator.

Latest posts