Lift the cow or Not?

Help Support CattleToday:

skip

Reaction score
Story: Cow had a big calf thursday. Contacted Vet. Cow had paraylsis and cannot get up. Calf died Thursday night. Cow is confined in pasture. Eating and drinking fine. Vet says cow will get up in due time. Neighbors and friends say that after this long she has lost feelings in back legs. She shifts to the other side once in a while and pulls herself around but I can tell she has little strength in back legs. I'm told she needs to be lifted so blood circulation can return to legs. Friend has offered 4" straps to lift. What's the concensus ladies and gentlemen? Do I lift her or give her more time to get up on her own? If the thought is to lift, do you think 4" straps are safe for a 1000 lb. cow.

She needs to be lifted or rolled every so many hours to more evenly distribute her weight. Otherwise the weight of her body can cause paralysis, and the constant pressure on one side of her body will lead to open sores, and possible infection. 4" straps should work, I would think - if in doubt check with your neighbors and vet to see if they have a pair of hip lifters you could borrow.

msscamp":2xjrah82 said:
She needs to be lifted or rolled every so many hours to more evenly distribute her weight. Otherwise the weight of her body can cause paralysis, and the constant pressure on one side of her body will lead to open sores, and possible infection. 4" straps should work, I would think - if in doubt check with your neighbors and vet to see if they have a pair of hip lifters you could borrow.

I'm am with msscamp she need's to be lifted.

rattler

skip":31rjrrgg said:
Story: Cow had a big calf thursday. Contacted Vet. Cow had paraylsis and cannot get up. Calf died Thursday night. Cow is confined in pasture. Eating and drinking fine. Vet says cow will get up in due time. Neighbors and friends say that after this long she has lost feelings in back legs. She shifts to the other side once in a while and pulls herself around but I can tell she has little strength in back legs. I'm told she needs to be lifted so blood circulation can return to legs. Friend has offered 4" straps to lift. What's the concensus ladies and gentlemen? Do I lift her or give her more time to get up on her own? If the thought is to lift, do you think 4" straps are safe for a 1000 lb. cow.

I know you have had the vet at the place - good for you. So many times we read about this and no one has even chatted with one over the telephone.

But it is now late Saturday soon coming Sunday. It may get up - but at present I do not hold out a lot of hope. Granted you might get lucky yet.

4 days on the ground tomorrow.

Might be time to consider dusting off the rifle and finding a cartridge by morning.

Regards,

Bez>

Bez>":2matevxi said:
skip":2matevxi said:

I know you have had the vet at the place - good for you. So many times we read about this and no one has even chatted with one over the telephone.

But it is now late Saturday soon coming Sunday. It may get up - but at present I do not hold out a lot of hope. Granted you might get lucky yet.

4 days on the ground tomorrow.

Might be time to consider dusting off the rifle and finding a cartridge by morning.

Regards,

Bez>

How do you figure 4 days on the ground? She calved on Thursday - no time frame of when calving took place, so this cow has been on the ground at least for Friday and Saturday - possibly part of Thursday. That is 2, possibly 3 days max. I'm a bit confused - is the calendar different in Canada?

If it was Thursday noon - with the trauma of birth I count that as a whole day - All day Friday, all day Saturday and Sunday coming. 4 days tomorrow.

Still a long time on the ground - even by Wyoming standards.

Still think it might be time to plan the main event.

Bez>

Bez>":zujz4btm said:
If it was Thursday noon - with the trauma of birth I count that as a whole day - All day Friday, all day Saturday and Sunday coming. 4 days tomorrow.

Bez>

"Even by Wyoming standards"? :?: :?: Yes, it is a long time on the ground - I'm not going to argue with you on that. I'm not sure I would count Thursday as a whole day, and Sunday doesn't count at all because it isn't here yet and the original poster still has the opportunity to roll the cow - but that is probably just me.

msscamp":23yej9oc said:
Bez>":23yej9oc said:

Bez>

"Even by Wyoming standards"? :?: :?: Yes, it is a long time on the ground - I'm not going to argue with you on that. I'm not sure I would count Thursday as a whole day, and Sunday doesn't count at all because it isn't here yet and the original poster still has the opportunity to roll the cow - but that is probably just me.

That is all right, I am writing from a place that is about to enter Sunday - so the time gets here faster! :shock:

Errr ... well, at least before you! :D

Bez>

msscamp":21gn5lz7 said:
Msscamp is right. Lift the cow and do what you can for her.

Thanks for the responses to my original post. As a note, the cow had the calf at daylight on Thursday morning. It was a cool morning and steam off her and the calf was apparent. On Thursday and Friday morning she did try to get up on her own and came quite close. She shifted herself from her right to left side on multiple occasions during that time. It was late Friday that I saw she was pulling herself around but staying more on her left side. The vet told me it was not necessary to give her penicillin unless she quit eating and drinking. She has certainly not lost her appetite. She eating and drinking fine.

My neighbor is going to give me a hand in lifting her today.

This is where you learn patience. I had a cow stay down 3 weeks and get up. If the cow is changing sides she is doing good. If not you will need to roll her over or help her chnge sides. I am not big on lifting them. I think you can do more damage than good alot of times. She needs time to heal and keep her watered and fed good and work with her. I bet she gets up.

Sorry, I'm not a picture taker and my grand kids are not visiting this week. We've already put 4" straps under her. One is at the brisket and the other just in front of her bag. Chained the straps to welded hooks I have on my tractor bucket. Lifted her just high enough to get her legs under her. Two friends are working her legs a little to increase circulation. She's actually started stand a little on her own but it's going to take more time. She's drinking water as she stands supported by the straps. I'm just watching her closely.

Sorry feelnrite about the lift. Hope it works this time. It's Sunday and I'm sure the Good Lord will help out this old fool and a good cow.

Give her some dexamethazone, and banamine the dex for inflammation the banamine for a feel good drug. keep hip lifting her, or with the straps, and good luck!

Gail

GMN":1r52waqg said:
Give her some dexamethazone, and banamine the dex for inflammation the banamine for a feel good drug. keep hip lifting her, or with the straps, and good luck!

Gail

GMN, are you aware that banamine is also an anti-inflammatory? Would not using both dex and banamine carry the potential for overdosing?

msscamp":1xrtvffc said:
GMN":1xrtvffc said:

Gail

GMN, are you aware that banamine is also an anti-inflammatory? Would not using both dex and banamine carry the potential for overdosing?

Not Gail, but... my vet advocates using both in certain situations because they have different actions that lead to similar results (anti-inflammatory and pain relief).

milkmaid":2sryj4di said:
msscamp":2sryj4di said:
GMN":2sryj4di said:

Gail

Not Gail, but... my vet advocates using both in certain situations because they have different actions that lead to similar results (anti-inflammatory and pain relief).

Thank you, milkmaid. :)

hi,
we've lifted a cow almost everyday of almost a month. we were trying to get her to term. She would sit like a dog. After a month, and after she had lost some weight eventhough she ate like a pig she stood on her own. Because she stood we felt so bad when we had to put her down when she calved the following week. But she was older that Moses or Noah. We would have sold her sooner but she was a share cow with a real old fella my husband helped out. Didn't have the heart to tell him to get rid of her.
Should have taken a picture of her when we skidded her home on a huge piece of metal...sitting like a dog, then laying down, wide eyed snow flying up in her face, snow surfing.
things we do for the animals we love!
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have the time and commitment to work with her daily you could save her. and anti -infamatory like the rest said is a good idea.

Latest posts