lick tanks?

Help Support CattleToday:

Any place that sells the liquid feed would probably have the tanks. My local elevator handles QLF and sells the 4 wheel lick tanks for $300.

Cope & SB, there is an alternative to the lick wheel tanks, Mix30 can be fed in an open top stock tank which you may already have. Hopefully I saved you $300, enough to fill a decent sized tank.

J+ Cattle":1miq7zgk said:
Cope & SB, there is an alternative to the lick wheel tanks, Mix30 can be fed in an open top stock tank which you may already have. Hopefully I saved you $300, enough to fill a decent sized tank.
Save $300 now and spend it later when you can't control consumption?

novaman":205q3nv8 said:
J+ Cattle":205q3nv8 said:
Save $300 now and spend it later when you can't control consumption?
Consumption is controlled the same as it is from a wheel tank. If the cow stands there for hours she's gonna get more then she needs.
One difference between Mix30 and the other liquids is that Mix30 is more of an energy deal then protein, oh yeah, it's also all organic.

With a bad economy seems everyone is wanting to make a sale. I told the liquid feed salesman I would by the feed if he furnished the tank and he did.

Consumption is controlled the same as it is from a wheel tank. If the cow stands there for hours she's gonna get more then she needs.
One difference between Mix30 and the other liquids is that Mix30 is more of an energy deal then protein, oh yeah, it's also all organic.

It's also 60% water... That's why you can use a water trough... When it rains they tell you to take a paddle and stir it up..... 60% water for $150 a ton.... WOW

deenranch":qb6loflb said:

It's also 60% water... That's why you can use a water trough... When it rains they tell you to take a paddle and stir it up..... 60% water for $150 a ton.... WOW
So what's your point? Yeah it's 40% dry matter. What does that have to do with the discussion?

deenranch":3op6nno1 said:

Many bagged feeds are also 40% junk....nothing but filler....give us your recommendations on feeding.

I've been starting to search the liquid feed route, and am really wanting to know if I start feeding this to my younger growing animals, and maybe still feed half of what I am now what kind of savings can I expect?

greatgerts":1nlkth6n said:
I've been starting to search the liquid feed route, and am really wanting to know if I start feeding this to my younger growing animals, and maybe still feed half of what I am now what kind of savings can I expect?
What are you feeding now? Keep in mind that most liquid feeds are geared as a protein supplement and sometimes some energy in the form of fats and sugars. If you are feeding poor to marginal hay the liquid feed will fill in the void nutritionally. If you are feeding good quality hay I wouldn't worry about much other than minerals and salt.

We are feeding free choice hay that is orchard grass and clover. It tested good, but am not 100% on the numbers, as I am at work right now. We are also graining the weaning heifers a 14% protein mix 6.5 lbs a day. The bulls are getting about the same. Each are on their own 5 acre paddock so they are getting plenty of exercise.

greatgerts":j96o0t25 said:
We are feeding free choice hay that is orchard grass and clover. It tested good, but am not 100% on the numbers, as I am at work right now. We are also graining the weaning heifers a 14% protein mix 6.5 lbs a day. The bulls are getting about the same. Each are on their own 5 acre paddock so they are getting plenty of exercise.
They should be getting round as ticks on that ration. The main problem with the liquids is that it's darn hard to move the tank if it still has much in it. Lick tubs or hand feeding grain might be the best solution.

greatgerts":2nnn4qvd said:
I don't think you will see much consumption or difference in the calves weight gain
i have kept protein tubs out when weaning calves basically because they were left over from the previous winter and I wanted to use them up the consumption on these tubs dropped considerably as I increased the feed on the calves

They are growing well. Some better than others. I need to weigh some the bulls again to see which are/aren't going to make the next "cut".
We had looked into brewer's grain to feed the calves being a little more cost-effective, but InBev/AB isn't brewing the beer that it used to, so they could not supply me with any of their grain.
SO, I guess what I am trying to tell the board is, DRINK MORE BEER so I can get some cheap feed!!! I can get it out of St. Louis for $40 a ton which is much better than what we are spending now on this mix from town.

I use the lick tubs, all natural. Only because of the ease of convenience and time. If I made my living off my cattle I would probably go the feed route as it would be more economical. At one time I kept a tub out all winter for the cattle. Because of duns advice I discontinued that practice a couple of years ago. Now I do not bother testing my hay, the cows do it for me. The poop splat test and cattle condition is the best test their is. Lick tubs are used when the poop test indicate I need to. As far as the quality of hay and the type is concerned I do not use high quality hay. I found that the cattle will hustle forage they would otherwise not eat by giving the more palatable hay. When there is going to be temp. drops I feed them cane hay which has a higher sugar content thus helping fight the cold spells. (Brahman burn up a lot of energy when they are cold.) What you do for your cattle will be based on your cattle, your environment, your forage availability, and your opinion.

Latest posts