Lice oddities

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
This year for the first time in a long time we have lice, I think it's from feeding hay.
One of the things I've noticed is that all ofthe Red Angus, cows not calves have rub spots. The blk Angus, Hereford and the crosses don;t seem to be bothered.
Just an observation of one of those peculiar deals.

dun

We always see it on Charolais, and then on a few blacks, old tale is the first warm Spring rain makes the lice go...Dun, I think it's the hay as well. :idea:

The reason I think it's the hay is because it was barn stored, mice, rabbits and birds use the barn as a sanctuary.

We've had a bunch of warm spring rains, but I think putting the mops back up has had more to do with it then the rain.

dun

Crowderfarms":1kxyj16i said:
No doubt, just an old tale.If it will quit raining, we'll put our rubs and face flyps up. Flies are terrible here right now.

The only flys we're really seeing are the house/barn fly types. But all winter long if we got a warm day they were out in force.

These first made apperances, last week,biting types as well. Not one to be seen all winter, even on mild days.But majority are house/barn flies.

Makes me itch just reading about it all. Lice has been a problem here this year. If it doesn't rain all day I will try to get a picture of the way they rub their hide bare and of ringworm for a comparison thread. Since I will be in pasture, camera in hand...any requests?

Cattle lice are host specific; They don't live on mice, rats or humans. Some cattle become chronically infested even with application or injection of ivermectin etc..

Had a heifer that had to be kept up in a stall for awhile and she got lice. A good dose of pour on wormer, and being turned out and the problem has resolved.

I have noticed more lice trouble now than in several years. We are using some stuff called "clean up" it's a pour on for lice only haven't seen any results yet but I'm sure it will help. Reasonable price too.
bif

We've had an especially bad year for lice as well. I think it's because of all the moisture.

Oddly enough, Brahman cattle don't get lice. But they do get "ring rot".. from the wet conditions.

is "ring rot" the F1 hybrid cross resulting from mating "ring worm" with "rain rot"?

Latest posts