Leveling ruts in hay meadow

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsrus

Reaction score
I've got a chance to bid on a hay meadow,it has some rough places in it and part of the stipulations are that the rutting that has been done by ATVs and four wheel trucks have to be leveled out. Some of it is pretty bad and i,m just wondering if i can do the job with just a disk or is it going to take more like hauling in dirt and such to get it reasonably level? You can drive over it in a four wheeler now, but it,s pretty rough.

yes the only way i know of getting ruts or rough spots out of a meadow is with a disk.

You said bid....assumption is you are going to have to pay for the privilege of fixing someone else's screw-up? And what's in place to keep it from happening again...... I'd pass.

Well a long list of other questions need to be addressed before I'd even consider.

Here I go being Southern politically correct again, In this part of Texas I have never hear the words ( hay and meadow) used in the same sentence. Meadow is just a word not used very often down here. :banana: To remove the ruts it will need to be disked and dragged, and then will pop out like crazy.

cowboy43":29k1lmj4 said:
Here I go being Southern politically correct again, In this part of Texas I have never hear the words ( hay and meadow) used in the same sentence. Meadow is just a word not used very often down here. :banana: To remove the ruts it will need to be disked and dragged, and then will pop out like crazy.

:eek: :shock: Don't understand why...it's all I've ever heard em called, well other than hay field or hay patch.

Course, I've never been politically much of anything.... :lol:

1982vett":35u4y7s5 said:
You said bid....assumption is you are going to have to pay for the privilege of fixing someone else's screw-up? And what's in place to keep it from happening again...... I'd pass.

Well a long list of other questions need to be addressed before I'd even consider.

I agree, it,s going to be extra work, but i need the hay really bad. Most of it is ok, just a couple of big spots, maybe 40x150 yds or so. Hay meadows of any kind are hard to find around here, you almost have to inherit them :)

I guess it is a regional or County thing even in Texas, It used to be said their was 5 different accents in Texas .

Born in southeast TX, now live in East TX. Heard them called meadows all my life....what else do you call them? Hay fields? Hay pastures?

Seems like if you need the hay that bad, and it is that hard to get a meadow to bale, you might want to fix the ruts yourself if they are that much of a problem. Someone else might offer to fix them in return for baling. Then you would be out of a hay job.

Latest posts