Let's talk about rope/wick applicators

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":1sk4ams9 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":1sk4ams9 said:
It does not list cost on the web site bigfoot, care to share what it set you back? I need something this spring to hit the spiny pigweed that seems to have plagued our place as of late!

$373 for the 10' that goes on your FEL. They had a pull behind model for $800 and some change. If it kills my broom sedge, the first 5 acres will pay for vs reseeding.

Did you have any luck with this method Bigfoot?

tripleBfarms":c1olxfee said:
Bigfoot":c1olxfee said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":c1olxfee said:
It does not list cost on the web site bigfoot, care to share what it set you back? I need something this spring to hit the spiny pigweed that seems to have plagued our place as of late!

$373 for the 10' that goes on your FEL. They had a pull behind model for $800 and some change. If it kills my broom sedge, the first 5 acres will pay for vs reseeding.

Did you have any luck with this method Bigfoot?

Yes and no. It will kill some, it won't get it all. If someone stuck with it year after year, they may just make a big dent in it. Shy of spending $200 an acre on breaking ground, reseeding, limeing, and fertilizing it's the only effective thing I've done.

An agronomist guy one county over, gave me what might be some good advice. Burn it off in the late fall, and overseed with a forage oat. He said the oat will get the jump on the broomsedge, and shade it. Diminishing it considerably. Graze the oat off, and hope your volunteer warm season grasses take over. Haven't tried, don't know if it'll work, but it is plausible.