Let's talk about rope/wick applicators

Help Support CattleToday:

Smucker Mfg makes one. I haven't used it, but I do have a foam marker from them, it's as dependable as the sun coming up in the morning. They sound like a solid company that takes pride in their products, from reading their website.

JMJ Farms":1wkaqeca said:
http://grassworksmanufacturing.com

I'm emailing back and forth with this company. The 10' unit is $3250. That doesn't include freight. "They" say it will kill broomsedge. If it does, then it's worth it. If it doesn't, then it's a waste. You know anybody that's ran one?

3LEGGED1":23qe74c9 said:
Lime is the only thing I found to get rid of sedge

PH is low on this field. A spread some ag lime on a test plot size area. That was this spring, so it may not have had time to work. Long story short, I see no change in the broomsedge. I don't want to plow the field under, because I have a good stand of fescue mixed in with the broomsedge. I'd like to raise the PH, and kill the broomsedge, and let my very ancient stand of fescue thicken itself back up.

Bigfoot":2nf2f9tr said:
JMJ Farms":2nf2f9tr said:
http://grassworksmanufacturing.com

I'm emailing back and forth with this company. The 10' unit is $3250. That doesn't include freight. "They" say it will kill broomsedge. If it does, then it's worth it. If it doesn't, then it's a waste. You know anybody that's ran one?

No sir. I sure don't.

Bigfoot":2tj0i9ki said:
Long story short, I see no change in the broomsedge.
had 3 tons of lime an acre spread last summer, this year I had the most broomsedge ever, and I'm not the only one, it's everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I've never seen it in the medians on the highways like I've seen it this year, taken over. 2nd year that my fescue did almost nothing after spring, maybe the drought brought it on? Sure wish I could get rid of it.

Kell-inKY":1rfk4ui2 said:
Bigfoot":1rfk4ui2 said:
Long story short, I see no change in the broomsedge.
had 3 tons of lime an acre spread last summer, this year I had the most broomsedge ever, and I'm not the only one, it's everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I've never seen it in the medians on the highways like I've seen it this year, taken over. 2nd year that my fescue did almost nothing after spring, maybe the drought brought it on? Sure wish I could get rid of it.

I agree, my problem goes deeper than PH.

On thick bromesedge about the only herbicide that really works is cold hard steel.Then amend with lime and whatever else is needed for new grass,clover or whatever you decide to sow.

No telling how many thousands of hours I have running one back in the 80's but it's a lot.
They work on some stuff. Prol would on want you are doing.
I don't know where you can get one but try Mobile Farm Supply in Tunica MS.
10 years or so ago I bought a 20' and two 10' ones from them. They made them to order I think. I mad a 38' one.
They can prol just ship you the wicks and you drill and tap the pipe too.

jedstivers":3quhyknp said:
No telling how many thousands of hours I have running one back in the 80's but it's a lot.
They work on some stuff. Prol would on want you are doing.
I don't know where you can get one but try Mobile Farm Supply in Tunica MS.
10 years or so ago I bought a 20' and two 10' ones from them. They made them to order I think. I mad a 38' one.
They can prol just ship you the wicks and you drill and tap the pipe too.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's we sold 100's of the pmc wedge-wik
It had a pressurized tank(pvc pipe) and a small 12v air pump with regulator.
The ropes has a very small perforated tube in the rope that woukd evenly distribute the chemical.

You could build one similar with regular rope wick fittings and a nylon rope

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/r ... 4498536398

Cross-7":1oelb4i8 said:
Back in the late 80's and early 90's we sold 100's of the pmc wedge-wik
It had a pressurized tank(pvc pipe) and a small 12v air pump with regulator.
The ropes has a very small perforated tube in the rope that woukd evenly distribute the chemical.

You could build one similar with regular rope wick fittings and a nylon rope

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/r ... 4498536398

That design is very interesting. It's also a pressurized system. May be more than a simpleton like me could rig.

I bought one at the farm Mach. Show. If the guy that makes it has a web page, I can't find it. It's 10' wide, and attaches to the FEL. It's a 4" piece of pvc wrapped in the type of canvas that a range teepee is made of. I control the amount of glyphosate going to it from the tractor seat. His display one was sopping wet, and not dripping. As far as getting chemical on a weed, I think it will work. Will it kill broom sedge?-------He said definitely, I say we'll see.

I know the best advice on here was to plow it under, and start over. This stand of fescue goes back as long as anybody can remember, and I'm just not going to kill it. I put the equivalent of 6 tons of ag lime to the acre on a little test plot. I don't think it's going to make a dent in it. If I can kill it this way, I'll be happy.

I haven't unpacked it, and probably won't till next fall. I laid it on the trusses in my shop for storage.

It does not list cost on the web site bigfoot, care to share what it set you back? I need something this spring to hit the spiny pigweed that seems to have plagued our place as of late!

Fire Sweep Ranch":3j5opxbj said:
It does not list cost on the web site bigfoot, care to share what it set you back? I need something this spring to hit the spiny pigweed that seems to have plagued our place as of late!

$373 for the 10' that goes on your FEL. They had a pull behind model for $800 and some change. If it kills my broom sedge, the first 5 acres will pay for vs reseeding.