Lethargic calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Scootersangus

Reaction score
HI, I have a calf that was one of a set of twins, now bottle feeding it. Yesterday evening he acted slow and didn't eat with the same gusto. Same today no scours. I took his temp and it was a little under 103 degrees. Any ideas Thanks.

A few questions, may make it easier for you to get some info.

How old is the calf?
Did it get colostrum?
How big is the calf?
How long has it been on a bottle and off its mother?
Is it cooped up in a barn? Have access to "outside" ?

Katherine

was the calf 'off' the milk for any amount of time, say 12 hours? Then did he glutten out? could be the start of Crypto...I say could be...
could be the start of scours, just not seeing the signs yet.
sulfa drug works well
Is he coughing when drinking the milk? Sign of possible pnemonia
any number of drugs work well
did he get chilled?
might be a good idea to check his navel. Is it hot, is there swelling in the joints of the knees? Is there swelling in the navel area? can you still feel the inner cord...thick like...start of navel ill

might be good idea to give some electrolytes just in case and to rebalance his system if it is out of whack a bit

edit...have you seen it poo

That is still too high for temp . That coupled with the symptoms, I would treat him . What do you have to treat him with ?

Larry

Not coughing, was not off milk or chilled. I don't think it has pooed since yesterday.
I have LA200 and pen-g but my vet will be open in the morning.

I would go in the morning and get a shot of Draxxin, if your sure he is not scouring .

Larry

Scootersangus":spwundma said:
Thanks for the info. What is Draxxin and what does it do? If he was scouring what would it do?
I going to see my vet in the morning.

Since you're seeing the vet in the morning, don;t use any preconceived notions that are based on an internet description. After all, that's why you're seeing the vet. To get professional help.

Scootersangus":zzy6ow4j said:
Thanks for the info. What is Draxxin and what does it do? If he was scouring what would it do?
I'm going to see my vet in the morning.
Draxxin is a broad spectrum antibiotic used to treat respiratory disease in cattle . Dehydration caused by scours will cause a calf to be lethargic . At 14 days we would hope to be over the scours, but not always and in that case rehydration therapy would be required . Elevated temp in the absence of scours at 14 days would indicate respiratory disease . As dun said discuss with your vet .Let us know how it turns out .

Larry

Just an FYI. Never rule out scours in a calf that is acting lethargic and won't eat just because you don't see signs of runny poop, especially in a calf less than 2 weeks old. Sometimes the poop is like water and shoots out with such force that there won't be any sign of it on the calves hind legs or the underside of its tail. And what is on the ground looking like where it urinated could be the watery poop.

Alice

Latest posts