Let seed lay, or disc it in?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":1orridb9 said:
Gotcha.. We are getting our 48 hrs of rain now .. I am glad i caught the rain right on time seeing as i planted saturday.
i took all day sat to move our new hay bales and get them covered. then took me most of sunday to spread all that seed. looks like il spend another sat discing it in. How dry would you think it would need to be before i start discing? i would like to get a jump start on it by wed or thur. Thanks

If the tractor doesn;t leve wheel ruts and the dirt turned up isn;t solid mud that will be plenty dry enough

I'm not sure about the fescue this guy's planting, but as I understand it, most grass seed should be no more than 1/8" deep to germinate. That's why it's common to pull a roller over it.

Ruark":gmwcl8wr said:
I'm not sure about the fescue this guy's planting, but as I understand it, most grass seed should be no more than 1/8" deep to germinate. That's why it's common to pull a roller over it.
1/8 or less. Just firm contact with soil is just as good. All burying it does is keeps the birds from eating it. Fescue can stand a bit of depth but brome is ultra sensitive regarding depth.

if it has rained on it it has most likely germinated.....

I planted cover crop on sunday and monday and some was broadcast and some was no tilled....rain tuesday....wednesday we had 3/4 inch sprouts.....

Latest posts