Let me tell you about my DAD!

Help Support CattleToday:

rkm

Reaction score
First let me say in all my 65 years I never met a nicer man. Don't get me wrong, if I did something I shouldn't have he could punish with the best of them. If any of you know what it was like to cut your own switch you know what I mean. But the worst for me was to be scolded by my dad. He could really make me feel guilty. But what I remember the most was that he told me when I done something good or right. He never cut me down in front of other people. Dad was what some may call a simple person, he only had a sixth grade education. But he worked hard and as you had to be in his day a jack of all trades. He survived the depression by hoeing corn for 25 cents a day and trapping fur in the winter. Dad has been dead for 20 years now, but when I go back to our hometown in WVa people still stop and tell me how well they liked my dad.

I wish he was alive today so my grand children could know him. And oh, Did I tell you What nice man he was?

rkm":g32zuvn6 said:
First let me say in all my 65 years I never met a nicer man. Don't get me wrong, if I did something I shouldn't have he could punish with the best of them. If any of you know what it was like to cut your own switch you know what I mean. But the worst for me was to be scolded by my dad. He could really make me feel guilty. But what I remember the most was that he told me when I done something good or right. He never cut me down in front of other people. Dad was what some may call a simple person, he only had a sixth grade education. But he worked hard and as you had to be in his day a jack of all trades. He survived the depression by hoeing corn for 25 cents a day and trapping fur in the winter. Dad has been dead for 20 years now, but when I go back to our hometown in WVa people still stop and tell me how well they liked my dad.

I wish he was alive today so my grand children could know him. And oh, Did I tell you What nice man he was?
I know exactly what you are talking about.

Every single day I wish my Daddy was still here. He was larger than life and he loved his children. And, we loved our Daddy.

Alice

I wasn't even a year old when my father died...he went off to go back to the war...went to the Battle of the Bulge in 1944 and he never came back...I didn't really know what happened back then because I was too young but at least he died for a good cause and he also died in a very respectful way...fighting for what he believe in and to keep me and my brothers and sisters and my mother safe back here in America

The old man will be gone someday soon. A hard nosed SOB who always kept his promises.

A war vet on three different continents. A man who knew what it was to go to the limit.

He gave up hunting after his last tour in Korea. Told me he was tired of killing things.

I watched him cry when my youngest daughter gave him a bouquet of wild flowers on D-Day anniversary at the Cenotaph.

He raised all of us kids to work hard, do our best, honour God, family and country. He was as free with his hugs as he was with his backhand. But all were well deserved.

If any of us ever needed anything - he was there. Sometimes he was there even when we did not ask for him - he just always seemed to show up.

The world will be a poorer place when we put him in the ground.

Bez?

I miss my Dad, his wit his charm and he always made me laugh, he was there when I needed him and when I didn't. He seemed to know when I was in trouble he would phone and ask 'are you OK baby', and he would know in my voice if I was not telling him everything, and no matter what time of day or night it was he was there. He never laid a finger on me, he had other ways of punishment, but he gave the best cuddles when I was hurting, and always told me he loved me, and through his own grief when my Mum died he was there for me, seeing me thorugh that tough time, as it was only a short time after my Son had died. I wish he was still here, but healthy and well I could not bare to see him suffer again. I love my DAD. and where ever you are Dad 'Happy Daddy's day'. :heart:

My daddy is 83 years old now. He has worked hard all his life doing everything you can think of from working cattle to fixing school busses. When I was a kid, I used to stay out of his way, especially when it was time to bale hay. He was never in a good mood. He built gliders during WWII, a forgotten chapter in that war that was an important part of campaigns like the D-Day invastion. Now that he is older, he likes to take the time to appreciate home and family. He's going blind now, and he has slowly had to give up the things he loves. Camping, driving, helping with elections. But he is a good man who taught me right from wrong, a great work ethic, and to go with my gut feelings when in doubt.

It is our turn to take care of him. It is hard to see him getting old and frail. I feel like every holiday I spend with him will be his last. I only wish I had appreciated him more when I was younger.

Latest posts