Lespedeza outcomes

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
Back this spring there were several of us talking about trying Lespedeza.
How did it work out?

I learned some stuff and had enough good results that I am going to use it again next year.
I made some mistakes and had total failures in some pastures- but in others I had great results.

Next year I won't care about the planting season- and I am just going to spread seed a week before I move calves.
Its real susceptible if it sprouts early. We had a quick early warm spell, anything that came up then didn't make it.
Where I got a good stand its working out GREAT. It is out competing the weeds and the grass around it looks stronger than where I have no Lespedeza(extra nitrogen??). I mowed seedheads and the high weeds last month and the Lespedeza just JUMPED ahead of the weeds trying to come back. It got real dry here last week and everything was shriveled up and crunchy even the weeds. We got a little shower and the Lespedeza exploded again. I had bare spots up around the feeding areas that the Lespedeza just took, so instead of growing weeds I am growing Lerspedeza.
I kept a few calves for the summer that I was going to feed. They are fattening on the Lespedeza , which is phenomenal as around here in the summer I can't usually get anything to gain on pasture. Haven't fed them a drop of feed. I am going to weigh them soon and I am figuring they are putting on 2.5lbs+/day

So far I like Lespedeza real well- except I won't put it in the horse pastures again. They are getting fat as ticks on it and I didn't even get a real good stand in their pasture.

I used Korean because it was supposed to be the best reseeder. I am not going to count on reseeding(too much grazing pressure when it will want to come up) next year so I am going to try Kobe and try to get more leaf.

If I get a more even stand over the whole place I figure I can summer graze a whole load of calves- well worth the cost and effort of seeding.

What regions does it grow in ? And how does it hold up to heat? Also how do you plant it ? Thanks

From what I read it grows real good in Texas. Its getting a pretty good test on drought right now- so far so good.It shrivels up to nothing(same as everything else) but comes back(so far)as soon as it gets some moisture.
I just broadcasted it.
I wonder if I would get a better stand where I had good grass coverage if I drilled it.

Howdyjabo":33lnvtp8 said:
It shrivels up to nothing

Actually that is the big problem in the south. There was a big craze about Lespedeza about thirty years ago here. The only problem was it would choke out the other grasses and when it got dry all you had left was a dust bowl. A three week dry spell and you have nothing. That compared to grass that just goes dormant but is still edible caused many to try and get rid of it, especially if it was on a steap grade. I have a few places that it still grows on my place, and wish it was gone.

I like lespedeza, its been here alot longer than thiry years. Just stay away from the serica. Takes a little ground disturbance in the spring to get it going sometimes.

Speaking of the Serica. Do you know any way to get rid of it without harming the other grasses that are mixed in with it?

ringer":10xaingj said:
Speaking of the Serica. Do you know any way to get rid of it without harming the other grasses that are mixed in with it?
Remedy will work

Thanks for the answers

I have a forty acre pasture that is reclaimed strip mine. It has fescue mixed in with it and gives pretty good grazing in the spring and fall but not so much this time of the year. In the hot weather the Sericea really thrives. The land is surrounded by hardwoods on all sides so I am quite limited on what i can do as far as burning is concerned. I have just been mowing it down really close and this gives the fescue a chance to grow early and late in the year.

Red Bull Breeder":g61n9d44 said:
Pasture Gaurd. No luck with remedy. Get a good burn on it in the spring to get the seed bed kicked in gear. So get more of it killed/
Have been using remedy with good results it seems to works the best if you spray in right when it is starting to bloom here that is usually early to mid June

Angus Cowman":1zmu1tw0 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1zmu1tw0 said:
Pasture Gaurd. No luck with remedy. Get a good burn on it in the spring to get the seed bed kicked in gear. So get more of it killed/
Have been using remedy with good results it seems to works the best if you spray in right when it is starting to bloom here that is usually early to mid June
We don;t have any but a friend of ours has it all over his lake shore. He's been using Remedy to good effect for a couple of years. Problem is he has to spray a couple of times a year. I wonder if throwing some Grazon in the Remedy would preclude that. The nettley fields that I sprayed with Grazon didn't have any the rest of the year and very little for the next 2 years. Little enough that I've been able to spot spray and not boom spray

Most all of the Chemicals discussed are made by Dow Agro science. I would see about contacting a chemical representative for Dow and see what will work the best to accomplish the goal. If it does not work the first time, you should get additional product for respray at no charge or a lower cost. It's their job to know what will work.

ringer":2ppezxe2 said:
Thanks for the answers

I have a forty acre pasture that is reclaimed strip mine. It has fescue mixed in with it and gives pretty good grazing in the spring and fall but not so much this time of the year. In the hot weather the Sericea really thrives. The land is surrounded by hardwoods on all sides so I am quite limited on what i can do as far as burning is concerned. I have just been mowing it down really close and this gives the fescue a chance to grow early and late in the year.
My job focuses on reclaimation of surface mine lands and typically find that one must work with the serica if grazing. Keep it managed in vegetation state as makes it more palatable to the cattle. Mainly roating cattle and do as you say mow if needed. With surface mined ground just no way really to complete wipe it out unless really isolated from other mines. Also, stockpiling fescue will make the fescue stronger. What's your stocking rating on your strip ground? Always interests me.

Sweet_Ag_Girl":bht1rbrs said:
ringer":bht1rbrs said:
Thanks for the answers

My job focuses on reclaimation of surface mine lands and typically find that one must work with the serica if grazing. Keep it managed in vegetation state as makes it more palatable to the cattle. Mainly roating cattle and do as you say mow if needed. With surface mined ground just no way really to complete wipe it out unless really isolated from other mines. Also, stockpiling fescue will make the fescue stronger. What's your stocking rating on your strip ground? Always interests me.
Something Sweet_Ag_Girl is not telling you is she works for the Virginia Tech, mine reclaimation research station which focuses on strip mine use. She can be a lot of help on this subject with a lot of info. Not just info but very correct info. Pick her brain.

kenny thomas":179fjc3p said:
Sweet_Ag_Girl":179fjc3p said:
ringer":179fjc3p said:
Thanks for the answers

Something Sweet_Ag_Girl is not telling you is she works for the Virginia Tech, mine reclaimation research station which focuses on strip mine use. She can be a lot of help on this subject with a lot of info. Not just info but very correct info. Pick her brain.

THanks Kenny for telling everyone my life story!! I'll remember that when I need a volunteer next week. Not sure I have the answers, but I always try.

I could tell them more, like you are smart and getting masters in soils. Pretty darn cute too. :nod: :lol2:
We need a brain on this forum. Too many like me and Angus Cowman. Need a little balance. :cowboy:

I am running twenty cow calf pairs and a bull on this pasture for about thirty days before i rotate them out. I moved them a few days ago and went in and started mowing. After I finished mowing yesterday I broadcast some fescue seed in a few areas that are really light on grass.

Would you recommend going in a overseeding this whole acreage and if you do what kind of seed would you use?

You are not very far from me so I will comment. You wasted your time broadcasting fescue or anything else this time of year. Fescue on mine land will out do almost anything you can plant. If you are going to broadcast do it in the dark moon of Feburary and also include some clover. Graze the sereca hard and fast. It has a tannin that the cattle do not like but if forced to eat it they learn to like it and do great.

Kenny is right!! At least wait till fall to plant your fescue!! You can get a good stand maybe planted around Oct then it will over winter and be ready for grazing. Usually fall plantings will make for a stronger stand. If you keep the serica around 6 inches it will be good for grazing as the tannins will be lower.

Latest posts