Sericea Lespedeza

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus

Reaction score
no known value....weed...
goat people like it because they believe it helps suppress worms in goats....
see...even parasites don't like it...

I've got a lot of this low growing ground cover. The cows love it, they will eat it down to the ground before they even think about touching any fescue. It's a lot better than having ragweed or something, but I agree, it's not exactly the best forage producer around. Mostly grows where there was bare ground at one time.

I will never complain about it, or the wild clover, they both do a good job of keeping weeds at bay and feeding the cows on otherwise poorly seeded pasture.

Gets dry and stemmy after a while.

Sericia is pretty useless. Not much volume, cows won;t eat it and it gets stemmy and dry. The regular lespedeza, i.e common/Korean make a decent but not great legume component in fescue. In hay it drys easier than clover and has more bio-mass than sericia

The condensed tannins are inhibitory to Haemonchus larvae in the stomach - and it's a tall-growing plant, so...if the goats will eat it, it's good for them.

There are some low-tannin selections (like AU-Lotan, from my alma mater) developed for cattle grazing... but I've never heard from anyone who planted them. Posted a query here at CT a year or two back... don't think anyone had ever planted them or had any experience with them.
The old, 'species-type' sericea was, at one time widely planted for erosion control, but is now listed as a noxious weed in some states. My mother remembered walking it on with an over-the-shoulder cyclone seeder on one farm they worked, in Randolph Co., AL , back in the late 1930s... claimed that she threatened to name any daughter she had 'Sericea' (she didn't).
I remember my dad and granddad making sericea hay on a farm we had up in Chambers Co., AL, back in the 1960s. You had to cut, condition, rake and bale in a hurry, or all the leaves would shatter off and all you were left with was a bundle of woody stems. Even at its best, you'd better feed out of a hay rack with a manger underneath, to catch all the leaves - and plan on clearing out all those woody stems every day.

There's a little bit of the old stuff growing on the farm here. I can't say that I can ever notice any indication that the cows or deer ever touch it.

Annual lepedezas, on the other hand... great stuff! I'll differ with shaz... they don't produce major tonnage, but they'll grow well on some pretty poor, droughty ground, are highly digestible/nutritious, and provide the bulk of their production during July/Aug/Sept... when the clovers are slumping due to heat.
A good stand of Marion annual lespedeza saved my herd, back in droughty 1998... and still reseeded well despite almost abusive grazing pressure.

Lucky_P":bmfvmyhy said:
The condensed tannins are inhibitory to Haemonchus larvae in the stomach - and it's a tall-growing plant, so...if the goats will eat it, it's good for them.

There are some low-tannin selections (like AU-Lotan, from my alma mater) developed for cattle grazing... but I've never heard from anyone who planted them. Posted a query here at CT a year or two back... don't think anyone had ever planted them or had any experience with them.
The old, 'species-type' sericea was, at one time widely planted for erosion control, but is now listed as a noxious weed in some states. My mother remembered walking it on with an over-the-shoulder cyclone seeder on one farm they worked, in Randolph Co., AL , back in the late 1930s... claimed that she threatened to name any daughter she had 'Sericea' (she didn't).
I remember my dad and granddad making sericea hay on a farm we had up in Chambers Co., AL, back in the 1960s. You had to cut, condition, rake and bale in a hurry, or all the leaves would shatter off and all you were left with was a bundle of woody stems. Even at its best, you'd better feed out of a hay rack with a manger underneath, to catch all the leaves - and plan on clearing out all those woody stems every day.

There's a little bit of the old stuff growing on the farm here. I can't say that I can ever notice any indication that the cows or deer ever touch it.

Annual lepedezas, on the other hand... great stuff! I'll differ with shaz... they don't produce major tonnage, but they'll grow well on some pretty poor, droughty ground, are highly digestible/nutritious, and provide the bulk of their production during July/Aug/Sept... when the clovers are slumping due to heat.
A good stand of Marion annual lespedeza saved my herd, back in droughty 1998... and still reseeded well despite almost abusive grazing pressure.

the goat people around here buy a serecia meal and add it to the goat feed....I don't think the goats even like it.

I add a little Korean to my pasture overseeding mix with great regularity....was just looking yesterday at a paddock I overseeded about two months ago and it has korean about 12 inches tall now...i even frost seeded some with my clovers in Feb and March and it seemed to do okay....

But Korean is not the same as Serecia....like Luckyp I recall my elders fooling with Serecia Hay....the universities used to push it...and it was a bit better than broom straw. but not a lot....

My Dad used to say it was called 'Poor man's Alfalfa'

I've got what ever kind of Lespedeza volunteers here in west Kentucky. I had to clear some ground that should have never been dozed, after a tornado. A few failed attempts and planting fescue later, and the whole area is volunteer Lespedeza. My cows go for it first.

Sericea Lespedeza is a plant that is good in it's place. Hard to establish with any competition, a great drought pasture option, does not share the N fixed on the roots with other plants like other legumes, deep roots, tolerates poor fertility and cows will graze it after it begins to bloom: tanins move out of leaves at that life state. Best grazing is AU Grazer. You have to be the world's best hay man to get the stuff baled with most of the leaves on it. But goats and sheep benefit from it and I guess wormy cows would too. LSU did some research with sheep and goats. Seems they had to shut the animals in the paddock to make them start eating and once they started they liked it. Need to rest it in the fall to let it build reserves in the roots. Otherwise, not as long lived.

Bigfoot":afztpvih said:
I've got what ever kind of Lespedeza volunteers here in west Kentucky. I had to clear some ground that should have never been dozed, after a tornado. A few failed attempts and planting fescue later, and the whole area is volunteer Lespedeza. My cows go for it first.
If it is erect and the leaves have little pointy tips it's sericea.

hurleyjd":143r7uv9 said:

please understand that this article is a 13 year old marketing piece on legend lespedeza....

it has nothing to do with serecia lespedeza.

there are several good and useful lespedezas .....
and none of them are Serecia...

it is like trying to compare coriente to belgain blues.

Kell-inKY":398whdvs said:
I've got a lot of this low growing ground cover. The cows love it, they will eat it down to the ground before they even think about touching any fescue. It's a lot better than having ragweed or something, but I agree, it's not exactly the best forage producer around. Mostly grows where there was bare ground at one time.

I will never complain about it, or the wild clover, they both do a good job of keeping weeds at bay and feeding the cows on otherwise poorly seeded pasture.

Gets dry and stemmy after a while.

Kell:

I wonder if you are confusing Korean with Sericea?

Sericea is not low to the ground. It stands tall and is rough textured. Korean is low to the ground and is a passable forage. I have lots of Korean, comes in as a later growing forage.

Sericea was used heavily in the reclamation of surface mines. The Division of Reclamation in Kentucky pushed hard to encourage mining companies to use it. A trip to Eastern Kentucky will certainly be an opportunity to see evidence of its past use. Every now and then I see a plant on the farm. Maybe seeded by bird feces. I dislike it.

Dogs and Cows":2ohcqvpb said:
Thanks guys...great discussion. Many different types...I have some that is about 2 feet tall and erect...while some is thicker and more close to the ground...not sure what, but maybe not the same. Anyway, I have a good bit on a back pasture that has been neglected, I'll see if the cows will take to it.

Tim
Look at the end of the leaves. I'll wager the tall stuff has little spikey points on the leaves and the other doesn;t

inyati13":1hdl024d said:
Kell:

I wonder if you are confusing Korean with Sericea?

Sericea is not low to the ground. It stands tall and is rough textured. Korean is low to the ground and is a passable forage. I have lots of Korean, comes in as a later growing forage.

Probably, I honestly wouldn't know the difference because most locals call it by both names, and they are talking about the shorter volunteer type stuff that I have an abundance of.

was doing some field work this morning and stumbled into a patch of serecia...took a photo of it
serecia_lespedesa_1.jpg

Latest posts