Experience with low-tannin Sericea lespedeza?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of annual lespedezas- Korean & Kobe, and 'Marion' saved the day, back in the drought of '98.
Have toyed with trying some of the low-tannin sericea types on a couple of poor paddocks(reclaimed from a stand of 40 yr old planted pines, decimated by ice storm).
Anybody got any experience with AU-Lotan or any of the other low-tannin sericea types? - for grazing, not haying.

There are a few patches of old-timey sericea here and there on the farm, but I never even see the cows nibbling on tender young shoots. Still remember some sericea hay my dad & uncle used to put up, back in the 60s... bundles of woody stems and leaves that shattered off - if you didn't feed over a manger, the cows wouldn't get anything...

From late august on, our cows feast on lespedeza..This was a good year for it for us. Cows love it. Not sure of the variety though...Husband planted it over 20 years ago. I'm not much help, just a lespedeza fan..
We have low-tannin sericea growing wild, cows wont touch it. They may if its small, before i know what it is, but by the time its all woody and tall nothing eats it.

Latest posts