Legend lespedeza

Help Support CattleToday:

I am curious if anyone who has grown this, has done so under irrigation? We are considering planting a cereal this spring with some turnips or something in the mix, but perhaps this might do as good or better?

Update, I ordered 150lb last Monday and it was delivered this Monday. The company seemed very good to deal with. Innoculant(sp) was included in the box. Will spread it this weekend. Yes I know it is not the dark of the moon but I am going to do it anyway. I will let you know how it does.

I am trying Lespedeza for pasture grazing this spring too- I decided on Korean (Legend was too high).
With fertilizer going so high I think growing Lespedeza will make a come back.

Old timer used to grow it and he warned me not to fertilize in the spring(chukar- this is why it probably won't work for you)- said it would kill the stand even after it has been established. And he told me to be patient- the first year stand can be unimpressive and still make a huge turnaround the next year.

The key to the Lespedeza will be to pull the cattle in the fall to give it a chance to grow and then set seed. In Missouri your talking Oct-Nov.

Well got it spread and I am good with fire if it comes up good. Did not have time to run the chain drag over it but might do that later this week.

I was told yesterday that new plantings that fail alot of times were because the inoculant on the seeds was exposed to sun too long. Either when mixing or after being broadcast seeded.

Howdyjabo":3dj1xyx6 said:
I was told yesterday that new plantings that fail alot of times were because the inoculant on the seeds was exposed to sun too long. Either when mixing or after being broadcast seeded.
If it's drilled a lot of times it's drilled too deep too.
The inoculant has nothing to do with germination only nodule fixation.

They said the innoculant organisms (which is needed for it to thrive) is killed by sunlight. Yes it will germinate, but If it doesn't thrive the new stand is less likely to make it.

Don't know why but the instructions on the bag of innoculant said to use as soon as opened. Mine was mixed in the barn, put into the seeder and spread within 30 minutes so it should be ok.

Latest posts