Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FINO'S

• ARABS

• Total voters

Alan

Reaction score
I curious to what kind of horse is liked the least. Not to offend but I'll mini's out of it, I don't consider mini's to be ridable horses. You don't have to point fingers, just vote if you like.

Thanks,
Alan

Dang, you are making it rough on me. There are several there I don't like but for differnet reasons. Now I gotta go weight the reasons and see which of those I dislike the most. ;-)

I want a horse that will earn its keep. That said, I guess I would go with the thorobred. Not that they don't have a use, I'm sure their are lots of people that really like them. They just seem to be too fine boned and hi-strung. I have owned Arabs, QH's, Apps, and Walkers. Any of these can be taught to make a good cow horse.

i voted for thoroughbreds. my next vote would be Arabs and then Appaloosas.

I made up my mind and went with Arabs. You left biters and kickers off of the list Alan. :lol:

Most disliked horse type would have nothing do with breed so much as behaviour - spoiled.

I know this doesn't really fit the poll at all, but I've seen good and poor horses in most breeds, so can't really say there's any that I truly see no redeeming points in.

Second biggest beef would be their owners, as usually they are the root of the bad behaviour.

You know the type of horse I'm referring to?

The kind of horse that tries to nip when saddled; is hard to catch; tries to push or step on their owner when being handled; won't stand to be mounted; lays back their ears or tries to bite or kick other horses when being ridden; hucks a hissy fit when left tied; won't maintain an even gait under saddle; etc?

The worst part of it is that if this kind of horse is sent to you for "tuning up", within a month of it's going home you can almost guarantee that they'll be back to their old tricks. :roll:

Take care.

Interesting poll.

Wife had a Thoroughbred that was a truly wonderful off track horse that did a great job with cattle - plus it could clear a 5 foot fence with ease - mind you wife is only around 105 pounds. That was handy when she had to cut off the cattle that would not go through the gate. Used to make the cowboys sit up and take notice whenever she did that.

Made a good roper as well.

Then she went on to an Appy that was the meanest thing in the area - but fairly good with cows - it bit me once to often - it is buried in the field and not missed.

She bought two Arabs - one is barely a decent trail pony, but the other is probably one of the best "sort 'em out" horses we have ever owned.

Our old Quarter horse Satin - truly the ugliest horse on the planet during her lifetime - had to be the best all round pony we ever owned and she lived a long time. Buried with honour in Satin's Field.

So I go down the road - while I have a true dislike for the Appy breed - that tells me there are good and bad with all types.

We judge them individually on this place.

Bez!

they are a couple differant ones i could have voted but i went with the walker mainly because i live in a area were they are abundent along with there :mad: OWNERS :mad:

Great post Bez!, I have to agree yours and the other post that stated it is the horse not the breed. While I find Arabs and TB's are to hot for my older bones these days I have known some pretty good of both breeds.

I made this poll after handling my wifes TB the other day, like your appy, I truly hate this horse. He's a 16.3 gelding, not a kicker or biter, but he spooks at anything and everything and he has a NFR buck. He's been to 2 good "professional" trainers and both times sent home as "just not a rider". As a 4 year old, we didn't own him at the time, he was turned out in a wet arena and lost his footing and went head first into a stationary jump stand. Broke his nose and had a bad shoulder injury. I realize this may have something to do with his attitude now.

But it changes nothing I HATE THAT HORSE! Why do we still have it? Key words in the second paragraph... my wifes TB :(

Thanks for the good reponses and histories.
Alan

ALACOWMAN":15awn2c3 said:
they are a couple differant ones i could have voted but i went with the walker mainly because i live in a area were they are abundent along with there :mad: OWNERS :mad:

Hey! What's wrong with their owners? ;-)
I own a Walker, a percheron and a paint, (well she was a paint, she greyed out to solid white. 24 years old)
My walker is the best horse I've ever owned. My kids 14 and 8 ride him in the pasture with no halter, bridle, saddle or even a rope tied around his neck. I looked out the window one afternoon and saw what I thought was my oldest son cantering across the pasture on Jake, and thought, "Cool, he's having fun." The I realized it was my youngest, who was 6 at the time! :shock: :eek:
Jake takes care of my when we ride. I trust him completely. We go on those organized trail rides, where 500 or 600 people get together and ride all day. The rides are usually 12 to 18 miles long. I ride him bareback the whole time. Can you tell I love my horse??? :D Unfortunately, he's getting up there in years and I won't be able to ride him much longer. :( He's 21 now. Hopefully we have a few good years still ahead of us.

Oh and I voted for arabs. Most of them are too high strung for my tastes. I hate a horse that will spook at the drop of a hat. I know not all arabs are that way, but most of the ones that I've come accross are flighty, high strung, tempermental, and some too smart for their own good. I try never to ride something smarter than me. ;-)

awwww... alacowman..... hope its the owners you are aggravated with and not the horse itself. That's all I have.

I had a buckskin quarter mare when I was a teenager and she was nice.... the old time stocky, wide barrel type and they've ruined them into a refined horse (perhaps too much thoroghbred thrown in maybe) but for the last 25 years I've had nothing but gaited horses.

However, mine are for trail riding and show. I guess, like any breed, there are some bloodlines I wouldn't want on the place. I've never been fond of the Pride bloodlines (pride of midnight, Pride's Generator, etc.) but to each his own.

I guess I dislike the draft breed the most, but there are good and bad in all breeds.

Whow - TB's and Arabs - The two true Breeds

We like horses - ALL horses - ALL cattle, sheep, pigs, dogs and goats

I picked Walkers because the Pole said "Least"

"A Horse is a Horse" like a "Rose is a Rose"

The true Arab is not what you see now - I hate to see what the breeders have done to them in the past 60 years

V_Key":n5nbs418 said:
Whow - TB's and Arabs - The two true Breeds

We like horses - ALL horses - ALL cattle, sheep, pigs, dogs and goats

I picked Walkers because the Pole said "Least"

"A Horse is a Horse" like a "Rose is a Rose"

The true Arab is not what you see now - I hate to see what the breeders have done to them in the past 60 years

I agree 100%, what the true breed was bred for and what they are now may be completly different.

Alan

I should also mention TB's are breed mostly from Arabs, so it should be the one true breed.

Alan

TB, QH, PAINT, APPY, MORGAN, ARABS I've riden them all and had GOOD Ones in all these Breeds + some dam good x breeds also

In the 50's Paints and Pintos were color Patterens

Paso FINO'S one of my good friend (has passed On) sumggled (sp) them in to the US out of South America - Boy the Stories!

Latest posts