Leasing land.

Help Support CattleToday:

cowtex

Reaction score
I am interested in finding a long term lease on grass with full time care to go along with it for about 300-400 hd of commercial cows for a baldie operation. Anyone have any ideas of what kind of pricing that it would take to pull that off in your area of the country?

Good luck with that one. Even in a good year, with lots of rain, there is no person in the western 1/3 of Oklahoma that owns enough land to handle that many cows year round. West Texas has a lot of large ranches; but they are starving for moisture. Most of the pasture west of Interstate 35 and south of the Oklahoma/Kansas state line is fried.

It might help if you gave out your location. THAT would be really difficult, if not impossible to find in Alabama. Yes there are some acreages capable of handling that many cows, but finding an empty ~1200 acres with good grass, good fences, AND capable management and labor seems really farfetched. Usually, the labor goes, then the fences, then the cows, then it becomes a hunting club/hay fields, then eventually they stop cutting hay and pine trees and blackberry bushes take over.

I am coming out of Texas and Oklahoma. I assume I will have to go North to find the grass where all the moisture has been this year. The key is the care part. If I can get okay with the caretaker and price I could just about go anywhere.

cowtex":c77pwbfu said:
I am interested in finding a long term lease on grass with full time care to go along with it for about 300-400 hd of commercial cows for a baldie operation. Anyone have any ideas of what kind of pricing that it would take to pull that off in your area of the country?
Where did you buy that koolaide? I want some too....

im in south dakota we get 30 for grass in summer time. th eowner supplies mineral and salt and any medicine that would be needed. we take care of fences and riding through them. higher in the winter. i have heard of some getting close to 40 but we dont. i know we are one of the few people around here that get cattle in and ride them as well most just supply grass and fence some places not even the fence.

Lon":1muydrj2 said:
im in south dakota we get 30 for grass in summer time. th eowner supplies mineral and salt and any medicine that would be needed. we take care of fences and riding through them. higher in the winter. i have heard of some getting close to 40 but we dont. i know we are one of the few people around here that get cattle in and ride them as well most just supply grass and fence some places not even the fence.
Hi. So what would what he is looking for cost from your outfit? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":de8u9xnf said:
cowtex":de8u9xnf said:
Where did you buy that koolaide? I want some too....

Are you saying I am drinking cool aid for trying to find a lease place to run cows on ?

No I'm saying I am surprise about the questions you ask considering you have access to 400 black baldies in today's climate. Why don't you share with us your plans and aspirations and then maybe you can get some help.....:) Peace.

Kingfisher":1zwfojqj said:
No I'm saying I am surprise about the questions you ask considering you have access to 400 black baldies in today's climate. Why don't you share with us your plans and aspirations and then maybe you can get some help.....:) Peace.

If you have enough grass that you can lease me to run 400 cows then give me a price and then I will share with you my plans and aspirations. Peace :D

Kingfisher":sdp6jqta said:
Lon":sdp6jqta said:
Hi. So what would what he is looking for cost from your outfit? Thanks in advance.

Lon, thanks for your reply. I will send you an e mail to discuss.

cowtex":x3ytygo8 said:
Kingfisher":x3ytygo8 said:

If you have enough grass that you can lease me to run 400 cows then give me a price and then I will share with you my plans and aspirations. Peace :D
I wasn't trying to get cross with you. I doubt many private places in Texas this year can handle that many cattle on forage. Where are you located?

Wild Cattle":2qdmsqmx said:
I might be able to help you with this in the S.E.Texas panhandle. What is your time frame?

Where in the S.E. part of the panhandle are you? I have a friends in Quannah and McClain, they are selling animals because of the lack of moisture. They would be interested in some rental land as well.

Kingfisher":3kvb7iwr said:
cowtex":3kvb7iwr said:
Kingfisher":3kvb7iwr said:

I wasn't trying to get cross with you. I doubt many private places in Texas this year can handle that many cattle on forage. Where are you located?

Hey was not trying to be a smart ass. We have an operation in N Texas nd S Okla. And are looking to move our comm. operation to other parts of the country where it might rain every so often. If you have any ideas let us know.

well i could see wanting them wear it would rain. we just got 6 in in the last 2 days. would of gladly gave you part of it cause we were wet to begin with so alot of it didnt do any good, but it sure does beat being dry.

Latest posts