Free bull leasing !!

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Our neighbor has offered us free use of his bulls. We live in a major city and have a block of land 3 hours away with 10 cows on it. We had a Murray grey bull but he learnt that if he put his head on a fence post and pushed he could walk through a fence. Our neighbor put him back in a few times but he kept getting out. We sent him off to the saleyards as weren't in a position to take responsibility for his wandering.
Anyway the neighbor very kindly offered us the use of his bulls. When I asked about leasing fees he said he would prefer not to charge. He said and I quote "It may seem bighearted of me but I would actually prefer to have my bull in with your cows than having to worry where your bull is".
It's the perfect situation for us but it got me wondering. Does this type of arrangement happen very often? has anybody here ever done that before as a strategy for problematic neighborhood bulls?

Andrew

i really dont think he ment what he said in a bad way.since he knows yall live along ways from the farm.an cant get a bull in if it gets out.it was his way of saying yall can use my bull an ill keep an eye on him.i know a guy that let his neighbor use 1 of his bulls.because he runs reg cows,an if he bred 1 of the cows the calf would still be pureblood.an not a crossbred calf that he had to cull.

i really dont think he ment what he said in a bad way

I totally agree. I think the world of this guy. We're very appreciative of the arrangement.

i know a guy that let his neighbor use 1 of his bulls.because he runs reg cows,an if he bred 1 of the cows the calf would still be pureblood.an not a crossbred calf that he had to cull.

The motivation is similar here although not because of registered stock. Our neighbor has been selling Angus weaners at the annual weaner sale for the last 16 years and has built up a good reputation to the point where buyers are willing to pay a premium for his proven performance cattle. A crossbred calf from our inferior bull would hurt his hip pocket at the sale.

Andrew

hooknline":2abc7rxe said:
I'd accidently let a calf slip in his next load to the barn if it were me

Our cows are Scottish Highland cows so the calf wouldn't be able to slip in and blend with the rest of the mob. :D
But I agree with the sentiment.

Andrew

The guy is in a nice way telling you he would rather supply you a bull that have yours breeding anything of his. I have and still supply a neighbor a bull for just the same reason. Cheaper for me than loosing money on the calves I might get from a bull he would choose.

kenny thomas":3087noey said:
The guy is in a nice way telling you he would rather supply you a bull that have yours breeding anything of his. I have and still supply a neighbor a bull for just the same reason. Cheaper for me than loosing money on the calves I might get from a bull he would choose.

I totally understand the economic insurance of that.

Sean M":3087noey said:
Have you got any photos of your Murray Grey/Highland crosses Townfarmer? I'd love to see what they look like.

I'm onto it. Give me a few minutes.

KNERSIE":3087noey said:
Why not offer to pay for this bull's pre breeding BSE and sheath wash?

I know what a BSE is. I've had a couple of infertile bulls before. Sheath wash is something I've never heard of. I assume it's to do with preventing spread of STD's.

Andrew

Sean M":3ihiyimq said:
Have you got any photos of your Murray Grey/Highland crosses Townfarmer? I'd love to see what they look like.

Righto Sean Here we go. First up here is the bull in question:

Photo0027.jpg

Here are some of the young murray grey/highland calves

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

Andrew

KNERSIE":s84ip9r7 said:
Sheath wash is something I've never heard of. I assume it's to do with preventing spread of STD's.

Yes, it also helps clearing up minor infections.

Is this something a vet has to do or can you do it yourself? To be honest STD's hadn't even crossed my mind until I read your post

Andrew

They look really good TF. Plenty of rump on that bull as well. I've never seen them before but they don't look too much different to straight MGs, just a bit hairier. It looks a lot like Armidale up there as well.

Sean M":s2xe0urg said:
They look really good TF. Plenty of rump on that bull as well. I've never seen them before but they don't look too much different to straight MGs, just a bit hairier. It looks a lot like Armidale up there as well.

In winter I think they looked a bit like a Galloway. In summer they slick off and look more like a MG. One thing I know for sure is that they grow 3 times faster than the straight bred Highland calves. I consider myself to be patient but man did those purebreds grow slowly.

Andrew

townfarmer":2r9cd8lb said:
KNERSIE":2r9cd8lb said:
Sheath wash is something I've never heard of. I assume it's to do with preventing spread of STD's.

Yes, it also helps clearing up minor infections.

Is this something a vet has to do or can you do it yourself? To be honest STD's hadn't even crossed my mind until I read your post

Andrew

Here it has to be a vet.

Their nice calves Andrew, I think I have a fair idea of where you are from the photos.
That sounds like a good deal with the bull. I often lend out a bull to neighbours, I will probably drop one off this week, it gets him out of my hair for a while. The neighbours cows to me, are no greater risk than my own to the bull, they do not turn them over and introduce new ones of unknown origin, it is a risk I am prepared to take.
Ken

Latest posts