Free Martin??

Help Support CattleToday:

Well
I guess she was open????

1.40 ain't bad if she was open
That another problem story. The barn vet said have her there around twelve noon. I got there at 10:30am and was number 14 in line. Some of the trailers were the long trailer with 3 axles. When I got to unloading pen it was a quarter to twelve. I said I want the vet to check her for PG, he said the vet is already gone, so I just let her go. Nobody can tell the whole truth anymore. I mean if I told you to meet around twelve, I would expect you to be there until a little after twelve at least if it wasn't but 5 minutes. I dont guess the other 15 or more trucks behind me got tested either. Naturally I wanted more $$$ but it is what it is. She weighed 795 lbs, I always put down my est weight and price I think I'll get to help me learn to size up my cows. I said she was 800-850 lbs and hoped for $1.90 lb. But then I didn't know if she was classed as a calf she may have brought a little more. I was 5 pounds off and $450 off. But now she is on somebody else's payroll.

The previous owner of this sale past away suddenly about 3 years or so and his wife took over and sold it to the Swainsboro stock yard. They seem to be good people and fair to their customers. I'm if you haul junk you get junk prices but if you have good looking calves they do alright in price. As I said in an earlier comment on the last 4 calves I took in they weighed 480, 460, 475 and 360 lbs., one brought $3.50 a pound. They averaged $3.15 a pound. I could have kept them for another 2-3 months and if it had been summer with grass I might would have.but when your buying hay to feed you look at things differently.

That another problem story. The barn vet said have her there around twelve noon. I got there at 10:30am and was number 14 in line. Some of the trailers were the long trailer with 3 axles. When I got to unloading pen it was a quarter to twelve. I said I want the vet to check her for PG, he said the vet is already gone, so I just let her go. Nobody can tell the whole truth anymore. I mean if I told you to meet around twelve, I would expect you to be there until a little after twelve at least if it wasn't but 5 minutes. I dont guess the other 15 or more trucks behind me got tested either. Naturally I wanted more $$$ but it is what it is. She weighed 795 lbs, I always put down my est weight and price I think I'll get to help me learn to size up my cows. I said she was 800-850 lbs and hoped for $1.90 lb. But then I didn't know if she was classed as a calf she may have brought a little more. I was 5 pounds off and $450 off. But now she is on somebody else's payroll.
I'd have culled her just for being so small.

At 795 lbs... and her being closer to 3... she would have looked "old"... that was a fair price for her weight and age... and she is off your feed bill and at that weight... she definitely was not one to raise you some of the nice calves you sold for well over $3.00 lb.
You are much better off without her in my opinion.

Latest posts