Leasing by the month

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
I have too much grass! Don't have enough cows to keep up with the grass I have right now. A guy I know is interested in running 15-20 heifers on my pastures for a couple months til winter I suppose. Told him it would be a short term deal, I'm not feeding his cattle in he winter. What would be fair to charge?

Don't have any idea of values in TX. Here it can run from 5 to 15 per head or per cow/calf pair per month all according to the fences, water, grass. What would it cost to feed these heifers in hay and or grain?

Not sure what the going rate for leasing is there, but take your going rate per acre (ex. $25 x 100= $2500) Divide $2500 by 12 ($208.33) should get you a reasonable starting point I guess.

If you are providing facilities, water, fences, etc... basically he only has to fix what he breaks... I would charge $10 per head per month. I would be happy on either side of that deal. Be sure to put an end date in the contract with a penalty for going over so he understands it will end.

Brute 23":bxc8mlyr said:
If you are providing facilities, water, fences, etc... basically he only has to fix what he breaks... I would charge $10 per head per month. I would be happy on either side of that deal. Be sure to put an end date in the contract with a penalty for going over so he understands it will end.
I like this one. Seems fair on both ends

Local guy rents pasture all over for his operation and he pays .75/day/head. Landowner is responsible for fence, water and general care, cattleman takes care of buying salt/mineral, and any vet needs.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2r99j66s said:
You can call the extension office & they should have the "going rate" for your area. $0.33/day/head seems awfully cheap to me. but you are not graining???

That's risky. Our expansion agent is an idiot and will screw you over in a heart beat. If he can screw you out of a lease he will too.

I'm fighting some A&M extension agent some thing or another right now because he told a company trying to lease our land for a ROW that 2 bales to the acre is average for our area. I told the company I wanted that person's contact info to speak to them directly. I wouldn't even cut a field that only produces 2 bales to the acre.

Latest posts